• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some people's secret is not to be entered into

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Because poetry.

He could have said those words in a poetic yet plain way.

I'm at a loss for why do people have to change what the Bible says into "it really means this." If it says it, that's what it means. Their secret is not to be entered into says Jacob to those who have a soul like his (to those with "ESP," etc.)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
He could have said those words in a poetic yet plain way.

You could say that about any given piece of poetry. Fact is, the author didn't, because they didn't want to.

All of the translations are done by scholars.

Many translations contradict each other. Many scholars disagree on the meanings of these details.

Some translations are done by committees. Some are done by invidivuals. Some translations have commentaries.

Hence why I asked, which ones?

Would you trust a Christian translation/commentary of this Jewish text over a Jewish one, for example?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
You could say that about any given piece of poetry. Fact is, the author didn't, because they didn't want to.

Many translations contradict each other. Many scholars disagree on the meanings of these details.

Some translations are done by committees. Some are done by invidivuals. Some translations have commentaries.

Hence why I asked, which ones?

Would you trust a Christian translation/commentary of this Jewish text over a Jewish one, for example?

God (the Holy Spirit) is not a God of confusion, says the Bible. If He said it, He meant it, less He be causing confusion.

He said, don't enter into their secret, so don't enter into their secret.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
God (the Holy Spirit) is not a God of confusion, says the Bible. If He said it, He meant it, less He be causing confusion.

An irrelevant claim; far as I'm concerned, the authors of these texts, collected in the various Biblical canons, were as human as the rest of us, no more or less divinely guided than the authors of any other text. It is always upon that assumption that I approach these texts, and I've never been given any reason to do otherwise.

He said, don't enter into their secret

Actually, it says this:

בְּסֹדָם אַל תָּבֹא נַפְשִׁי

And here's a translation/commentary from a Jewish scholar, for your consideration:

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8244#v=6&showrashi=true

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
An irrelevant claim; far as I'm concerned, the authors of these texts, collected in the various Biblical canons, were as human as the rest of us, no more or less divinely guided than the authors of any other text. It is always upon that assumption that I approach these texts, and I've never been given any reason to do otherwise.

Actually, it says this:

בְּסֹדָם אַל תָּבֹא נַפְשִׁי

And here's a translation/commentary from a Jewish scholar, for your consideration:

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8244#v=6&showrashi=true

Christian scholars outrank Jewish scholars in my belief because Jews DO NOT believe that Jesus is the Messiah, while Christians do. Christians are more in tune with God than the Jews in my book.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Christian scholars outrank Jewish scholars in my belief because Jews DO NOT believe that Jesus is the Messiah, while Christians do. Christians are more in tune with God than the Jews in my book.

I disagree. As someone who's neither Jewish nor Christian (nor do I regard the Bible as terribly relevant to my life outside of a personal liking for some of the stories); basically, an outsider, I trust that Jewish people understand their own language and texts (such as the Torah) better than non-Jewish people.

Meanwhile, the translation you quoted at the beginning is the KJV. That translation, while certainly containing some of the finest Early Modern English poetry, is several centuries old, and used language that was archaic even back then. Many words have changed their meanings from those days, either in direct meaning or in connotation. For instance, while the word "secret" hasn't changed much in denotative meaning since its Latin root, "come into [a person/group's] secret" might have been an idiom that referred to something that was not necessarily "secret". Now, it also might not have been, but without more information, saying one way or the other isn't entirely possible because it's written in a dialect that most people don't speak anymore.

Simply put, as an English translation, it's outdated.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I disagree. As someone who's neither Jewish nor Christian (nor do I regard the Bible as terribly relevant to my life outside of a personal liking for some of the stories); basically, an outsider, I trust that Jewish people understand their own language and texts (such as the Torah) better than non-Jewish people.

Meanwhile, the translation you quoted at the beginning is the KJV. That translation, while certainly containing some of the finest Early Modern English poetry, is several centuries old, and used language that was archaic even back then. Many words have changed their meanings from those days, either in direct meaning or in connotation. For instance, while the word "secret" hasn't changed much in denotative meaning since its Latin root, "come into [a person/group's] secret" might have been an idiom that referred to something that was not necessarily "secret". Now, it also might not have been, but without more information, saying one way or the other isn't entirely possible because it's written in a dialect that most people don't speak anymore.

Simply put, as an English translation, it's outdated.

Well, to the faithful, it says come not into "their secret."

Was nice talking with you. :)

Noah

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ma'am, with all due respect you are not a scholar whereas the Bible translators are scholars.

Again their views and opinions outrank yours.

I get such a kick out of you folks that decide something is fact - even when you are shown evidence to the contrary.

1. You are capable of looking up the actual Hebrew - online. Note that the word translated "secrets" is first, not in the middle of the sentence - giving YOU a wrong impression.

2. I gave you my translation.

3. I gave you the translation opinions of well known Biblical Scholars!

4. At this point you are just doing the nanner-nanner-ain't-so dance, as all of the evidence points to this logical conclusion, and translation.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I get such a kick out of you folks that decide something is fact - even when you are shown evidence to the contrary.

1. You are capable of looking up the actual Hebrew - online. Note that the word translated "secrets" is first, not in the middle of the sentence - giving YOU a wrong impression.

2. I gave you my translation.

3. I gave you the translation opinions of well known Biblical Scholars!

4. At this point you are just doing the nanner-nanner-ain't-so dance, as all of the evidence points to this logical conclusion, and translation.

I might have missed something you said, and I'm really finished with this...if it says, don't enter into their secret, then don't enter into their secret.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Emphatically no! :)

I am not a Hebrew (Jew,) Christian, nor Muslim. I just believe in the God of Abraham.

What???

You have told us you believe in the God of Abraham and Jesus as Messiah.

You also obviously are believing - your idea - of what a Tanakh text says!

That definitely makes you a believer in the religions teaching this, - thus Abrahamic.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I might have missed something you said, and I'm really finished with this...if it says, don't enter into their secret, then don't enter into their secret.

As shown - by me, - and Biblical Scholars, - it does not actually say that, - or mean that.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Well, to the faithful, it says come not into "their secret."

Good for them. Meanwhile, I'll trust the word of actual language scholars over the "faithful."

Sure, but the KJV scholars (which is the Bible that most Christians go by)

Since when? As stated previously, that translation is outdated, by virtue that few people, if any, speak that dialect of English anymore.

When I last looked, the most popular English translation among English speaking (non-Catholic) Christians was the NIV.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You don't need to be a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim to believe in the God of Abraham...what was the Prophet Noah's religion if you know so much?

Oh my! Study-study-study.

The God of Abraham is YHVH. That is specific.

Parts of he Christian story of Jesus comes from a misunderstood translation of a Tanakh text - in Isaiah, - and the idea of the Hebrew awaited Messiah.

You cannot believe in the DOGMA (teachings) of these religions without believing in the religions. In other words - you can't believe Jesus is Messiah without agreeing that the New Testament is correct, AND - that Tanakh stories of a coming Messiah are correct. That does not compute.

To say GOD, - is also the God of Abraham is one thing, - but you didn't say that, - and you added in the belief in the idea of Messiah Jesus.