• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Korea Passes Bill to Ban Consumption of Dog Meat

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm also in the 'I think pigs are less ethical to farm than dogs' camp. They're far and away smarter, just more independent. With better social/communication capabilities, just less inclined to do so with food motive. Especially in older breeds less bred down. They have similar or better EQ, and thus capability of suffering.

Furthermore, on a purely selfish note, pigs are a much closer vector to humans and we transmit more zoonotic diseases back and forth.

Dogs are also way easier to farm in quasi-urban environments than just about anything except chickens, require less feed, are easier to pen, etc.

Imo, this has way less to do with ethics than a global telecommunication effect of seeing eating dogs as 'unclean' and 'poor.' Eliminating dog meat improves the percieved wealth and viability of a nation. We saw similar instances in history such as when horse meat went out of vogue.

It's still a win for ethical vegetarians, I think, but a win for the wrong reasons, and will no doubt have the void filled with other poorly treated animals.

I agree that there are inconsistency and subjectivity in some of the perceptions about which animals are okay or not okay to eat, and I think cultural norms are the primary source of the subjectivity. I used squids and octopi as examples of highly intelligent but widely eaten animals earlier in this thread, and I think pigs fit the bill too.

Do you personally avoid pig meat altogether, or are you okay with buying it if it's sourced from a ranch or smaller farm rather than an industrial one?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that there are inconsistency and subjectivity in some of the perceptions about which animals are okay or not okay to eat, and I think cultural norms are the primary source of the subjectivity. I used squids and octopi as examples of highly intelligent but widely eaten animals earlier in this thread, and I think pigs fit the bill too.

Do you personally avoid pig meat altogether, or are you okay with buying it if it's sourced from a ranch or smaller farm rather than an industrial one?
I tend to avoid pork. Even when I grew up on a subsistence farm. I've wanted to go vegetarian for a while, and probably should stop waiting to get my husband on board. Nobody likes to be told they either have to eat what they don't like but what's prepared or fend for themselves. That goes for the both of us.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to avoid pork. Even when I grew up on a subsistence farm. I've wanted to go vegetarian for a while, and probably should stop waiting to get my husband on board. Nobody likes to be told they either have to eat what they don't like but what's prepared or fend for themselves. That goes for the both of us.

Does that mean you will prepare meat for him and vegetarian food for yourself, and vice versa for him when he cooks?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sounds like a good idea to me
I may have a good alternative. For some reason many men think that eating dog meat will make them more virile. Often such beliefs arise out of minor similarities. That is why rhinoceros horn was sometimes used for the same purposes, when toenails would have been just as effective (in other words, not very). What could possibly be more virile than a snake? I mean the thing has "penis" written all over it!

In southern Florida they are a very troublesome invasive species. So here is your cure, eat this meat and you help the environment, it is actually tasty, and it may even be farmable: