• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone Died Today...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Someone died today, someone I've known for many years. An important part of the gay rights movement in Canada during the seventies and eighties (I was also a part of that movement), someone who supported the rights of sex workers (he was a sex worker himself, as was I). He was also a professor of journalism in a Toronto university. I won't say his name, but I've given you enough to find him, if you care to.

He died with the help of a physician, under Canada's laws allowing Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD), because his rapidly advancing Alzheimer's was robbing him of himself.

He died surrounded by friends, at peace, and comfortable with his choice.

I'm posting this not because he was important to the world (he was important to me), but because we've been discussing the issue of choice, of being "pro-life" or "pro-choice." I must honestly say, just now, while I'm feeling my own sadness at his passing, that this is an untenable, a stupid dichotomy.

I am both pro-life and pro-choice. What we never seem able to do is address the fact that if both are important, we need to find a way to navigate the sometimes painful dilemmas we are faced with. And because I am pro-choice, I am glad that he got his wish and died as he wanted to. And because I am pro-life, I celebrate the life he had, so long as he enjoyed partaking of it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Heart is with you. Loosing a loved one generally isn't easy but having friends around makes it better.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Someone died today, someone I've known for many years. An important part of the gay rights movement in Canada during the seventies and eighties (I was also a part of that movement), someone who supported the rights of sex workers (he was a sex worker himself, as was I). He was also a professor of journalism in a Toronto university. I won't say his name, but I've given you enough to find him, if you care to.

He died with the help of a physician, under Canada's laws allowing Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD), because his rapidly advancing Alzheimer's was robbing him of himself.

He died surrounded by friends, at peace, and comfortable with his choice.

I'm posting this not because he was important to the world (he was important to me), but because we've been discussing the issue of choice, of being "pro-life" or "pro-choice." I must honestly say, just now, while I'm feeling my own sadness at his passing, that this is an untenable, a stupid dichotomy.

I am both pro-life and pro-choice. What we never seem able to do is address the fact that if both are important, we need to find a way to navigate the sometimes painful dilemmas we are faced with. And because I am pro-choice, I am glad that he got his wish and died as he wanted to. And because I am pro-life, I celebrate the life he had, so long as he enjoyed partaking of it.
The death of people for whom we have particular respect and regard always gets to us.

I agree with you that pro-life should be a balancing element in pro-choice, as long as the balance is left to the individual.

John D. Brey

I imagine the pro-life crowd would point out that he chose to end his life of his own freewill while the unborn aren't given that choice. That said, I happen to be pro-choice for theological reasons related to when human life (versus biological life) actually begins. I don't believe human life begins at conception but at birth. So for me it's a woman's choice.

. . . Sorry to hear of your loss.

John

Last edited: