• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special Pleading and the Problem of Evil

74x12

You believe your side of God can prove itself? Kinda odd that it doesn't. How hard is it for a God to show itself?
If God is hidden to you; it's because your mind has been blinded.
Well your pryer failed. Now what? You have nothing to concince me, so how were you ever convinced? Did you just adopt what others around you said they believed?
Well that would be impossible because I didn't pray.
You don't seem to be taking this advice. Atheists do question. We listen to believers. But like in your example you provide no evidence or argument. Your best effort was prayer. It's as if you know you have no reason to believe, but have committed so long you're just stuck in the pattern of devotion. At least atheists aren't involved in the mental and emotional trap.
You fall into the 2nd category. You're so sure of yourself.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I've heard apologetics like you describe in the OP as well and I think you did a good job of unpacking just how absurd they are. A couple of other problems with these arguments have occurred to me:

1. I haven't met anyone who's ever been consistent about what's good and bad. People who argue that, say, killing kids with cancer is ultimately good in some way that isn't apparent (to use one example brought up in this thread) will generally also happily support treating kids' cancer and may even support cancer research.

Now... I'd much rather that people be kind and inconsistent than consistently cruel, but this behaviour is still inconsistent.

2. I don't think that any arguments about the harm of something being outweighed by some net benefit in the end are valid for an omnipotent god.

If we assume an omnipotent god - which the PoE does - then the god can achieve whatever positive outcome it wants without inflicting short term harm. Can God "test" us without giving a kid cancer? If God can do anything, then the answer is "yes" (since "testing someone without giving a kid cancer" is included in "anything").

This means that God's immediately harmful actions can't be excused by long-term good that might result from the harmful action. An omnipotent god could achieve the long-term good without the harm, so the long-term good can't be used to justify the harm.

There are some responses to the PoE that do assert an omnipotent being couldn't provide both free will and prevent suffering (that is in fact what the Toy World argument is meant to address). Plantinga for instance calls them a "Free Will Defense" rather than a free will theodicy. He also forms an argument called Transworld Depravity, wherein he asserts that an omnipotent being couldn't prevent suffering caused by other people because it's possible that in all worlds, people would choose to cause suffering freely.

However, I find it odd that he argues this (aside from its other problems) because it's an inconsistent use of modal axiom S5, which in its shortest form is a logical rule that <>[] --> [] (that is, "possibly necessary --> necessary").

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
When you know someone and trust them you don't need their every action explained. They might appear to be doing something wrong from your perspective but you really know this person and you really know you can trust them.

That is not special pleading. I mean if you went around accusing everyone of special pleading just for trusting someone that they know is trustworthy; then you would be causing problems. You would be breaking up marriages and separating friends.

So my point is I think people who give this explanation for God's action or apparent lack of action are coming at this from a different perspective than you are. From your perspective it looks like special pleading because you don't have faith in God. But for someone who already does have faith it makes sense. They already trust God so they talk this way.

As Penguin already pointed out, this isn't a one to one analogy.

We trust our friends, but if our friends inject our children with a deadly disease and merely assert they have a good reason for it that they can't tell us, we would be reasonable to revise our beliefs about trusting that friend.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Alright that's an extreme example so I can come up with an extreme reason. Let's put ourselves in a zombie apocalypse. You see someone brutally murder your kid but come to find out later that your kid was already a zombie and they were just putting them down. I think they did you a favor by putting your kid to rest.

I'm not saying that kids with leukemia are zombies by the way. I'm just giving a hypothetical reason why your friend might kill your kid. Who knows what reason God has for some of the things God might do.

When does this reasoning stop? What could God possibly ever do that would convince someone using this special pleading that God is not benevolent?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Erin: Why does child leukemia exist? Why doesn't your omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent being prevent it?
1) God does not have the attribute of "omnibenevolent", so this whole reasoning makes no sense and is not correct

The Problem of Evil is a premise-based argument. If the premises don't apply to a particular brand of theism, then the PoE doesn't apply.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Here's what special pleading actually is:

spe·cial plead·ing
/ˈspeSHəl ˈplēdiNG/

noun
  1. argument in which the speaker deliberately ignores aspects that are unfavorable to their point of view.

Note that it says the speaker deliberately ignores aspects . . .

In your scenario the speaker isn't ignoring anything, they're just acknowledging that they may not have all the information needed to make a judgment.
Not the same thing.

Special pleading is a fallacy of inconsistency: where under one set of circumstances, one conclusion might be drawn; while under another, a different conclusion might be drawn.

It is always the case that a person might have knowledge that you don't. If a friend of yours murdered your family and claimed to have a special reason, it is very likely that you'd still find it reasonable to press charges against them unless they are able to successfully defend their actions in some way.

The special pleading is that God could literally do anything and the theodicist would never find it anything other than benevolent: that is special pleading.

Which would mean that every physical therapist, personal trainer, every doctor who's ever had to set a broken bone, every first responder who's ever had to pull an injured person out of a dangerous situation, every mother who's ever had to apply an antiseptic to a scraped knee, is malevolent or criminally negligent.

No, because in each of these instances, an argument can be supplied for why they have caused the suffering.

I believe the general consensus in reference to the concept is all-powerful and all-knowing.

It's an important distinction.

Yes, which is already acknowledged in the premises of the PoE. I could be more explicit next time, but this is already what I was saying. Omnipotence and omniscience are still varieties of the general properties of power and knowledge. Clarity is important though, so you're right.

Absolutely, for you see even though his actions seem random to us, he was in reality selectively eliminating carriers of a hybrid strain of super-herpes and covid-19000000000000and1/2 that would have wiped out half the population of the planet and greatly inconvenienced the other half.

Do you want people to get super herpes and covid-hyper-etc. MeowMix? Do you???

Well maybe just Mitch McConnell... I joke.

Don't you think we all owe ET an apology?

ET could explain such a thing to justify the action, for one. Secondly, the point is that it would be reasonable to hold ET accountable.

I could go stab someone in the foot right now and claim that an incomprehensible chthonian being gave me a good reason to do so that nobody could understand; but it would be reasonable to hold me accountable and special pleading not to in the absence of any good reasons not to.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Seems to me that if one really believes in eternal life in heaven, then suffering in a short little Earthly life starts to look like your protagonist avatar getting killed in a video game. Really no big deal. Die here, wake up in eternity again.

Suffering in a life like this one might actually serve an important purpose. If we lived in conditions of perfection all the time, how could we ever know courage or compassion? Many of the virtues that we consider very important only make sense in conditions of imperfection. Kindness, persistence or mercy only make sense in the presence of their opposites. If we were omniscient, how could we ever learn or discover?

Does the ostensible relative brevity of suffering really excuse it though?

If I punch a kid in the face, but then give them a college education, I can't claim to be omnibenevolent, even if the latter part was really nice.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Special pleading is a fallacy of inconsistency: where under one set of circumstances, one conclusion might be drawn; while under another, a different conclusion might be drawn.
It's also a thing involving words and ideas. It's also something that, when written out, requires punctuation here and there.

What fallacy is it when somebody writes something that's so vague that it doesn't really mean anything?

It is always the case that a person might have knowledge that you don't.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what you're talking about.

If a friend of yours murdered your family and claimed to have a special reason, it is very likely that you'd still find it reasonable to press charges against them unless they are able to successfully defend their actions in some way.

And if somebody started throwing around metaphors that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand I would think they were trying to get around having to address my points.

The special pleading is that God could literally do anything and the theodicist would never find it anything other than benevolent: that is special pleading.

Nope. Depending upon which direction you're going to approach it from, you could call that faith, fanaticism, or gullibility, but I don't see how you can call it special pleading.

Here's what Webster says about special pleading:

"Definition of special pleading
1: the allegation of special or new matter to offset the effect of matter pleaded by the opposite side and admitted, as distinguished from a direct denial of the matter pleaded
2: misleading argument that presents one point or phase as if it covered the entire question at issue".

Not seeing how your scenario fits into either one of those definitions.

No, because in each of these instances, an argument can be supplied for why they have caused the suffering.

And why would you assume that just because ET could explain his actions that he would bother to?

Yes, which is already acknowledged in the premises of the PoE.

Yet not in your OP.

I could be more explicit next time,

I still think the omission was intentional and served the purpose I suggested.

but this is already what I was saying. Omnipotence and omniscience are still varieties of the general properties of power and knowledge. Clarity is important though, so you're right.

ET could explain such a thing to justify the action, for one. Secondly, the point is that it would be reasonable to hold ET accountable.

Even if it seemed reasonable it would probably be futile, which would sort of render it unreasonable wouldn't it?

I could go stab someone in the foot right now and claim that an incomprehensible chthonian being gave me a good reason to do so that nobody could understand; but it would be reasonable to hold me accountable and special pleading not to in the absence of any good reasons

Yes you could but that would make you a nut. Just as if someone stabbed someone in the foot and claimed that God told them to, they would also be considered a nut.

Thing is we're not talking about somebody doing something because God told them to, we're talking about God.

Without making any claims about God one way or the other you still have to acknowledge that those are two completely different conversations.

74x12

As Penguin already pointed out, this isn't a one to one analogy.

We trust our friends, but if our friends inject our children with a deadly disease and merely assert they have a good reason for it that they can't tell us, we would be reasonable to revise our beliefs about trusting that friend.
What you're using is equivocation. For God to allow your child to die from a deadly disease is not the same as if your friend injected your child with a deadly disease.

Because for your friend to be judged equally with God; your friend would need to know everything and could even bring your child back to life if they wanted. Then you might ... just maybe ... trust them a bit more.

However, my points stands that there could be a reason even if your friend (a mere mortal) did this. Maybe you can't imagine it but it could exist. The zombie apocalypse is just a metaphor to show how perceptions can be mistaken.
When does this reasoning stop? What could God possibly ever do that would convince someone using this special pleading that God is not benevolent?
Well that's a loaded question.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What I was getting at was insight into reality more subtle than the physical plane we are familiar with. For example, we have etheric, astral, mental, bodies interpenetrating our physical bodies.
We do? Provide the indisputable evidence for these. You sound as if you're referring to them as facts. That's a high degree of certainty, so lay it on us.

These subtle bodies have senses that the more gifted (clairvoyants) can bring to conscious attention to tell us about more than the physical plane of reality.
Well I'm sure they do. Show us the studies that demonstrate these exist and function as you describe.

BTW, did you know I was going to ask you to prove your claims? No doubt you did, so you must have all the overwhelming evidence and facts I'm requesting. I can't wait.

Almost by definition these things cannot be confirmed by the physical senses and instruments available to mainstream science at this time. These things are best evidenced by consistent reporting of the experiencers and paranormal phenomena that suggests a reality beyond the physical senses and instruments. Vedic (Hindu) and Theosophical and other wisdom traditions have mapped these things in considerable detail.
Oh darn, so you mean you are guessing. Well that's a disappointment. Did you foresee I would be disappointed, but you posted anyway because you are mean?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Evil is really nothing, it is like darkness or emptiness, nothing really. It is same as lack of good.
Yet God does little or nothing to change bad circumstances to innocent people. Is it good if one of your kids was diagnosed with Leukemia? You didn't cause it, it was just the random lottery of life as created by God. So are all the children who lose the lottery of life in God's creation showing us the good about god and what it creates?

The only good is doctors trying to save these lives But doctors aren't God. God creates the lack of good in a cild dying from a genetic disease while the good is doctors fighting the lack of good, which is God's creation, and God itself.

God gave people chance to reject Him and all good. And when good is rejected, there is evil remaining, because evilness is the void that is left when good is not present.
When God gives people reason to reject it since it lacks goodness itself, what choice has God given? It's a duty for humans to reject the agent who lacks goodness, and that is God, despite it's occasional act of goodness.

Please show the scripture?
KJ21
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

Firstly, murder is unlawful killing. God is not murderer, because He has right to kill.
Hahaha. Well to hell with God trying to set a good example for humans. It can kill the whole planet except 7 and get away with it because it's God. No wonder so many Christians have murdered so many over the millennia, they thought they were doing God's work. See how easy it is to be immoral when your God is immoral?

Thank humans for secular government and law so Christians don't get away with divine murder.

And He has that right, because He has given life, which is why He can also decide how long life He gives. (Humans don’t give life). And, when good kills evil people who would make life eternal suffering for all, if they could live forever, I don’t think it is evil from God. And I think it would be unloving to not give this life also for those who choose evil. Therefore, God is not evil, God is extremely good. Also, God is not incompetent, He is extremely good, because He gives the chance to reject Him.
So God can be bad and it cannot be held accountable, so it's good? That don't work.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
We do? Provide the indisputable evidence for these. You sound as if you're referring to them as facts. That's a high degree of certainty, so lay it on us.

Well I'm sure they do. Show us the studies that demonstrate these exist and function as you describe.

BTW, did you know I was going to ask you to prove your claims? No doubt you did, so you must have all the overwhelming evidence and facts I'm requesting. I can't wait.

Oh darn, so you mean you are guessing. Well that's a disappointment. Did you foresee I would be disappointed, but you posted anyway because you are mean?
Huh?.....As soon as I claim to have indisputable evidence I will then own the burden of proof. Until then I present the theory that I find most reasonable all things considered.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It's also a thing involving words and ideas. It's also something that, when written out, requires punctuation here and there.

What fallacy is it when somebody writes something that's so vague that it doesn't really mean anything?

I think it is quite clear. Merriam-Webster isn't usually that great with philosophical terminology, though. I would instead use something like this:

Applying standards, principles, and/or rules to other people or circumstances, while making oneself or certain circumstances exempt from the same critical criteria, without providing adequate justification. Special pleading is often a result of strong emotional beliefs that interfere with reason. (Special Pleading)

Or like this:

Special pleading is a form of inconsistency in which the reasoner doesn’t apply his or her principles consistently. It is the fallacy of applying a general principle to various situations but not applying it to a special situation that interests the arguer even though the general principle properly applies to that special situation, too. (Fallacies | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

For example, if anyone murdered my friend and claimed they had knowledge they could not share that justifies it, I would still be reasonable in not interpreting their action as benevolent. As with the first definition that says "adequate justification," this part is somewhat subjective (the attempted justification is "the reason is beyond your understanding, so I won't even try to give it").

Evidence that this justification is weak is that if it is allowed, it could literally justify any action: literally no action would be enough to doubt it. That isn't a good justifier, and that makes it special pleading.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what you're talking about.

For clarity, I had something to the effect of, "it is always possible someone has knowledge that you don't."

Au contraire, this is exactly pertinent to what's being talked about. Someone claiming special knowledge is the same abstracted circumstance.

And if somebody started throwing around metaphors that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand I would think they were trying to get around having to address my points.

The analogy is pertinent. That you don't accept that doesn't make my argument evasive.

Nope. Depending upon which direction you're going to approach it from, you could call that faith, fanaticism, or gullibility, but I don't see how you can call it special pleading.

Here's what Webster says about special pleading:

"Definition of special pleading
1: the allegation of special or new matter to offset the effect of matter pleaded by the opposite side and admitted, as distinguished from a direct denial of the matter pleaded
2: misleading argument that presents one point or phase as if it covered the entire question at issue".

Not seeing how your scenario fits into either one of those definitions.

Just including this portion for completeness, this was addressed above.

And why would you assume that just because ET could explain his actions that he would bother to?

Perhaps ET wouldn't; but this is about what's reasonable for humans to do.

I still think the omission was intentional and served the purpose I suggested.

If you assume the worst of your ideological opponents that's on you, friendo.

Even if it seemed reasonable it would probably be futile, which would sort of render it unreasonable wouldn't it?

For clarity, this is in response to me saying it would be reasonable for people to doubt ET has justification for "benevolent murder" without any evidence.

It would not be futile if we're interested in responsible epistemology and ontology. Even if we couldn't do anything about it, we should still be interested in forming reasonable beliefs and (this is key) avoiding unreasonable ones, such as epistemically uncertain beliefs that literally can't be defeated by any evidence.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What you're using is equivocation. For God to allow your child to die from a deadly disease is not the same as if your friend injected your child with a deadly disease.

Because for your friend to be judged equally with God; your friend would need to know everything and could even bring your child back to life if they wanted. Then you might ... just maybe ... trust them a bit more.

The problem with this is that having omniscience isn't evidence of omnibenevolence: these are separate traits, evidenced separately.

Dystheism could be true for instance, where a god is in fact omniscient but is also simply malevolent.

Demonstrating omniscience doesn't demonstrate omnibenevolence in other words. So unless my friend, or God, or Cthulhu, or whatever being can explain to me (even if it's dumbed down) why they did the horrible thing that they did, it would not be reasonable for me to treat it as a benevolent action due to all the evidence to the contrary.

Well that's a loaded question.

It's meant to show that if this reasoning is used, literally nothing can break the reasoning. God could damn everyone on Earth to eternal, horrific pain just because it makes God laugh, and to everyone that uses this reasoning, "as far as they know," against all the evidence to the contrary, this is still "benevolent."

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
The end result is a dead child. The difference you put forward is that God can create a child with a fatal disease and be completely unaccountable for that intentional act because it has a moral exemption. The human has to follow the rules.

The major flaw here is that if God kills children for some reason that only it knows, why bother letting it get born at all? There's a huge amount of emotional damage it creates because the God is either cruel and evil, or a screw up. And what of all the evil people that life a life without health problems? It's almost as if this whole scenario is nonsense and none of the popular interventionist Gods exist.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Huh?.....As soon as I claim to have indisputable evidence I will then own the burden of proof.
No, you have the burden of proof the moment you make a claim. When you write this:

"For example, we have etheric, astral, mental, bodies interpenetrating our physical bodies. These subtle bodies have senses that the more gifted (clairvoyants) can bring to conscious attention to tell us about more than the physical plane of reality."

you're stating it as if it's factual. You didn't even limit this as being your belief. You made a factual assertion. That means you get to back all of this up with facts and evidence. Or admit you have no idea if any of this is actually true. Or you can concede it's not fact, but you believe all this is true, and you can explain why you believe that.

Until then I present the theory that I find most reasonable all things considered.
I take it you mean the definition of theory that means speculation.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is quite clear. Merriam-Webster isn't usually that great with philosophical terminology, though. I would instead use something like this:

"Applying standards, principles, and/or rules to other people or circumstances, while making oneself or certain circumstances exempt from the same critical criteria, without providing adequate justification. Special pleading is often a result of strong emotional beliefs that interfere with reason. (Special Pleading)"

And who gets to decide what is and isn't "adequate justification"?

To a believer, "God moves in mysterious ways", might serve as adequate justification.

IMO, the idea that the same standards that we use to judge people might not be adaquite for judging an omnipotent being seems like adequate justification for dismissing those standards.

And this:

"Special pleading is a form of inconsistency in which the reasoner doesn’t apply his or her principles consistently. It is the fallacy of applying a general principle to various situations but not applying it to a special situation that interests the arguer even though the general principle properly applies to that special situation, too".

Whether or not the "general principal properly applies to the situation" is also up for grabs. It isn't something that you have a right as a participant in a discussion like this to decide for everyone else, and it makes your reasoning sound circular.

For example, if anyone murdered my friend and claimed they had knowledge they could not share that justifies it,

Except that's not what's being discussed. The position your OP is dealing with is one where someone is saying, "we don't have the information necessary to make this judgment", not "I have information but I can't share it with you".

Remember in your OP you're not arguing with God, you're arguing against someone whos suggesting that there may be some greater purpose that we don't understand that potentially negates the PoE.

I would still be reasonable in not interpreting their action as benevolent.

See above.

As with the first definition that says "adequate justification," this part is somewhat subjective (the attempted justification is "the reason is beyond your understanding, so I won't even try to give it").

Nope. That's not what your hypothetical answer to the PoE is suggesting at all. Its not saying "I have information but I'm not going to give it to you" it's saying "Neither one of us has the information we need to make this judgment". Its a completely different scenario.

Evidence that this justification is weak is that if it is allowed, it could literally justify any action: literally no action would be enough to doubt it. That isn't a good justifier, and that makes it special pleading.

Yes, for someone who believes in God in this way, any action is justifiable, although "justifiable" isn't really the right word, since to someone with that kind of belief nothing would need to be justified. Still doesn't make this special pleading.

For clarity, I had something to the effect of, "it is always possible someone has knowledge that you don't."

Au contraire, this is exactly pertinent to what's being talked about. Someone claiming special knowledge is the same abstracted circumstance.

We're not discussing someone who's claiming special knowledge.

The analogy is pertinent. That you don't accept that doesn't make my argument evasive.

OK then, how about explaining how your analogy is pertinent, instead of just saying that it is.

Just including this portion for completeness, this was addressed above.

Perhaps ET wouldn't; but this is about what's reasonable for humans to do.

No, actually. That part was attempted to explain et's lack of explanation.

If you assume the worst of your ideological opponents that's on you, friendo.

Unless it's true.

For clarity, this is in response to me saying it would be reasonable for people to doubt ET has justification for "benevolent murder" without any evidence.

It would not be futile if we're interested in responsible epistemology and ontology. Even if we couldn't do anything about it, we should still be interested in forming reasonable beliefs and (this is key) avoiding unreasonable ones, such as epistemically uncertain beliefs that literally can't be defeated by any evidence.

Reason has nothing with either side of this argument.

But it's fun to watch people trying to convince themselves that it does. :D

F1fan

Veteran Member
If God is hidden to you; it's because your mind has been blinded.
What blinds human minds from the reality of God?

And are you claiming to know a God exists and not one of the blind brethren?

And if this God of yours truly exists, and is hidden because of my mind's blindness, can your God not penetrate this blindness and makes itself known?

Well that would be impossible because I didn't pray.
So it's your fault that I don't know God. Well don't worry about any divine punishment coming your way. God kills children but it won't hurt you. Probably.

You fall into the 2nd category. You're so sure of yourself.
Confidence is easier when you don't have an identity based on a dubious religious claim.

I suspect many theists have a deep insecurity about their identity and faith, but they are committed, and tied to religious communities, so they live in that trap, and can't find a path to freedom.

74x12

The problem with this is that having omniscience isn't evidence of omnibenevolence: these are separate traits, evidenced separately.
Okay, but my point is that they might know something you don't.
Dystheism could be true for instance, where a god is in fact omniscient but is also simply malevolent.
Okay, I guess from your perspective that could be a possibility.
Demonstrating omniscience doesn't demonstrate omnibenevolence in other words. So unless my friend, or God, or Cthulhu, or whatever being can explain to me (even if it's dumbed down) why they did the horrible thing that they did, it would not be reasonable for me to treat it as a benevolent action due to all the evidence to the contrary.
Now I think we're getting somewhere. You say "due to all the evidence to the contrary" and that's my point. From the perspective of people who talk this way ... there is evidence already of the goodness of God in their lives. They believe God has done good things for them already. So it's much easier for them to trust God in a hard situation.
It's meant to show that if this reasoning is used, literally nothing can break the reasoning. God could damn everyone on Earth to eternal, horrific pain just because it makes God laugh, and to everyone that uses this reasoning, "as far as they know," against all the evidence to the contrary, this is still "benevolent."
Only if you ignore all the evidence of the goodness and blessings God gives. Because even the sun can appear angry and hateful when it's covered by the smoke from a fire for example. But it's still the same sun that other people enjoy.

So it's all about perspectives and how they can be mistaken. Is the glass half full or half empty? Is the sun evil because someone dies in the desert? Or is the sun good because it makes plants grow and gives you vitamin D? It's up to you to decide how you see things.

That's what the book of Job is about. How a good person can have bad things happen to them that don't make sense and still retain their faith in God. And in the end that faith is rewarded. And that's our power with God and we do have power if we use it.

And if this was our only life then it wouldn't make sense for God to take your child with a horrible disease but if there is more to come then it might make sense after all. In my belief God is not finished with this creation. He's making everything new. Then the only things that will be left from this old creation will be your accomplishments. The good things you managed to do. So it's not in vain. It's all building a better world and the fact God lets us partake and build something that is eternal is good but it's not going to be easy.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
No, you have the burden of proof the moment you make a claim. When you write this:

"For example, we have etheric, astral, mental, bodies interpenetrating our physical bodies. These subtle bodies have senses that the more gifted (clairvoyants) can bring to conscious attention to tell us about more than the physical plane of reality."

you're stating it as if it's factual. You didn't even limit this as being your belief. You made a factual assertion. That means you get to back all of this up with facts and evidence. Or admit you have no idea if any of this is actually true. Or you can concede it's not fact, but you believe all this is true, and you can explain why you believe that.

I take it you mean the definition of theory that means speculation.
Oh please, you are just wasting time in word play. I could stick the words 'I believe based on my best assessment of all things that....' in front of every statement I make but that's just makes reading posts tedious and nitpicky. People understand I am presenting a theory.

Everyone knows there is no indisputable proof on any controversial topic or there would be nothing to discuss or form an opinion on.