• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Advice on Building my own computer

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Ok so here how it is looking now

Case: Antec 900 link
Antec is not my thing, so I can't really tell. It can hold 6 HD's.. Wouldn't be enough for me as I got 7 on this moment :p
Most people have no trouble with that though..

CPU: Intel i7 920
:yes:

Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 4850 link
I cannot easilly find an nvidiamatch as I do not know prices in your country.
Search for 9800gtx or better. (Or GTX 280 or better)

HDD: 1 TB samsung link
Good drive..
If you want performance though, chose a veliciraptor as C: disk and this one as data disk. I got a raptor myself and I highly reconment it..

Memory: OCZ 6gb triple channel link
I had trouble with ocz, but I don't think you will. The trouble I had was a combination with nforce wich is solved allready. You don't even have nforce so..
Motherboard: Asus S1366 Intel X58 link
I always adored asus in motherboards. Got evga myself now, wich I prefer for overclock, but that's also based on my sli setup.
Optic Drive: 2 of these cheapy DVDRW link
Are you going to burn DVD to DVD???
If not, I would reconment one Bluray drive instead, to make it a little more futureproof. Or even take only one and keep the option open for bluray.
Wireless: Edimax n card link
I prefer desktops to be connected by cable. :flirt:
PSU: Corsair 750W link
750 w will be way enough for now. Will you be going crossfire btw?
CPU Cooler: Scythe Samurai ZZ link
No experience. I asume you either want to overclock or want to reduce the sound or else the cpucooler you get with your processor will suffice. If you want to reduce the noise, I reconment zalman though.
What guys think?

Way the go! In all, it seems like a nice setup (Except for the aticard ofcourse :p)
You will be needing an 64bit OS now though, or else your 6 gb ram will be useless, so before you buy this stuff, first check if it's all 64bit compatible. I asume so btw..
And I really want to know what your futureplans are with this thing. If this is going to be your final setup I would ditch the cpufan, take one DVD drive, and add a bluray or upgrade your videocard instead. If your willing to add extra hardware at a later point, keep this setup.
And what is your main target? Making movies, gaming, making music...etc..

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I would say the best bang for your buck as far as video card are concerned is the ATI Radeon 4890. My friend just spent over $350 on a new Nvidia GTX 285 video card when the 4890 can be bought for over $100 less and can be overclocked to achieve pretty much the same benchmarks.

Everything else is looking pretty good. However, if you really want to guarantee that you'll be getting the chicks, I'd throw this heatsink into your system:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC RR-B2P-UV10-GP 120mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Seriously, just look at this thing:

cooler-master-v10-cooler_imagelarge.jpg

The peltier cooler is a semiconductor that basically has one side that gets freezing cold, the other side gets quite hot. So they disipate the hot side with a traditional cooler on the semiconductor. The cold side faces the CPU.

I would also second Mr. Bouncing Ball's recommendation with the Raptor drives. They are pricier but I tell ya what, put two of those in a RAID 0 configuration and your PC will be smoking. I don't know what you use your system for but 1 TB of storage space seems like overkill. I personally just use my system for gaming and not for storing a bunch of movies or songs but if that's your thing, why not just look into external storage?

Last edited:

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Antec is not my thing, so I can't really tell. It can hold 6 HD's.. Wouldn't be enough for me as I got 7 on this moment :p
Most people have no trouble with that though..

6 is enough for me lol :p

I cannot easilly find an nvidiamatch as I do not know prices in your country.
Search for 9800gtx or better. (Or GTX 280 or better)

Can't afford either of those cards. Here is a list of some stuff in my price range. link

Good drive..
If you want performance though, chose a veliciraptor as C: disk and this one as data disk. I got a raptor myself and I highly reconment it..

Don't think I could afford that just now.

Are you going to burn DVD to DVD???
If not, I would reconment one Bluray drive instead, to make it a little more futureproof. Or even take only one and keep the option open for bluray.

Bluray is to expensive just now and I want to optic drives. The DVD RW is only £2 more than a DVD reader so though might as well get a second writer.

I prefer desktops to be connected by cable. :flirt:

Not practical for me at all.

750 w will be way enough for now. Will you be going crossfire btw?

Was told to get a decent 620W PSU but the 750W of same make was only £5 more so went for it to give room for expansion

No experience. I asume you either want to overclock or want to reduce the sound or else the cpucooler you get with your processor will suffice. If you want to reduce the noise, I reconment zalman though.

I was told I needed a CPU cooler regardless?

Way the go! In all, it seems like a nice setup (Except for the aticard ofcourse :p)
You will be needing an 64bit OS now though, or else your 6 gb ram will be useless, so before you buy this stuff, first check if it's all 64bit compatible. I asume so btw.

Yup everything is 64 bit :p

And I really want to know what your futureplans are with this thing. If this is going to be your final setup I would ditch the cpufan, take one DVD drive, and add a bluray or upgrade your videocard instead. If your willing to add extra hardware at a later point, keep this setup.

Will be upgrading this at a later date for bluray, high def monitor, more hard drives etc.

And what is your main target? Making movies, gaming, making music...etc..

Gaming, general usage computer.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Oh and I just ordered my i7, made sure it was one of the newer version that use DO stepping and not CO stepping. Oh yea :p

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
a gts 250 might do, a bit more expensive, less ram but more speed. It will kill in benchmarks And you'll be getting nvidia cuda and physics. But ati is indeed the cheaper one in the midrangecards.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
a gts 250 might do, a bit more expensive, less ram but more speed. It will kill in benchmarks And you'll be getting nvidia cuda and physics. But ati is indeed the cheaper one in the midrangecards.

Oh now see the gts 250 is only £20 more. But im already over budget and really trying find cheaper bits not more expensive lol.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Well my PSU, CPU and memory came today :)

Got an Intel i7 920, OCZ Gold 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 (3 x 2GB) and an OCZ StealthXstreme 700 W SLI ready PSU.

I have dubbed it "Project Don't Panic"

Renji

So I'm looking at spending about £1000 (1600 USD, 1100 Euro) on a new computer. Yet I'm not to sure what I should be looking at.

There are a few things I want. A DDR3 compatible motherboard, quad core (was looking at the intel i7), decent graphics card (was thinking along the lines of a 9800GT or the 9600GT), was thinking it should be 64 bit, a full tower case to leave room for expansion. I was looking at including Vista (with seven upgrade) and a monitor into the price (just along the lines of a 19 inch monitor).

So any suggestions people?

Just make sure that you have a good anti virus once your computer is already available.:)

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Thought I'd post the final specs:

Case: Antec 900
Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB Triple Channel (3 x 2GB)
PSU: OCZ StealthXstreme 700 W SLI ready PSU
HDD: 1TB Samsung 7200RPM 32MB S300
Motherboard: Gigabyte S1366 Intel X58
Graphics Cars: Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB PCI Express
Monitor: Viewsonic 22 inch widescreen
OS: Windows 7, got the RTM version off Microsoft website for now until it is realised on 22nd October, ordered the Home Premium version just.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Thought I'd post the final specs:

Case: Antec 900
Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB Triple Channel (3 x 2GB)
PSU: OCZ StealthXstreme 700 W SLI ready PSU
HDD: 1TB Samsung 7200RPM 32MB S300
Motherboard: Gigabyte S1366 Intel X58
Graphics Cars: Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB PCI Express
Monitor: Viewsonic 22 inch widescreen
OS: Windows 7, got the RTM version off Microsoft website for now until it is realised on 22nd October, ordered the Home Premium version just.
Grats, dude! You'll have to post a pic when you get it completed.