• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solution to homosexuals is by government executions according to Pastor.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
By God's law it is. It's called fornication. God didn't create man to lay with man or a woman to lay with a woman, it's not natural. God also doesn't recognize the marriage between a man and a man or a woman to a woman.

If it's not natural, why do parents, pastors and society at large have to work so hard to tell people it's wrong? Why are so many people bisexual or homosexual if you just let them be?

Sure, the Bible might pretend it isn't natural, but from a biological perspective it's just a part of the human spectrum.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Eschatology is an area that believers can't agree about among themselves, and Christians will disagree with Jews on this matter. Christians will interpret the OT to support their NT beliefs, such as about what the end of days is and will look like, the nature and fate of the soul after death, what Sheol is, and the role and nature of the messiah. Like much scripture and poetry, which also uses ambiguous language and vague imagery, it means whatever one wants it to mean, hence over 40,000 different denominations of Christianity based in the same scripture.
So your answer is, "what ever one wants it to be" because there is no agreement among believers anyway?
But I asked how do you think (not others) explain OT eschatology?

How about you take my Bible quiz (answers to follow)?
What's the point of your test? I could use google for anything I don't know and how would you know I'm being honest with you?

In french our have two word for pride orgueil and fierté.
Fierté its naturelle and good .
as in the sense "I am proud of your efforts my son" on the other hand orgueil refers to a completely different concept "he is too proud to recognize that I am right"

ppp

Yes, Christians are sinners. That's why they shouldn't label themselves as "Christians". A Christian is someone who is Christ like. Paul said, "It is better to be called a Christian then to call yourself one".
All that calling oneself a Christian means in the real world that we all inhabit is that one belief eves that there is a god, that one is born sinful and that Jesus is the way and the door to salvation from the wages of blah blah blah.

It says nothing else about you. It certainly does not say that your beliefs are sensible, moral or correct.

ppp

By God's law it is. It's called fornication. God didn't create man to lay with man or a woman to lay with a woman, it's not natural. God also doesn't recognize the marriage between a man and a man or a woman to a woman.
"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a *** — a idiot." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens

samtonga43

It is irrational to pretend that is not Christianity.
What makes you think I am pretending it is not Christianity, Policy?

Christianity is not just what your particular faction agrees with. Christianity is a whole heap of conflict, with all of you shouting about how the Bible proves that whatever hot take your faction adopts is the real, true Christianity.
Some Christians shout about what the Bible proves or does not prove.
Some atheists shout about ALL Christians doing this or believing that.
It's the same logical fallacy.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's the point of your test? I could use google for anything I don't know and how would you know I'm being honest with you?

I guess you didn't read that the test was open-book, meaning that you are free to refer to scripture either from a paper Bible or digitally online. Furthermore, why is that an appropriate answer from you but not from me? And why shouldn't either of us be free to consult useful resources? In my profession, we used reference books and searched archives repeatedly. If I wanted to discuss the Ten Commandments, I would look them up despite having a basic understanding of what they say. The first few are about God, a couple about stealing, lying, coveting, one about honoring the sabbath and one about honoring parents. But if I were in a discussion of the subject other than one like this, I'd have the text in front of me.

The eschatology thing was too open-ended. Various writers on the subject can't agree on what comprises eschatology. You wanted three sentences, and it seemed like you were preparing to grade it according to your own subjective understanding of what the question was asking for. It's also an irrelevant topic to me, and not a fit test of biblical competence. Where the believer and the skeptic disagree is in areas like internal contradictions, errors in science and history, prophecy, and the like. That's where the skeptic becomes most proficient in biblical matters even if he's an ex-Christian.

When I was a Christian, I studied the theology - the things believers believe that assume the existence of the biblical god and that the scriptures are its revelation. What did Elijah say and do? What did Isaiah prophecy? What do the psalms teach us? What are the signs of the end times? Eschatology goes into this category. None of that matters to me any more for obvious reasons, just as I suspect that like me, you don't care what the analogous answers are in Islam.

When I say that most skeptics understand the Bible better than most believers, I'm not discussing the theology. I'm talking about the ability to understand what any given passage means. I'm talking about the disagreements believers and unbelievers routinely have over the meaning of scripture. Unbelievers aren't going to argue theology except possibly where it affects their lives, as with the abortion discussions, for example. They don't care about whether baptism should be by sprinkling or immersion, nor what weekday the sabbath falls on, and wouldn't get involved in such a discussion. Nor one on Old Testament eschatology. That's theology as I've defined it. I realize that some use a broader definition to include the Bible as literature and the cultural impact of the Bible through history, but separate those two out because they're academic topics that, unlike doctrinal disagreements between believers, might be of interest to an unbeliever.

Too bad you weren't willing to take my quiz. We could have compared and discussed our answers. It might have been instructive for both of us.

Reactions: ppp

ppp

What makes you think I am pretending it is not Christianity, Policy?
The last line of your post to which I was replying.
Some Christians shout about what the Bible proves or does not prove.
Some atheists shout about ALL Christians doing this or believing that.
It's the same logical fallacy.
Ok. I retract the word shout and replace it with claim.

What exactly is the fallacy?

...if someone recited Mein Kampf this would be hate speech, why should the bible get a pass?

One could as well say that what you say there is hate speech and you should go to jail because of that.

...So you don't think it's hate speech to claim people should be executed because they happen to have been born gay? ...

I don't think Bible says "people should be executed because they happen to have been born gay". No one is born gay.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sorry, I think that is false. Bible God's will is written in the Bible and can be seen in the Bible.
Then you deny that God's will is written in any other scripture, yes? Or that God's will can be written by God directly into the hearts of individual humans, yes? Only what is in the Bible is God's will, yes? (So that if any more Canaanites show up, we should kill them and rape their daughters).

Please show why this is true.