• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solitary Christian

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I read a thread, among many, that the OPs wanted to leave the Church and be solitary.

~~Church: Body of Christ. Not a bulding. Not an organization. A group of brothers and sisters in Christ.~~

Yet, I believe its impossible (according to scriptures) to be a solitary Christian (to practice as a solitary christian NOT salvation and being a christian)

Theme: You cant practice Christianity as a solitary Christian.

1. Corinthians 12:27: "Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it."

If one is solitary, how is he or she really a part of Christ's body? Not metaphorically. Not by abstract thought. Literally, not figuraturely, be a part of Christ.

2. Ephesians 2:19-22
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit."

How do you build a temple alone?

3. 1 Corinthians 10:16-17
"Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ? Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread."

Bread meaning life not actual bread.

Christ called christians to share in Him and partake life through Him. How can one take communion alone?

4. 1 Corinthians 12:25-26
"so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it"

Being a solitary Christian is like a family member running away from their home. They STILL have the love from their family they had while there. Yet, what more love you can feel when in fellowship with your family. Runing away from family is dividing the Body of Christ.

5. Romans 12:6-8
"Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."

How can one serve their brothers and sisters, if they are separated from the body?

This is one strong core point of this thread:

For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. And if the ear says, "Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way.

While it is hard to find a proper Church, a well to-do Bible study group, a christian get together, even a friendly christian chat room, when I see christians without a Church, I wonder how they are mirroring Christ.

Christ was not alone in His ministry; why are some Christians?

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I read a thread, among many, that the OPs wanted to leave the Church and be solitary.

Church meaning Body of Christ. Not a bulding. Not an organization. A group of brothers and sisters in Christ.

Yet, I believe its impossible (according to scriptures) to be a solitary Christian (to practice as a solitary christian NOT salvation and being a christian)

Theme: You cant practice Christianity as a solitary Christian.

1. Corinthians 12:27: "Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it."

If one is solitary, how is he or she really a part of Christ's body? Not metaphorically. Not by abstract thought. Literally, not figuraturely, be a part of Christ.

2. Ephesians 2:19-22
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit."

How do you build a temple alone?

3. 1 Corinthians 10:16-17
"Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ? Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread."

Bread meaning life not actual bread.

Christ called christians to share in Him and partake life through Him. How can one take communion alone?

4. 1 Corinthians 12:25-26
"so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it"

Being a solitary Christian is like a family member running away from their home. They STILL have the love from their family they had while there. Yet, what more love you can feel when in fellowship with your family. Runing away from family is dividing the Body of Christ.

5. Romans 12:6-8
"Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."

How can one serve their brothers and sisters, if they are separated from the body?

This is one strong core point of this thread:

For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. And if the ear says, "Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way.

While it is hard to find a proper Church, a well to-do Bible study group, a christian get together, even a friendly christian chat room, when I see christians without a Church, I wonder how they are mirroring Christ.

No - 1Corinthians 12:12-31 is specifically talking about problems amongst the groups, when they come together. 1Corinthians 11:17 - 22 makes this very plain.

1Co 11:17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

1Co 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

1Co 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

1Co 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

There has been the practice of Solitary practitioners from the beginning.

John in the wilderness, Jesus off on his own, monks, solitary nuns, and many people over the ages.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know there are solitary christians. I find it nearily impossible to follow Christ as one.

Nuns have covenants. They work with each other and other types of nuns work for others as well as for their brother and sister in Christ.

Christ did not walk alone in His ministry. He had disciples. He had followers. He had His famil. He had His God. By no means was He alone. (If we are to be alone, why worry about our neighbors)

Yet Christ says what you do for another, you have done for me. (Matt 25:40).

The whole book of Acts was about (simple language, not bible history literate) going to the gentiles and converting. Evangalization. The apostles where not alone.

Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Catholics of all branches and their lookalikes all believe in one Body. They woek together. In pairs. In groups. There is no separation in Christ.

Communion in and of itself is between more than one person. We go take communion (at any Church) not for ourselves but for everyone.

Christ did not "die alone." He died for all so that all may share in His suffering. (1 peter 4:13) and crucifiction (galations 2:20).

To say one can follow Christ by Himself is saying Christ had no limbs. Everyone works together.

Thats why I say there is no solitary Christian. All denominations I know of have communal worship of some type.

Without communal worship (bible study, chat room, or whatever) how is one mirroring Christ?

No - 1Corinthians 12:12-31 is specifically talking about problems amongst the groups, when they come together. 1Corinthians 11:17 - 22 makes this very plain.

1Co 11:17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

1Co 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

1Co 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

1Co 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

There has been the practice of Solitary practitioners from the beginning.

John in the wilderness, Jesus off on his own, monks, solitary nuns, and many people over the ages.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Interesting topic but it piques my insatiable curiosity about something.
If you don't want to respond that's o.k. and I mean not to pry into anything
personal.
Your avatar words say you are a Holistic Pagan.
I do not have a clue what an Holistic Pagan is.
Could you help me to understand what that means?
Also you post many very, very, good responses and your topics are always
interesting and you write very well.
I'm curious though why an Holistic Pagan posts so much about Christianity?
Nothing wrong at all about anything you write here and I enjoy your stimulating
way of writing.
I am merely curious, not in any way trying to be judgmental.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I know there are solitary christians. I find it nearily impossible to follow Christ as one.

Nuns have covenants. They work with each other and other types of nuns work for others as well as for their brother and sister in Christ.

Christ did not walk alone in His ministry. He had disciples. He had followers. He had His famil. He had His God. By no means was He alone. (If we are to be alone, why worry about our neighbors)

Yet Christ says what you do for another, you have done for me. (Matt 25:40).

The whole book of Acts was about (simple language, not bible history literate) going to the gentiles and converting. Evangalization. The apostles where not alone.

Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Catholics of all branches and their lookalikes all believe in one Body. They woek together. In pairs. In groups. There is no separation in Christ.

Communion in and of itself is between more than one person. We go take communion (at any Church) not for ourselves but for everyone.

Christ did not "die alone." He died for all so that all may share in His suffering. (1 peter 4:13) and crucifiction (galations 2:20).

To say one can follow Christ by Himself is saying Christ had no limbs. Everyone works together.

Thats why I say there is no solitary Christian. All denominations I know of have communal worship of some type.

Without communal worship (bible study, chat room, or whatever) how is one mirroring Christ?

And every group mentioned has followers that go off by themselves to commune with God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
And every group mentioned has followers that go off by themselves to commune with God.

Then why not Jesus say "dont worry about your family, your brothers, your sisters, stangers...go forth on the hill tops individually and serve your God."

Why would there be members among one Body if the Body can do whatever it wants (limbs cant walk off alone)

A person's devotion to God, is of course personal. To be one Body of Christ, it is not metaphorical, it means to commune. To remember Christs name and what He has done. It has always been communal worship..from OT siting around the table as a family while half the town is killed for not having blood on their doors to the Last Supper.

Understand my point?

eEDIT

It does not mean you cant spend time alone with God. Jesus did that all the time. It means thr lifestyle of a Christian is not about oneself. Its about ones relation with God. That relationship can only be met theough Christ. And the way to serve Christ is "not just" personal devotion but He emphased communal worship. In His life, His ministry, and the words from His God.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thats a good point. Thank you for asking. Call me silly, I just find the experiences I had practicing Christianity are positive and the negativety I see behind it i.e. deciding against fellowship; questioning Jesus' nature; talking ill of denominations; and non christians talking ill of believers saddens me. I like to tell more about my positive experiences. I also like to understand why and more important how believers think as they do. Sometimes I know why, but the how puzzles me. Guess trying to understand why the dead horse wont wake up.

EDIT (Other faiths seem to have a multicultural outlook. Its easier to understand a lot of Jewish perspectives because the language is not defensive. Practicing Jews and Muslims I meet have such a deep respect for God that to debate about Him is a no-no. The only christian denomination that is similar in that regards these days are Catholics and their offshoots. I knoww some JW in person who tell me about Christ and I tell them about the relarionship I have with the earth and there is no "you are wrong or misinformed." Thats my experience. I have met some interesting apples in Buddhism, Christianity, and paganism in person. None of which represents the faith they practice.

As for holistic pagan...couldnt think of a better title. I see paganism as a faith with a direct relationship with the earth, people, and oneself. I find the reverence to nature a core aspect of this faith.

The way I live it (my def. of worship) is holistic. All natural means of taking care of myself from what I eat, what I allow stay in my mind, to what I wear and present myself. I feel that paganism is a fancy word (modern terms) to being intuned with life.

personal.
way of writing.

EDIT Oh. Holistic pagan isnt a formal word. I just add the adjective (holistic) to differientiate polytheistic paganism which, traditionally, thats what many pagans are.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
personal.
way of writing.
Sorry, one more note. I still have personal connections with christianity. Kind of like loosing a friend because of a severe disagreement but reminded of the good times among the bad. Also, I practically have no fellowship with pagans. On RF I have been insulted because I dont have ill feelings about my former faith. I also dont believe in mythological Gods; so, Im out of the loop on that.

Last edited:

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Carlita:
Thank you for the well written candid answers that satisfy my innate curiosity.
You are a well rounded and intelligent person.
You also come up with the oddest avatars. :D:D

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Carlita, they have a title for you: Christian Deist.

Many deists will cringe at the notion of such a title, but in a weird way it actually works, once explained. If you want to know more, just give me a shout.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
For me personally it took 15 years of being in a church, to finally realized that I didn't need the church, and that truth set me free.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Do you not see you've only posted Paul the Pharisee, to substantiate why people should be religious?? :cry:
Yeshua went off to the wilderness on his own to pray, said the Son of Man has no place to lay his head, took on the whole system on his own....Thus people followed him for having the faith within, to be his own person.

One of the key things that made him great, was his not needing to be accepted, standing against what was wrong, even if he was standing alone.

Now where as Yeshua calling the church/synagogue a place of satan, where they will persecute us... It sounds like, for some reason you're looking for fellowship in the wrong places.

The path is narrow and not many find it; please don't take the wide road with everyone else. :innocent:

p.s. Christians follow Paul, John and Simon the stone (petros); not Christ, don't be mistaken by the great deception. :sparklingheart:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im not saying people cant be devoted to God alone; its a personal relationship. What Im saying is that Jesus, by His Words, life, and ministry showed examples of communal worship. For example, the Isrealites in the OT, of course, could have worshiped alone, but He chose them as a "people" not individual persons. The apostles did not evangelize separately. They did in groups to different areas to convert the Gentiles. They and at the Lords Supper did not break bread alone. The apostles (I think paul or peter) in the former and Jesus in the latter sat with all His disciples.

He was in touch with his God, His family, His disciples, and those strangers who desired hear His Word. He died for all not for Himself.

The whole bible screams communal worship by whatever means (as I mentiond in my OP--bible study, church (regardless the denomination), even christian chat room.

Christians have personal relationship with God. I dont see how that can flurish unless one is with his or her brothers and sisters in Christ.

Why worship God if you dont want to commune with His people? Jesus did not leave His loved ones to worship God alone. He did so, so that He can tell others about His Father's words.

You can be a christian alone. You can devote youself to Christ alone. To fulfill the the second greatest commandment, one doesnt just worship alone but with others. Help others. Die for others. Just as Christ.

Its not a solitary faith.

Do you not see you've only posted Paul the Pharisee, to substantiate why people should be religious?? :cry:

Yeshua went off to the wilderness on his own to pray, said the Son of Man has no place to lay his head, took on the whole system on his own....Thus people followed him for having the faith within, to be his own person.

One of the key things that made him great, was his not needing to be accepted, standing against what was wrong, even if he was standing alone.

Now where as Yeshua calling the church/synagogue a place of satan, where they will persecute us... It sounds like, for some reason you're looking for fellowship in the wrong places.

The path is narrow and not many find it; please don't take the wide road with everyone else. :innocent:

p.s. Christians follow Paul, John and Simon the stone (petros); not Christ, don't be mistaken by the great deception. :sparklingheart:

EDIT

Religious by what means?

Fellowship, yes. Does not matter how.

Specific denomination type worship, no.

Communal worship does not need to be a ritual. Its just saying Jesus life, death, and resurrection (ministry, His saving believers, His giving hope for "all" to come to His Father's Kingdom) is a reflection of how God sees believers as a people not as a person.

Understand?

Fellowship in the wrong place????

"p.s. Christians follow Paul, John and Simon the stone (petros); not Christ, don't be mistaken by the great deception"

Which is odd since all comes from Christ. Apostles taught that. Even more so, all comes from God, Jesus taught that. ;)

I can only talk in plain language. I havent read the Bible in years. I never got to study if in depth. Its pretty simple message, though.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For me personally it took 15 years of being in a church, to finally realized that I didn't need the church, and that truth set me free.
I should say,Church is fellowship and being part of the body of Christ not a denomination. Fellowship could mean anything from Bible study to christian chat rooms. You can find fellowship without a "church" I dont see how one can find fellowship without a Church as Christ is one body many parts.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Carlita, they have a title for you: Christian Deist.

Many deists will cringe at the notion of such a title, but in a weird way it actually works, once explained. If you want to know more, just give me a shout.
Haha. Im christian by sacrament, not belief. Christian deist? I do believe anyone can have a personal relationship with God as I do the Earth (nature, family, friends, people). I just find it odd to worship alone.

Do explain.o_O Curious about this one.

Last edited: