• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit Animals

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I know that, in different traditions, spirit animals or guardian animals tend to reveal their presence in one's life through different methods. What does your tradition believe or put forth about how they do this?

In mine, a creature does so by appearing in your life three or more times in a relatively short span of time. This can be in 'real life', dreaming or (if one is in the habit) sometimes when wandering on the spirit plane. Something I'm still learning about is whether this happens because the creature is actually appearing more or if one is simply taking more notice of it, because they're ready to accept the animal's wisdom at this point in their life. What are your thoughts?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Good questions Feathers . :)

I would like to address the question about if the animal actuaaly appears more often , or if we " just notice " it more often . Does it matter ? :)

I mean , we met people every day . More then not , we just walk by them . Each of these people could have something for us . Chances are , each does . Friendship , advice , whatever . But we still just walk on by most .

But every once in awhile , we meet a person and stop ... That person may become a life-long friend , or not ? But why do we react differently to that one person then the one before ?

That is how I see the enteract with Spirits too . Sometimes they seek us out . Sometimes we seek them . But it doesn't really matter which . What matters is that we both realize it . :) And we allow the friendship to happen . Or whatever developes to happen .

I have met people the once . And at times , they have had a very strong influence on my life from that one meeting . Others I have known for years before they had much influence .... I see no reason that the Spiritual has to be any different . I believe that it just comes down to acceptance .

But of course , I may be mistaken ... ;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
It is just my view Feathers . Everyone has the freedom to find their own Path .

BTW , are we the only two left that talk to animal Spirits ???? :)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I keep having ravens and hares turn up wherever I go...I came across a hare in the cemetary a couple of weeks ago, and it's in the middle of a suburb. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm so busy with 'stuff' at the moment I've only got the time to give it half an ear.:(

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Quoth_The _Raven said:
I keep having ravens and hares turn up wherever I go...I came across a hare in the cemetary a couple of weeks ago, and it's in the middle of a suburb. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm so busy with 'stuff' at the moment I've only got the time to give it half an ear.:(

Now these are only my views QoR . :) But if we don't give our friends a little time , how do we keep in contact ? Human friends I mean . Even if it is just saying hello to acknowledge them . By doing so , we also acknowledge ourselves ... if that makes sense ?

Raven Light-Bringer is a powerful guide . As is Hare . { Raven Light-Bringer refers to a local legend where Raven goes into the Shadow to bring back the Sun and Moon }. Both Raven and Hare can lead us to other lessons , if that is their prepose . My advice is just to watch them for now . And to follow your heart . If they have a message for you , you will recieve it . Even if it is on a subconscious level .

As I said , those are just my views . :) I do love Raven though . And still learn from her .

BTW Hare tends to deal with intuition in her teachings . Raven also often deals with looking within one's self . That is why I imply that they may be leading you towards finding something out about yourself ... ??? Perhaps ? :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Strange . My reply is here , but it isn't showing up outside the thread ... :) Oh well ...

But this one does .... Cool . It is going to be one of THOSE days ... ;)

Embrace the Chaos ..... :)

Zephyr

Moved on
While I don't believe in any specific guardian animals, I still give food and water to the land-wights, however they might appear. If I see a raven nearby, I'll toss it some bread crumbs. You never know when the allfather is watching :D

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Thought and Memory . :) The Norse had many animal Spirits too Zephyr , only a different way of interacting with them . Some say that the Spirit of the Berserker came from Bear . Finland even had Bear Cults , which likely once was found in other parts of northern Europe . And of course there were others ....

Zephyr

Moved on
kreeden said:
Thought and Memory . :) The Norse had many animal Spirits too Zephyr , only a different way of interacting with them . Some say that the Spirit of the Berserker came from Bear . Finland even had Bear Cults , which likely once was found in other parts of northern Europe . And of course there were others ....
The bear is certainly an animal to respect. It's strength inspired a ton of warriors and others back in ancient Europe.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Very interesting thread.
I'd told FIH earlier that I've been seeing a lot of hawks and wondering at their meaning.
It hadn't even occured to me until now that they might be a spirit or guide.
Is there any way to test for this or is it just a feeling?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
I know that, in different traditions, spirit animals or guardian animals tend to reveal their presence in one's life through different methods. What does your tradition believe or put forth about how they do this?

In mine, a creature does so by appearing in your life three or more times in a relatively short span of time. This can be in 'real life', dreaming or (if one is in the habit) sometimes when wandering on the spirit plane. Something I'm still learning about is whether this happens because the creature is actually appearing more or if one is simply taking more notice of it, because they're ready to accept the animal's wisdom at this point in their life. What are your thoughts?

With me, it's always little red breasted robins..I don't know why.

I can look at them, and even get quite close to them, and somehow I Know that they are more than just little robins.

The strange thing is, that I always notice them in the back garden, and we rarely get birds there, because of Jessie (The dog); she usually chases them off.

Then there's a lovely King Charles Spaniel - it's a she - on whom I have done Reiki on a few occasions (she has arthritis in her hind legs).........I swear she 'thanks me' everytime she sees me, I can almost 'read' love in her eyes.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Zephyr . I hope that you don't take this as disrespectful , but religions often evolve , to some degree . I'm not say what the Asatru faith is today , or what it was a thousand years ago for that matter . But if you look at it , animals played a minor role . And likely more so the earlier one ones ? From the Sons of Loki , to Odin's Ravens . The " beastmen " warriors . From a Shamanic point of view , these are the influence of Animal Spirits . Can't say how the Norse viewed them . :)

Is there any way to test for this or is it just a feeling?
Hmmm ? Good question RS . But I believe that was the whole point of Feathers making this thread ? Untill I kinda highjacked it . { sorry Feathers , but I love talking about Animal Helpers } .

As Feathers said in the first post , a common way is to look for the animal to show up several times over a short period . Three or more times seem to be the accepted number . Of course , if it is a common animal , one may ask for more ? The Animal appearing in unusual places , doing unusual things and the like . And there are Quest .

I was about to do a Quest once , to find my main Benefactor . Although I already had a good feeling of who he was , I wanted to make sure . As I was preparing for the Quest , he actually looked in my back door at me . :) Well , that was good enough for me .

Feathers may be able to add to that ?

Michel , I can't begin to describe the images that your Robin brings to me . :) She so seems to fit you . And the symbolism in how you tell of her . Robin , one of the first song birds of the spring . Bringer of joy . And in your back garden . You have read the Tarot . I'm sure that all of that beautiful symbolism isn't lost in you .

BTW , I'm sure that the Spanial does thank you . Animals are not the brainless fur-bags that many believe them to be .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, your Benefactor must've been anxious to make themselves known, Kreeden! (And I hope you know that I never mind you or anyone else offering input into a subject- especially when it's one that you know so much on and share my enthusiasm for discussing !)

This may sound a bit strange, but to elaborate on what Kreeden mentioned, RS, I think that when a critter has made themselves known enough to you that you mention their presence and someone creates a thread to use it as a discussion topic that it's a pretty good indication that they're wanting to give you a heads-up. :)

Not sure if this helps, Michel, but I see Robin as a wonderful thing to be appearing to you. Kreeden mentions a number of good points, and I'll add that I see Robin as being the helpful friend of the animal kingdom, too. :)

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Hmmm, well its definitly appeared more often than three times (over a dozen), though the frequency of appearance has slowed down. The Red-Tailed Hawk and Osprey are very common birds in my area. Usually the bird will be incredibly obvious(but not to other people), or by chance I will look in some direction and there it is.
Also, several of the birds where carrying dead snakes(including the very first one I spotted). I'm not sure what that might mean...

kateyes

I don't know that I would call it my Spirit Animal--but I have always had an affinity and respect for turtles--they seem slow and plodding--but they are tough and they persevere. There are a variety of Native American/First People legends about turtles (including one that has earth being held up on the back of a turtle).

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think that feeling warmth in your heart and an affinity for a creature is a wonderful thing, Kateyes! It doesn't even have to have a name put to it to be meaningful to you! :) You might even enjoy (you may have already) the "Discworld" series in which the world is carried through the universe on the back of a turtle. (Well, technically, it's balanced on four elephants who're standing on the back of a turtle, but still... :) )

RS, this thread was created for you. (Wasn't sure if you saw it before.) Something that it took me a long time to learn is that there's a reason why you see some animals when other people don't. :) (Let me know if I should PM you the reason, though I imagine on one or more levels, you already know.)

Also, what do snakes mean to you?

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
FeathersinHair said:
RS, this thread was created for you. (Wasn't sure if you saw it before.) Something that it took me a long time to learn is that there's a reason why you see some animals when other people don't. :) (Let me know if I should PM you the reason, though I imagine on one or more levels, you already know.)
Ya! A thread for me!
I think we'll keep it public. Multiple minds tend to produce more interesting thoughts.
Also, what do snakes mean to you?
Ooh. Hmm. Hadn't really thought about 'em.
Well I tend to veiw all animals as nuetral, so the popular idea of "snakes are evil" doesn't fly with me. Snakes can certianly be dangerous, especially to the unwarey and unattentive. They are very good at hiding, even in plain sight. A hidden danger perhaps? A hawk definetly represents sight and awareness...
The snake definitly represents power to me (especially with its close association with the dragon). I've also heard that snakes represent wisdom and knowledge, though I don't quite make that connection.

BFD_Zayl

well mine would have to be a tarantula, i have one now, and for something without a brain it is the most intelligent animal (arachnid) i have ever met. it tries to keep its stinging hairs away from me when its out of its tank (by flattening them as much as possible, and not flinging them) and knows my hand when i reach into the tank, if i leave it there long enough it comes and taps my hand, seeing if its ok, lol. as for its message i would have to say to resort to your primal instincts in times of dire need and to remain rock solid, before this i was irrational all of the time, after i met Akhkaru i found out that when i do have a very strong feeling, to follow it, everything else is background noise. that and for something that small it is very strong, i put a 5lbs dumbell on top of its tank and it still lifted it like it wasent there.