• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So why doesn't god heal amputees?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Most of us are not aware of the proper terms...

Proper terms when addressing disabilities

sight impaired
hearing impaired
physically disabled
mentally disabled
I was unaware such words existed. Myself, I didn't mind if anyone called me crippled when I was attempting to move around the first couple weeks after knee surgery. My brother (who broke his left femur and dislocated both hips, and is disabled) even acknowledges he is a cripple. For awhile, all he was known as was "gimp" and he embraced it with pride.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I wouldn&#8217;t mind having the regenerative abilities of some reptiles. They lose a limb and >poof!< it comes back. There might be a reason that they need this ability and humans don&#8217;t. I don&#8217;t think our limbs or senses are fair representative of our human nature. If I lose fingers or an arm, I am still Patrick but I may no longer be Patrick the pianist. I have seen people who have no arms paint beautiful art with their feet. I have experienced people with no eyes, play musical instruments as if they did. I do not think these are handicaps or obstacles but I do see them as interesting challenges. There was an elderly lady who lived in the back from our house. She had no left arm but still managed to do her laundry, gardening and other household chores. She was very proficient with sewing and embroidery. Not only did she overcome her disability but she was also awe-inspiring.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
whats the big deal deal, its just the word that properly describes you, if you are crippled, then you are 'a' cripple, just like if you are redheaded, then you are 'a' redhead. why is it offensive?

At best, "cripple" is a dated term and at worst a pejorative. It has been one since the 60s, that's almost 50 years for everyone to get the memo. Please refrain from using the word "cripple" again in this thread or I will request moderation. "Disabled" is the preferred term.

From your first post here...

Christians give him him credit for healing pretty much most thing that we have cure for, but never has he just spontaneously healed an amputees missing limb i the same manner. why is that? does he have a grudge against cripples in general? they are not worthy?

"Grudge against" and "not worthy" imply many things, none of them positive.

Most of us are not aware of the proper terms...

Proper terms when addressing disabilities

sight impaired
hearing impaired
physically disabled
mentally disabled

amputee = ??? (is there a better term for this)

I won't speak for the blind, as I am not one, but I have never heard a blind person reference themselves as anything but "blind." Never "sight impaired."

I will speak for the deaf, as I am part of the group. It's deaf or hard of hearing (though there is a little controversy over this term as it's hearing biased, though I use hard of hearing as I'm not completely deaf). Hearing impaired is not a favoured term. In fact, any term involving "impaired" is not likely to be a favored term.

Amputee is the best term.

I was unaware such words existed. Myself, I didn't mind if anyone called me crippled when I was attempting to move around the first couple weeks after knee surgery. My brother (who broke his left femur and dislocated both hips, and is disabled) even acknowledges he is a cripple. For awhile, all he was known as was "gimp" and he embraced it with pride.

Having a temporary disability is in no way like being permanently disabled. It's like painting your skin black and saying you know what it's like to be a "n*****."

I'm permanently disabled. I will call myself cripple or gimp and don't care if close friends, particularly disabled ones, call me that. However it's quite different when those words are used as a slur against me, which they have been many times. Even when my own mother makes some sort of "gimp" joke when I'm struggling to do something so simple as stand up from a chair or get out of bed my first instinct is to throttle her. It's not appreciated, to say the least.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
really? then why do people pray for other peoples health? like when they are dying or have perhaps a non lethal but serious disease? then why pray if that is true?
You would have to ask them. I surely don't. God is Spirit and deals in the spiritual realm.

des

First of all, to the term "cripple". It is considered very derogatory. However, I have seen a disabled rights group with a magazine called "Crip rag" or somethign like this. It was a badge of honor used amongst themselves to rail against telethons, etc. A more polite term/Pc term is physically disabled. OTOH, I have never cared for terms like "differently abled", which I have never quite been able to stomach. I have aspergers and we, amongst ourselves call ourselves auties or autists, something long out of fashion. A more PC term for amputee would be person with an amputation. It gets a little long though. The purpose is to point out that the person is not just the amputation.

As for any stories of healings of most things they are pretty much entirely anectodal. A lot of other things have a specific time length or there are known cases of spontaneous healing (cancer, even terminal has a few of these). God will take the credit, or perhaps God heals everything, however you want to think of it. I am pretty dubious of any physical healing for the reasons above. Of course to someone who takes the Bible literally they might take this to mean I think that people were lying who wrote about Jesus. I do not. I think they were showing how important this person was in a way they could. In the Hebrew Bible miracles tend to be in the form of magical events-- a burning bush, etc. I also think it is possible that someone who really believes somethign will be cured of something at times. It is the belief that cures and not what is believed, per se. So anyway, in my view, any kind of illness or condition that doesn't have a spontaneous cure attached to it, well it can't be cured.

I'm not really an atheist, but I just don't think God operates in that way. If he did, I think he would be a very cruel being who ignores the prayers of some people (for instance all the people in Aushwitz, leading to other cruel notions, for instance God not hearing prayers of people with certain beliefs). Other people God would be ignoring is parents of many children, etc.

--des

may

Christians give him him credit for healing pretty much most thing that we have cure for, but never has he just spontaneously healed an amputees missing limb i the same manner. why is that? does he have a grudge against cripples in general? they are not worthy?

darn it, the title should read "why doesnt god heal amputees'........i hate myself.......
and some christians know from the bible that it is not the time right now for God to heal us in a physical way, we are being healed in a spiritual way at the momment , but at a FUTURE time the physical healing will happen . and at that time there will be no sickness on the earth any more . ISAIAH 33;24. and Jesus showed us in a small scale way how with power from the most high , healing of people is easy . but it is not happening now on the earth ,it will happen at a future time . GREAT THINGS ARE AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT . the healing that Jesus did when he was on the earth,
foreshadowed the healing blessings that will be extended to mankind under God’s Kingdom rule. (Re 21:3, 4) ........nice

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Allah challenges every person with something in their lives. The way I see it is sometimes Allah is saving that person from something. A blind person does not have to give an account for what they saw or witnessed. A mute person cannot commit sins of the tongue, and so therefore is exempt from any liability on the Day of judgement. A deaf person cannot listen to haram things and so on. Allah usually presents a hardship in this life, to make it easier in the next. Those of us who do not suffer a physical ailment should be ever more thankful to Allah for His bounties. He could have taken our sight, speech, hearing, or limbs but didn't. It is not only something for the disabled to think of, but for those of us that witness them live anyway.

Bronze

Bronze
Ðanisty;834157 said:
Maybe there's nothing wrong with amputees. ;)

nothing is wrong with losing limbs huh? its just peaches and daisies?

i never said there was anything wrong with the people themselves if thats what you mean... imagine that amputee lost his job because of it, went into depression got devorced as a result of it, ect? is that hard to image? this probably happens to them all the time, dont you think?

so, if god will miraculoslycure (according to christians) cancer, homless/joblessness, saves people from fires, ect. why does he never help out an amputated person who is probably going through hell after losing a friggin limb for cring out loud!

lets cut off one of your limbs and see you still think nothing is wrong with it....

Ðanisty

nothing is wrong with losing limbs huh? its just peaches and daisies?
I never said that and you know it. What I said was that there was nothing wrong with them. Does it suck to lose a limb? I would imagine so, but that doesn't make them defective people. You're twisting my words and it's not appreciated.

i never said there was anything wrong with the people themselves if thats what you mean... imagine that amputee lost his job because of it, went into depression got devorced as a result of it, ect? is that hard to image? this probably happens to them all the time, dont you think?
I think it happens far less than you're implying. :rolleyes:

lets cut off one of your limbs and see you still think nothing is wrong with it....
You sure make a lot of assumptions. For all you know, I could already be without a limb. :sarcastic All of my extremities happen to be intact, but I'll tell you what, I've known people missing limbs and people in wheelchairs. I almost dated a guy in a wheelchair. We decided it was a bad idea because I had dated his brother a few years back. What I can tell you is that amputees are perfectly capable of moving past their disadvantages and live a fulfilling life. I have a friend that was born with no fingers on one of her hands...they were severed while she was still in the womb. There's nothing wrong with her. She's perfectly happy and she's capable of anything anyone else is capable of. In fact, she's noticed how her "disfigurement" has been a huge advantage for her.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

It (in my mind) is no reflection whatsoever on my God that he doesn't heal amputees; Life is one long lesson (whether you believe in one life or multiple lives). God needs us to learn - some of the lessons may well well mean needing to cope with disabilities; who knows ?

The only thing I do know (that works for me) is that I believe that God doesn't heal amputees -or any sick people- because their incapassibilities are a part of their lives.........Just as much as as the spider who feeds on the fly.............:)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Everyone has past karma from previous births to work out. Even if one's body is missing a limb, the true self or Spirit is always complete.

Random

It is not the job of GOD to go about righting OUR wrongs, dis-eases or misfortunes.

We are each responsible for our own persepective on our own life-tale and circumstance.

Being prepared to be responsible for your own destiny is, for me, one of GOD's great hopes for a human being. Because therein lies the power that everyone has to OVERCOME dis-ability, to triumph in adversity and contribute to a world of love and happiness.

This is unconditional. You cannot say "Oh, I have no arm..." or "I cannot walk.." and waste pity upon yourself when GOD has given you so much already.

The gift is LIFE. What form it takes, what fortunes beset you, are dependent upon many factors unrelated to Divine Will: GOD does not want you to be sick or disabled or debilitated, but that IS part of it, like it or not. You have a chance when you have LIFE, if nothing else, to be happy, to HEAL, and be WHOLE in Spirit if not body.

Amputation is not the end of life, and neither is death. These are just different kinds of Transformation.

An Amputee, as Doppleganger might point out, is still the Hero in his own life-story.

Everything changes.

That's LIFE: accpet it in all compassion and love, and therein lies the strength to make things better, always and forever.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
It is not the job of GOD to go about righting OUR wrongs, dis-eases or misfortunes.

We are each responsible for our own persepective on our own life-tale and circumstance.

Being prepared to be responsible for your own destiny is, for me, one of GOD's great hopes for a human being. Because therein lies the power that everyone has to OVERCOME dis-ability, to triumph in adversity and contribute to a world of love and happiness.

This is unconditional. You cannot say "Oh, I have no arm..." or "I cannot walk.." and waste pity upon yourself when GOD has given you so much already.

The gift is LIFE. What form it takes, what fortunes beset you, are dependent upon many factors unrelated to Divine Will: GOD does not want you to be sick or disabled or debilitated, but that IS part of it, like it or not. You have a chance when you have LIFE, if nothing else, to be happy, to HEAL, and be WHOLE in Spirit if not body.

Amputation is not the end of life, and neither is death. These are just different kinds of Transformation.

An Amputee, as Doppleganger might point out, is still the Hero in his own life-story.

Everything changes.

That's LIFE: accpet it in all compassion and love, and therein lies the strength to make things better, always and forever.

Wow! All I can say is, your post definitely deserves frubals! :yes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I suspect we shall be able to regrow missing parts one day. cell research is advancing all the time. There is no reason why we would not be able to learn from the gene processes of reptiles and fish. I understand that research in to regeneration of teeth is reaching a promising stage.

God has given us the brain power and models in nature to follow... it is just a matter of time.

Of course the religious right think cell research is wrong... it is not their only error.

Do not expect God to do, what we will one day be able to do for our selves.

If we did not spend so much on killing and war, we would have more than enough cash to spend or useful research.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger

darn it, the title should read "why doesnt god heal amputees'........i hate myself.......

The Republicans told me it is because HE is antistemcell research. (just a joke)

If you wish to talk privately about this subject and your personal dealings with your feelings, I'm always here. Just PM me. We'll talk it out. I'm one bad step away from a new leg myself.... have been since I was 12.

PS- I don't think this is a debate people..... they have things they want to get out.

uumckk16

He doesn't. He specializes in fixing hearts.

Can't frubal you anymore :(

This was so cheesy, it brought a smile to my face and made me want to say "aww" :)

But not to dismiss what you were saying. In all seriousness, I agree with you.

whats the big deal deal, its just the word that properly describes you, if you are crippled, then you are 'a' cripple, just like if you are redheaded, then you are 'a' redhead. why is it offensive?

:eek: Are you kidding? She just told you it offends her. If you're going to ask ignorant questions, do you think you could word them a little more sensitively?

uumckk16

Well, for one thing, God's word has been completely revealed to us already, and Jesus has come and died for us already.

The need for miracles was never just to make someone well...miracles were used to prove to nonbelievers about Jesus and God. Now that we have that inspired word, there is no need for them anymore.

Also consider the following passage:

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
1 Corinthians 13:8-9

Tongues and prophesying were both considered miracles, and this verse says that they will fail and cease.

If miracles happen today, why aren't people raised from the dead anymore? Why can't water be turned into wine? When someone can present me with solid examples of miracles, of someone being raised from the dead (or someone's limbs growing back after amputation), then I can believe that miracles do still happen. Until then...

Why do you need solid proof for miracles today but you can accept miracles that happened thousands of years ago?

Just curious :shrug:

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Why doesn't god heal amputees?
Because that would require a level of acting and special effects that most people just don't have.

Besides, if there really were a God that wanted people to believe in Him without any evidence whatsoever, the last thing He would do is go around healing amputees. A misterious stomach cramp can go away instantly after prayers, but no way will He allow someones leg to grow back in front of everyone. It would spoil everything.