• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Dominance over the Body

Just_me_Mike

What is in question is whether or not the spirit or soul has superiority over the flesh. Not that it is separate completely thus making the body only a carrier, but that it is somehow above in a hierarchical view.

For example, the toe and the brain are both parts of our body, but without the toe we would still be OK, relative to the brain being absent.

So with the same logic the spirit and body are both parts to our existence, but one is not as important.

1st Question: What are your thoughts, and why do you believe what you do?
2nd Question: Does distinguishing one above the other dehumanize us in some way?

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Firstly, it is apparent that our religious beliefs are rather different.
Secondly, my concept of what you would call a 'spirit' or 'soul' is also likely to be different to yours.

Using your toe and brain analogy, I would view the body and the soul as more like a whole body and a brain. Without the brain, the body would still 'exist' but the brain is required for any sort of activity. Similarly, without the body, the brain is pretty much useless. So I think the body and the soul are equally important to existence.

2nd Question: Does distinguishing one above the other dehumanize us in some way?
I'm not sure I fully understand the question, could you rephrase?

GhK.

Just_me_Mike

Greetings

Firstly, it is apparent that our religious beliefs are rather different.
Secondly, my concept of what you would call a 'spirit' or 'soul' is also likely to be different to yours.

Using your toe and brain analogy, I would view the body and the soul as more like a whole body and a brain. Without the brain, the body would still 'exist' but the brain is required for any sort of activity. Similarly, without the body, the brain is pretty much useless. So I think the body and the soul are equally important to existence.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, could you rephrase?

GhK.
To rephrase the second question I would simply say it goes with your first answer. If you make one superior over the other you could be called for dehumanizing who and what we are. So clearly your answer to question two would be yes, it is dehumanizing to give either the soul or body precedence one over the other.

Understand?

GiantHouseKey

To rephrase the second question I would simply say it goes with your first answer. If you make one superior over the other you could be called for dehumanizing who and what we are. So clearly your answer to question two would be yes, it is dehumanizing to give either the soul or body precedence one over the other.

Understand?

No, sorry I should have made myself more clear. I don't understand what you mean by the term 'dehumanize' which was what I was originally trying to relay. How can saying that your soul is more important be considered 'dehumanization'?

GhK.

Just_me_Mike

Rather, I think, what is in question is "cause and effect".
I don't think so Willamena, because cause and effect often times infers a sort of independent relationship. One where something cause the other.

In this situation, both the soul and body already exist (for this thread) and it is to be decided by each person if the soul has dominance over the body, or the body the soul, or both are equal.

Just_me_Mike

No, sorry I should have made myself more clear. I don't understand what you mean by the term 'dehumanize' which was what I was originally trying to relay. How can saying that your soul is more important be considered 'dehumanization'?

GhK.
I understood your point, it was my answer that was not well articulated.
Let me try again. dehumanizing in this situation is where we might say the soul has more emphasis then the body, that the body is simply a carrier, a shell, an expression of the soul. In other words it is not that important, thus dehumanizing who and what we are.
To believe the body is just such a thing requires a leap of certain ideas, and ultimately declares to all, that after this death, I AM FREE! You know what I mean? Like the body is holding us back. That is what I mean by dehumanizing.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Let me try again. dehumanizing in this situation is where we might say the soul has more emphasis then the body, that the body is simply a carrier, a shell, an expression of the soul. In other words it is not that important, thus dehumanizing who and what we are.
To believe the body is just such a thing requires a leap of certain ideas, and ultimately declares to all, that after this death, I AM FREE! You know what I mean? Like the body is holding us back. That is what I mean by dehumanizing.
In a general sense I agree with this. My reasons are too long-winded to explain here & now but in short I regard the mind/body dichotomy as a harmful delusion.

What is in question is whether or not the spirit or soul has superiority over the flesh. Not that it is separate completely thus making the body only a carrier, but that it is somehow above in a hierarchical view.

For example, the toe and the brain are both parts of our body, but without the toe we would still be OK, relative to the brain being absent.

So with the same logic the spirit and body are both parts to our existence, but one is not as important.

Wow interesting question. I hope the following answer is a viable one. In my view they are symbiotic of each other. Without getting into a theological point of view about God then one could say that the HUMAN spirit and the flesh need each other. The spirit of man keeps us in tune with the physical aspect of life and vice-versa .
With a symbiosis one wouldn't necessarily have to put one over the other but could accept them both as halves of a whole? And there need be no requirement to say one is greater or less than the other.

Mr Cheese

My thoughts? all are but a label...

basic principle found in science and mysticism: nothing exists in isolation
therefore there is no spirit or soul, just as there is no flesh without blood as in the merchant of venice.

Yes belief in one being superior to another does dehumanize us. It is also a trap new agers fall into. It is also a trap that people who misunderstand Gnosticism think is a primary feature of Gnosticism.

GiantHouseKey

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

In that case no, I don't feel that the body is simply a carrier or a shell for the soul. I don't believe in a typical 'soul' concept. I believe that the body is at least AS important as a soul in the purpose of existance, although I believe they can both exist seperately. The importance lies in the connection of the two, rather than in the inherent importance of either.

A good phrase to represent my beliefs here is 'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts'

GhK.