• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socrates

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Is there a database of his thoughts anywhere. I realise all his teachings have been conveyed 2nd hand through Plato and xenophonionton, but I've googled and boogled and can't seem to locate the location of said sayer.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
sorry, do you want to hear some of his arguments? things like "is 'x' good because god loves it, or does God love 'x' because it is good?"

plato wrote about his teacher, socrates - socrates did not write anything himself, as far as i am aware

Maxist

Indeed, I have searched for the same thing myself. Although it is not the biggest thing on my list of things to do. But as far as i know the closest thing to it is the database of Philosophy at Caimbridge.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This thread reminds me of Bill and Ted.

I don't think I've ever heard of any one database having everything that was wrote about him, just little quotes here and thier.

A

angellous_evangellous

ChrisP said:
Is there a database of his thoughts anywhere. I realise all his teachings have been conveyed 2nd hand through Plato and xenophonionton, but I've googled and boogled and can't seem to locate the location of said sayer.
The best thing that you can do is just read Plato, Xenophon, and Aristotle first, and then read how they are interpreted in scholarly journals. Diogenes Laertius and I think Plutarch also have writings on Socrates that are very useful. It will also be helpful to know how Socrates is interpreted by other early philosophers like Teles, Epictetus, and others.

I have a paper on Socrates if you'd like a bibliography of useful sources, both ancient and modern.

AE

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Mike182 said:
sorry, do you want to hear some of his arguments? things like "is 'x' good because god loves it, or does God love 'x' because it is good?"

plato wrote about his teacher, socrates - socrates did not write anything himself, as far as i am aware
Yeah, I'm looking for an online resource (as complete as possible) of WHAT he taught ;) signed and verified original texts on papyrus need not apply. :slap:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ChrisP said:
Yeah, I'm looking for an online resource (as complete as possible) of WHAT he taught ;) signed and verified original texts on papyrus need not apply. :slap:
i haven't looked for one, but if you come across one, you will send me the URL for it won't you!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ChrisP said:
Only if you promise to stop pointing that umbrella ;)
what umbrella? the only umbrella ive ever "pointed" was never retrieved........ wait a second........ have i seen you before?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Mike182 said:
what umbrella? the only umbrella ive ever "pointed" was never retrieved........ wait a second........ have i seen you before?
No but only because of the balaclava :)