• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit Animals

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Real Sorceror said:
Ya! A thread for me!
I think we'll keep it public. Multiple minds tend to produce more interesting thoughts.

I first learned this lesson when I was showering after helping build a sweat lodge. This was in a cabin sort of setting, and you've not lived until you have a shower to look forward to after hours of setting up limbs and digging. About three people took their turn, and I was grateful that I got to shower before all the hot water ran out. Being a tad (extremely) afraid of spiders, I tried not to shriek when I saw a rather large one, perched calmly on the spout. It had the meditative look that I've come to associate with thoughtful Grandmother Spider, so I tried ignoring it and showering. All was going well and I relaxed and continued washing my hair. As I looked around, though, I began to notice more and more eight-legged buddies- ones with webs on the ceiling, others traversing the tub. I was shocked that I wasn't running away, screaming, and even felt a bit of companionship. An hour or so later, after everyone had showered and eaten, I asked how many spiders everyone else had noticed in the bath. As I spoke with more and more people, I began to realize that no one else had seen any. (The spiders were, for the most part, in obvious places, and some were well-housed in webs.) I was slightly startled when I heard this, but someone in the group spoke up and made me realize that the reason that others had not seen them was because, for the others, the spiders were not there.

Zephyr

Moved on
kreeden said:
Zephyr . I hope that you don't take this as disrespectful , but religions often evolve , to some degree . I'm not say what the Asatru faith is today , or what it was a thousand years ago for that matter . But if you look at it , animals played a minor role . And likely more so the earlier one ones ? From the Sons of Loki , to Odin's Ravens . The " beastmen " warriors . From a Shamanic point of view , these are the influence of Animal Spirits . Can't say how the Norse viewed them . :)
No disrespect taken. Yeah, the animals played a role in the mythologies. I'm not arguing against that in the least. Asatru tries to stay as true to the old faith as possible, but seeing as our best source was an Icelandic Christian, we can only do so much. Nowadays most common folk mostly just see animals relevant as wights, and that is still a decent sized role.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The Osprey is my favorite bird of prey . :) And the Red-tailed Hawk rates right up there .... likely third after the Krestral . I assume that it was the Hawk that had the snakes RS ?

Can't really say that I have a spiritual connection to either . But I have spent hours watching the Osprey . Associated with both lightning and the moon { although I have never ubderstood the moon part }. Half the weight of an Eagle , but with the same wing span . It is a creature like no other ... really . Although considered a hawk by some , it is in it's own genus . Specialized to the point that the scales on it's feet overlap upward , unlike any other bird . { which of course helps it hold on to fish } . And for a bird that size to hover like they do , and dive ... but the most amuzing thing is watching them left theirselves , and their prey , out of the water with the raw power of their wings . Yea , I like the Osprey . I like their mask too .

You are correct about both birds sight RS . Also they are both associated with authority , symbolically at least . Changes are they share several symbolic meanings , as people often consider an Osprey a Hawk . The Fish Hawk as he is sometimes called .

I don't know much about turtles I'm afraid Kateyes . although I did have a Painted Turtle when I was a child . But yes , they are very important in some myths , and I would imagine quite feminine in nature . { protection , water , and all } ???

Zayl , I have read that the more primal the creature , the more primal it's lessons ???? I'm not sure that I totally agree ? But it does make sense . And it sounds as if you have already made a relationship with Akhkaru . :) Good for you .

Last summer a great cat made a connection with me . A beautiful cat that I call Raven Tiger-Eater .... yea , he eat the tail of a tiger in the next cage . The thing is , this cat has a long history as an important Totem . But to me , he represents a very primal instinct . And I have never read where he represents that same instinct anywhere else , to anyone else . But whenever he visits , he represents the same thing for me . So , no matter what others say , an animal can have a very personal message , just for you .

I visited Raven Tiger-Eater at the Vancouver Zoo just a week ago . And no lie , he picks me out in a crowd . He is a beautiful Black Jaguar . And I do tend to get funny looks when I visit him . He tends to follow me around his pen .... perhaps I smell like chicken or something ? ;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FeathersinHair said:
Hehee, your Benefactor must've been anxious to make themselves known, Kreeden!

:) He may have been Feathers ?

Getting back on topic , I would like to run a few things by you , to get your view on them , and to help explain my views .... more to explain my views I guess . ;)

You know who my main Benefactor is . I share the same Animal Helper as your teacher . So you know having him look in my backdoor was a bit of a surprise . Now , the thing is , because of his nature , or because of mine { I'm not sure which , perhaps it is both our nature ? } , I don't see him much . I don't see him very often physically . Never see him in journeys . And when he visits in dreams , he usually acts as a gaurdian and usually isn't all that griendly toeards me at first .... I find that rather strange in a way . But he did come to me twice , about a year apart , bith times looking into my house at me . { the first time I had to chase him away or I feared he was coming in through a window }.

But I know that I am he . You know what I mean . The one time I found him while on a journey , I had to search for him . And I had a hard time finding him because as it turned out , I was him .... kinda .

Now Raven is quite different . I set out to become friends with him . And of course Raven / Crow is everywhere . And Raven comes to me often . On journeys , in dreams , and we are always on friendly terms . And Raven has taught me , continues to teach me .

:) Well , Raven and I are usually on good terms . T-Burd bite me yesterday , but I was teasing her .

Anyway , that is why I think of it more along the lines of a friendship kinda relationship . Each relationship can be quite different . And much of that lays in how we see that relationship , wouldn't it ?

Now I don't follow a tradition . Don't know much about any one tradition . But it appears to work for me . :)

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
The Osprey is my favorite bird of prey . :) And the Red-tailed Hawk rates right up there .... likely third after the Krestral . I assume that it was the Hawk that had the snakes RS ?
Two of my favorite dieties have raptor heads: Ra and Horus.The Osprey is also my college mascot. Oh, and yes, the Red-tails had the snakes. I would be rather taken aback to see an Osprey with a snake.
Can't really say that I have a spiritual connection to either . But I have spent hours watching the Osprey . Associated with both lightning and the moon { although I have never ubderstood the moon part }.
The moon? How odd, especially considering that the Osprey is durnal. Hmm, I know that Horus(a falcon) is associated with the moon (the moon is his blind eye).
Half the weight of an Eagle , but with the same wing span . It is a creature like no other ... really . Although considered a hawk by some , it is in it's own genus . Specialized to the point that the scales on it's feet overlap upward , unlike any other bird . { which of course helps it hold on to fish } . And for a bird that size to hover like they do , and dive ... but the most amuzing thing is watching them left theirselves , and their prey , out of the water with the raw power of their wings . Yea , I like the Osprey . I like their mask too .
You really know your stuff! :p
You are correct about both birds sight RS . Also they are both associated with authority , symbolically at least . Changes are they share several symbolic meanings , as people often consider an Osprey a Hawk . The Fish Hawk as he is sometimes called .
Thanks for all the info! ;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) The Osprey is also the national bird of New Zealand , and the provincal bird of Nova Scotia { where I was born }. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Heh.. if it were animals you see a lot, I'd walk with pidgeon. :biglaugh:
Not a lot of wolves here in New Hampshire. ;)

I think it is most important to remember that the animals choose to talk with you and you can't simply pick a spirit animal simply because you think its cool. All animals have a lesson to teach if you listen to them.

Kreeden think I know how you feel about not seeing yours often. I've only met wolf a few times and the last time was to tell me not to worry about not seeing her much. :D
I have had a few intresting encounters with Grandfather Coyote, both in dreams and in real life.

As for turtles, in Cherokee 'myth' they were also warriors. (my life parter walks with turtle medicine and he likes to pick on me about the Cherokee story of turtle and the wolves... I have to remind him not to make me break his back for him.:wolf: )

wa:do

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Painted Wolf , like always , it is good to see you . :)

To walk with an Animal Spirit is a very good way to put it I think . We can " walk " with any who accepts us . Who agree to walk a ways with us . But there is one who always walks with us . And that One is very special . Even if we don't see him , or her , they are there . They are a part of who and what we are , so we can never really be seperated .

That is the way I see it at least . Although there has been times when I felt .... something between us . { if that makes sense } . And I agree that it is more then just our desire to be connected to something cool . That is why I had thought of doing a quest . To make sure that it wasn't just my desire . My main problem at the time was wondering what " sign " I would accept . Because it had to be something that I could put down to my imagination . Having him look in my back door at me like that ... :) Well , even my imagination couldn't have came up with something so unexpected . And he left tracks , just to prove that he really had been there .

So I have no doubt what-so-ever . He honoured me , way beyond my expectations . I feel that no seeing him is more a matter of " not seeing " ourselves in a crowd . Like that saying about knowing something like the back of our hand . How many really know the back of their hand ? It is there , always , but we tend to look past it .

So every once in awhile , I do go out looking for him , just to say hi . :) And I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can usually find him in his physical form .

Grandfather Coyote . Whenever I see him , he is usually sitting there , looking at me . Makes one wonder what he is up to ... ;)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
heh, Its good to be seen again. :jiggy:

It makes perfect sence to me.. I've had similer experiences. I think that wanting certen "signs" and trying to figure out what sort of "signs" are acceptable was a major stumbling block for me for a while. When you get talked to you know it, there isn't any hard and fast rule that we can impose that they have to follow.
I think that this is one of the things that can make "spirit animals" so hard to work with for some people. They have an idea of what is "supposed to" happin and the spirits have another.

he he... I find whatever Grandfather is up to its going to be "interesting". :D

wa:do

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) I'm more of a Raven person myself , but they are said to share a mischievious spirit .

Yes . I believe that is a problem I still have . No being sure of what to expect . Speaking of Raven , it took me three years to discover his message for me . And that was just what the the message was about . I'm still learning it . Three years before I just looked at Toes one day and asked him . :) Ok , Toes is not a Spirit , but he is my main connection to Raven .

My main Spirit Aid seems to have always been with me , and gave me a wonderful sign when I asked . Raven , I had to befriend for three years before I was ready to hear . Another came to me totally unexpected . So much so that at first I thought he was acting for another . But it turned out that the other person never had the connection I did . A year later , a fourth came into my life , that I almost missed because I was looking at another animal . One I had believed to be stronger ...

Four different Animals . Different Spirits . Each came into my life differently , with different effects , different reactions by me . No , I do believe that I'm learning that this is no a science in that a person can say that if this happens , it means this ... :) Although I have found that when Toes demands to eat with me , it usually means that he wants to watch what I'm eating so that he can try a taste of anything that looks good ... ;)