• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Korea Passes Bill to Ban Consumption of Dog Meat

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Some of that unfair, racist, Asian stereotype:

"An estimated 30 million dogs are killed for human consumption each year across Asia in a brutal trade that involves terrible cruelty to animals and often, criminal activity. From 10-20 million dogs are slaughtered in China, up to 1 million in South Korea, 1 million in Indonesia, and around 5 million in Viet Nam; 80,000 or so of this last group are imported from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

The dog meat trade is most widespread in China, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Indonesia and Nagaland in northern India.

Severe animal suffering is endemic to the dog meat trade.

The method by which they are killed varies: in South Korea, the most common method for slaughtering a dog is by electrocution, but hanging and beating are also used. In China and Viet Nam, dogs are usually beaten to death with a metal pipe and then bled out from a cut to the throat or groin, but they can also be hanged, or—less commonly—thrown conscious into large drums of boiling water."

- Asia’s Dog Meat Trade: FAQs

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of that unfair, racist, Asian stereotype:

"An estimated 30 million dogs are killed for human consumption each year across Asia in a brutal trade that involves terrible cruelty to animals and often, criminal activity. From 10-20 million dogs are slaughtered in China, up to 1 million in South Korea, 1 million in Indonesia, and around 5 million in Viet Nam; 80,000 or so of this last group are imported from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

The dog meat trade is most widespread in China, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Indonesia and Nagaland in northern India.

Severe animal suffering is endemic to the dog meat trade.

The method by which they are killed varies: in South Korea, the most common method for slaughtering a dog is by electrocution, but hanging and beating are also used. In China and Viet Nam, dogs are usually beaten to death with a metal pipe and then bled out from a cut to the throat or groin, but they can also be hanged, or—less commonly—thrown conscious into large drums of boiling water."

- Asia’s Dog Meat Trade: FAQs

The stereotype is that most or all Asians condone such practices, which is an unsubstantiated, sweeping generalization. There are still abusive practices that need to be addressed, as you highlighted above, and hopefully the bill that South Korea has just passed helps to do so in at least one country and inspires similar laws in more countries.

I think the meat industry in general needs significant reform, both in Asia and elsewhere.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why?
Is it wrong to eat one animal, but OK to eat
others, eg, cows, pigs, rabbits?
All I see is that cultures change, sometimes
for the better, sometimes for the worse, &
in this case, just for the neutral.

Sorry about the last one,
@Dan From Smithville.
We don't need meat and it is unethical for a living being to needlessly die to fulfill our own wants.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it partially has to do with dog's being loyal, and of course treating them cruelly is a betrayal of that. I doubt that chickens, cows, etc. have the same level of depth or awareness when it comes to bonding, expressing empathy, experiencing emotion, etc.
We can agree that cruelty is wrong for any animal.
It also appears that we agree about eating dogs
being wrong for emotional & cultural reasons.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The sterotype that I understand is simply that dog meat is primarily eaten in Asia, which is true.

I've seen overgeneralizations about Asians and assumptions that the average Asian eats dog meat, but if one limits the statement to the above, then yes, that's a fact.

Personally, I think humane treatment of all animals is the central issue, because even if a country never eats dog meat, it could abuse other industrially farmed animals, which already happens on a large scale around the world. I support bans on eating dogs, but I also support increased strictness in animal welfare laws and the enforcement thereof.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it partially has to do with dog's being loyal, and of course treating them cruelly is a betrayal of that. I doubt that chickens, cows, etc. have the same level of depth or awareness when it comes to bonding, expressing empathy, experiencing emotion, etc.
Cows definitely have some thoughts going on in their head, like having company and recognize faces. Haven't had much exposure to other farm animals, but I used to live around a bunch of cows in Indiana.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've seen overgeneralizations about Asians and assumptions that the average Asian eats dog meat, but if one limits the statement to the above, then yes, that's a fact.

Personally, I think humane treatment of all animals is the central issue, because even if a country never eats dog meat, it could abuse other industrially farmed animals, which already happens on a large scale around the world. I support bans on eating dogs, but I also support increased strictness in animal welfare laws and the enforcement thereof.
Well you're talking to a vegan/veggie with a Korean signature. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For you. But I'm a moral relativist.
Animals may die to become my food.
I ask that they be treated as humanely as practical.
But how is that moral when it's unnecessary? It's not like self defense when resorting to violence, even accidentally killing in the practice of, is seen as a necessity and generally allowed and pardoned under the law.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah you hit the nail on the head with that one. I agree 100%, that there are certain animals in this world that are unique and are special companions with mankind with their loyalty, affection , and all around cuddliness.

Definitely animals included but not limited to the list would be of course, fellow primates, dogs and cats, horses, ferrets, and I hope minks as well and various birds of prey , as well as our more domesticated ones like parrots and such. To me those animals are worth protecting because of the great benefit and contributions that they have shown and earned as far as I'm concerned. I would also like to see certain intelligent sea animals included as well.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure that the wild precursors of chickens still exist. But if I remember correctly chickens are a hybrid of some sort. Or else they have been with humans so long that they would be considered their own species.
I'm not sure on that. I don't know much about the origin of chickens.

Consulting the "Great Oracle" Google, I found this. It seems that the origin of modern domestic chickens is from hybridization of potentially several wild precursor species in the same genus, Gallus with primary stock from the red jungle fowl.

https://livestock.extension.wisc.edu/articles/origin-and-history-of-the-chicken/#:~:text=The%20classification%20of%20today's%20chicken,in%20Southeast%20Asia%20and%20Oceana.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm also in the 'I think pigs are less ethical to farm than dogs' camp. They're far and away smarter, just more independent. With better social/communication capabilities, just less inclined to do so with food motive. Especially in older breeds less bred down. They have similar or better EQ, and thus capability of suffering.

Furthermore, on a purely selfish note, pigs are a much closer vector to humans and we transmit more zoonotic diseases back and forth.

Dogs are also way easier to farm in quasi-urban environments than just about anything except chickens, require less feed, are easier to pen, etc.

Imo, this has way less to do with ethics than a global telecommunication effect of seeing eating dogs as 'unclean' and 'poor.' Eliminating dog meat improves the percieved wealth and viability of a nation. We saw similar instances in history such as when horse meat went out of vogue.

It's still a win for ethical vegetarians, I think, but a win for the wrong reasons, and will no doubt have the void filled with other poorly treated animals.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But it's still okay to get an abortion, right?
I'd sooner outlaw factory farming over abortion any day. The former causes far more tangible suffering, both to the non-human and human animals effected by the massive environmental destruction factory farms represent, as well as the deplorable conditions in which thinking, feeling beings exist in, able to comprehend their suffering far more than any human fetus or zygote.

But since you were just trying to derail the thread, feel free to make another thread about this topic if you want to seriously talk about it instead of just launching unrelated snide comments. You can even quote me if you want.