• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Why Did The Mass Shootings Occur This Last Weekend? Well I Gots The Answers

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
What it specifically does not say is that the militia should be well regulated. The constitution says only that a well regulated militia is necessary:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nowhere in there does it say a militia should be well regulated. Rather it says that a well regulated militia is necessary. This is all. There is no command to ensure the militia is well regulated only a proscription of the infringement on the people's right to keep and bear arms. Presumably, in part, because doing this would then render what was regarded as a well regulated militia impossible.
So when the amendment specifies that a well regulated militia is necessary, where on earth do you propose said regulation was intended to come from? And do you therefore believe that the amendment should ensure unfettered access to firearms without any regulation?

You are not saying that the peoples current ability to buy, keep, and bear arms needs restricting?
I'm saying that their rights are not being restricted. Access is. The industry and sale of firearms is a whole different thing to actual right to purchase. People have the right to purchase cars, but that doesn't mean that laws can't be put in place restricting the sale and ability to drive cars. Do not equate the right to own with restriction of access - they are not the same thing.

I admit that when there is a specific action and intent demonstrated it is okay to limit individual's freedoms in those particular cases. This is regulation. This is the elimination of freedom. But this is for a specific articulable cause.
And in this case it is for a specific, articulable cause that guns cause more gun violence.

The first part is not an issue, let alone the actual issue. It is irrelevant whether or not guns cause more harm than they prevent if the regulation we are discussing is outside of the authority of the government to regulate. The second part--what measures can be put in place to limit the harm by individuals with guns--is most certainly an issue. And we arediscussing that. Some seem to think the government should act outside of government authority to limit guns. I think it should not.
But you have thus far been completely unable to specify exactly where the line is - you accept regulation against owning nukes or bazookas, or for children to own guns, and must therefore believe that these are within government authority to do. Yet you seem extremely evasive on the matter of how much more regulation you would accept before it becomes "outside" of said authority. To me, it just seems a meaningless distinction that you can use to justify existing regulation while dismissing any potential further regulation without reasonable justification. Until you actually draw the line, this argument is meaningless.

For private citizens you believe there are laws regarding the storing of bleach? Cite them.
Bleach is sold with tamper-proof seals and with appropriate product labels as per Federal regulations and guidelines:
Federal Hazardous Substances Act (FHSA) Requirements

One is a minority.
Irrelevant and missing the point.

I said many, not most.
Which is why your argument was flawed.

No not does not, and clearly not clearly so.
Once again, it absolutely does. Your semantic word games do not dismiss that fact.

No. The government is allowed to regulate non-military firearms because historically they slid by a case unchallenged in the 30's. (Disregard of course the fact that the weapons they discussed do have military uses). It was held nonetheless in Miller and then in stayed that way. Because Americans did not object and there was no controversy Americans essentially acquiesced that authority. The government has established massive (though some limitations exist) power in the commerce clause, so they can very much limit guns in some respects through that . Felons should be self explanatory. Kids is a little tricky. As long as the laws have exceptions for kids then they are ok. Without the exceptions they are no longer ok. But making broader restrictions than these are problematic. There are surely some categories that still exist that would be less problematic to regulate.
Again, you're getting by by accepting existing regulation with no real, meaningful indication of why you accept that regulation and no further regulation beyond "people accepted it". Are you unwilling to accept the possibility of further regulation in any form?

Only in as much as one can say that regulation of speech is not only possible, but already exists. Again no right is unfettered. But generally speaking, broad regulation of guns is outside the authority of law.
Again, this is ambiguous wording. What counts as "broad regulation of guns"? How is banning access to bazookas or peventing children or felons from accessing guns NOT "broad regulation". Where is the substance to this distinction?

Some I do. But as I said, not challenging a law can show an acquiescence to some authority. Therefore ANY further regulation should be challenged. Even if that regulation does not, in fact, infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms. I have already acknowledged that depending on Licensing requirements, for instance, a law requiring Licensing may or may not be unconstitutional (i.e. infringement on the people's right to keep and bear arms).
I'm all for challenging a law, the question is whether the challenge is actually justified. So far, you have failed to justify an objection to further regulation.

So if you wantto call that regulation fine. However i specifically stated the type of regulation that i said was impermissible. And that is "regulation [that] infringes on the people's right to keep and bear arms."
And yet you refuse to say precisely what that would constitute.

It seems you want to strawman me as saying no regulation is permissible.
Then stop tap dancing and tell us what further regulation you would accept.

I said 2, not your second bullet point. was listed as "2) the amendment already states that citizens should be well regulated." If you have a problem following your own labels perhaps you should label more clearly. So no, not a "lie." Cheers though.
I thought you meant the second bullet point - no need to patronize me, it was an honest mistake.

Again, it does not say people should be regulated.
Yes it does.

Re: calling whatever one likes "infringement." That is tricky as well. I would suggest it is similar to "respecting" in the establishment clause. I personally read "infringe" as very broad. There is definitely room for reading "infringe" much more narrowly. But pretty much everyone would read preventing all sales or any possession (and i know you are not saying this) as infringement.
So how much "infringement" are you willing to accept?

I have no objection to regulation of firearms that does not infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms.
Again, this is ambiguous. Be clear as to precisely what regulation you would accept.

Tell that to japan
Yet again, that's irrelevant. The fact that Japan has a high suicide rate doesn't change the fact that suicides are more likely in households that have firearms.

That is not true. Just because I accept that some freedoms must be necessarily limited does not mean I accept that all freedom should be necessarily limited.
That's not the point. The point is that couching this debate in terms of "freedom" is meaningless and and not an argument, so stop using it. It's just empty, emotive rhetoric.

That is great you think that, now you can empathize with how I feel about what you are doing.
What have I done to distract from the issue?

wellwisher

Guns are inanimate objects. They do not possess spirits or artificial intelligence. If you believe that inanimate objects like guns contain artificial intelligence or spirits, we could save more lives by banning automobiles. About 1.25 million lives are lost to automobiles, worldwide, each year. The evil spirits in cars do way more damage than guns.

The bottom line is a guns, like cars, are inanimate objects. They require humans to become animated. We need to regulate the humans, not the inanimate objects. Separation of Church and State does not allow the Government to promote the Leftist religion of inanimate object having evil spirits. This insanity is why there is an Amendment.

We regulate the humans who wish to drive the inanimate objects called automobiles. You need to take a test to show you are proficient at driving before you can get a license. This procedure is also done with guns. Most cities and counties require gun safety training before you can get a license. Once you get a license, one is not allowed to drive a car if you are mentally impaired. You can get pulled over, and your license taken, if an officer of the law senses you are impaired.

In the case of the mass shooters, all the shooters were mentally impaired and should not have operated a gun. This mental impairment is where we need to address.

Up to about the 1980's, the mentally impaired were wards of the state and were institutionalized to help them and to segregate them from society. The Democrats changed the laws and released the mentally impaired onto the streets, thinking this was a good idea; mental patient bill of rights.

Beginning in the 1950's and 1960's, the Psychiatric community oversold the need for mental health care, to promote their growing industry. This led to over crowding in the mental health facilities. It got to the point where other Psychiatrists began to believe that that were too many people, in those facilities, who should not be there. However, the laws were such that they were forced to be there.

These Psychiatrists also believed that advancement of drugs would offer a way for a patient driven solution; mental patient bill of rights. The result was many patients were released, who still needed personal care, beyond the drugs. The pendulum swung too far the other way. This drug mentally is still prevalent if you consider all the drugs given to children with ADD and other conditions, that were once treated without drugs; psychology.

Now those who used to taken care of, by the state, are among the homeless and among those who pose a threat to others. Most are on drugs, legal or illegal but lack personal care. The left screws up culture and then pretends to be the one who has the solution to the problem that they created. Consider ObamaCare, which altered health care and how all the Democrats candidates believed we need a solution to health care, after their party broke it. They never admit it, but act like Trump created ObamaCare.

The mentally impaired Democrat leadership should not be talking about solutions to problem they created, unless the goal is to divide people and make the problem worse. Maybe they need a background check, to see if they are part of the previous problem, that got us here.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not for a moment saying there aren't cases of legitimate "self defence" with firearms. But as a general rule, I really don't think it's a good justification for allowing the US's massive gun proliferation. Apart from anything else, you have to wonder just how many of the legitimate cases would have happened if there weren't so many guns out there to begin with? There are inherent feedback loops in the issue.

Well, it's like the old saying, "if they outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns." The idea is that guns won't go away overnight, even if they are banned outright. Criminals would still be able to get them on the black market, so this carries the implication that honest people would be at a disadvantage against criminals.

This also raises a point about the general culture of crime in the U.S. We've had organized crime, notorious bank robbers, a history of street gangs - all of which has also become part of Americana.

That may be another significant difference between the US and other countries, since one generally doesn't hear about any equivalent of the "Five Families" in Australia or Canada. "The Godfather" or "Bonnie and Clyde" were uniquely American stories, although I've never heard of anything equivalent in other countries. I'm sure there must be some, but they don't seem to get the same level of attention.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree, and your points are well made.
Until it's rewritten, though, you're stuck with its somewhat anachronistic and confusing language.

I think the point you made about having to interpret it in a modern sense is important too. For me, though, that doesn't preclude the importance of historical intent.

Still, my position on this is pretty simple, and (as a non-American) completely without impact. Still, to state clearly...

I don't think the Second Amendment precludes gun control, particularly at the state level.

That's about it. I do think the gun lobby as a whole is extremely political, and don't see that as good. This includes their interest in Australian politics, incidentally.

I think it ultimately comes down to a clash of values. After all, I don't think the majority of pro-gun advocates really want to encourage lawlessness and murder. If they feel like they're being unfairly blamed for these murders because of their stance on guns, then that may entrench their position even further.

There's also a widespread belief that the government wants to take away everyone's guns and that doing so is a prelude to totalitarianism. People who favor gun control would do well to try to convince these people that crime will be stopped and that governmental abuses of power will be minimized.

I would suggest that any proposals for gun control should also be combined with major crackdowns on gangs and organized crime, as well as stronger amendments (with teeth in them) to protect the public from governmental abuses of power.

shmogie

Why isn't that a breach of the Constitution, but any talk about restriction of rifles based on class or function is?
Please note, I'm not arguing for a guns ban. I am suggesting that gun control (whatever form it takes) is not a constitutional no go zone, since weapon control is already a thing, and the amendment talks about right to bear arms. Not 'small arms' or any other distinction.
Some people think that way. However, the Constitution needs to be interpreted by original intent.

The original intent was what folk
Well, it comes down to the reason why people want to have guns in the first place. If we're talking home defense, then it seems there are plenty of those who ostensibly believe that they are targets or that someone is out gunning for them.
No, it isn´t some form of paranoia. It is simply dealing with reality and mitigating risks. As a LEO, a sheepdog, I saw what the wolves did to the sheep. It was always good to see an armed sheep who dealt with the wolf preying on them.

When the antigunners stop robberies, rapes, and murders, in peoples homes, then we would not need arms to defend ourselves.

shmogie

I think it ultimately comes down to a clash of values. After all, I don't think the majority of pro-gun advocates really want to encourage lawlessness and murder. If they feel like they're being unfairly blamed for these murders because of their stance on guns, then that may entrench their position even further.

There's also a widespread belief that the government wants to take away everyone's guns and that doing so is a prelude to totalitarianism. People who favor gun control would do well to try to convince these people that crime will be stopped and that governmental abuses of power will be minimized.

I would suggest that any proposals for gun control should also be combined with major crackdowns on gangs and organized crime, as well as stronger amendments (with teeth in them) to protect the public from governmental abuses of power.
This makes some sense. Remember, for the most part law enforcement is reactive. One cannot depend on them to always be able to protect you. A response time of one minute can be too late.

I believe the individual has the primary responsibility of protecting themselves.

Remember, one of the first things hitler did was confiscate the peoples firearms.

It is totally irrational to say it cannot happen here.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So ? Can they not have a view on the subject ? You don´t like their opinions ? Go insulate yourself in your safe space.

When I was growing up, firearms were more available than now. You could buy them through the mail.

Yet mass shootings were unheard of. Why ?

As society became more ¨ progressive΅" and technology advanced, they have become more and more common. Why ?

Our society produces young white male killers at an alarming rate. Why ?

Only dunderheads think that so called gun control will stop these shooters. The tool they use to kill cannot be controlled, That is a pipe dream. The only thing that is controlled is the law abiding citizen.

You can lay a fully loaded AR 15 down in a park, and it will lay there a million years, and harm no one. If a person picks it up, it can become dangerous because the person can be dangerous.

As long as people want to chose a band aid to treat a severed artery, because it is easy to get, the bleeding will never stop.

The predators created by our society will always hunt, and until we address what causes them and find ways to identify them before they go over the edge, there are going to be mass deaths.

i fear no one will have the cojones look for the rot in our society, they will instead go with the flow and adopt a plethora of laws, that the hunting wolf will ignore and break, just like they do now.

Yes, but by stopping fire arms you will have mass stone throwing instead. Seems slightly better.

Ciao

- viole

Skwim

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, the mayhem continues/occurs because of anti-God diatribes.
Ah yes. How many times have we heard, "Boy, if it wasn't for all the anti-God diatribes I would never have bought an AK-47 and slaughtered all those people."

The nature of much of mankind is ridiculous. What a world.

It would be interesting if there were an alternative universe somewhere where animals had weapons and mankind animals were hunted. They’d deserve it.

People with guns for hunting, sport are egotistical weaklings in my opinion. Whiny babies for “rights” in this particular regard. Far from strong, tough, manly, or womanly. Little weak boys and girls.

A Vestigial Mote

I agree with so many points on both sides. I think it is people who kill people, not guns, and so the people element should be addressed. But I also have to take the 2nd amendment down to bare bones: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." All is says is "the right to bear arms". "Guns" as "arms" are sort of an arbitrary point of reference anyway - even IF the founding fathers meant guns. We could develop some technology in the future for a personal weapon that makes guns into the less effective way to kill prey and/or defend oneself. If we did so, do you think the founding fathers would necessarily always agree that "the right to bear [most recent tech]" is a must?

In the end, I think we are at the point that something just needs to be tried. We select what are figured to be the most heavily influencing factors and make changes, see what happens. My personal vote would be to erect a giant monument somewhere prominently displayed in the U.S. (likely DC), called "The Wall of Cowards." You make it a pure, glowing yellow, and into it's face you etch the names of anyone who commits a mass shooting that meets whatever criteria is established. You make it a big media ordeal to show the authorities etching the next person's name into the wall, and you even etch the names of their parents. "So-and-so, son of [X] and [Y] Smith". If they write a manifesto, you print a copy and stuff it into the monument's sister-monument - a giant styrofoam-rubber a$$ with a hole made just for the stuffing-in of documents. You try and get the media on board with calling out these people as the "next official coward of the state." Just rub that crap in until everyone knows exactly where their legacy will stand if they pull this kind of horrific act.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I agree with so many points on both sides. I think it is people who kill people, not guns, and so the people element should be addressed. But I also have to take the 2nd amendment down to bare bones: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." All is says is "the right to bear arms". "Guns" as "arms" are sort of an arbitrary point of reference anyway - even IF the founding fathers meant guns. We could develop some technology in the future for a personal weapon that makes guns into the less effective way to kill prey and/or defend oneself. If we did so, do you think the founding fathers would necessarily always agree that "the right to bear [most recent tech]" is a must?

In the end, I think we are at the point that something just needs to be tried. We select what are figured to be the most heavily influencing factors and make changes, see what happens. My personal vote would be to erect a giant monument somewhere prominently displayed in the U.S. (likely DC), called "The Wall of Cowards." You make it a pure, glowing yellow, and into it's face you etch the names of anyone who commits a mass shooting that meets whatever criteria is established. You make it a big media ordeal to show the authorities etching the next person's name into the wall, and you even etch the names of their parents. "So-and-so, son of [X] and [Y] Smith". If they write a manifesto, you print a copy and stuff it into the monument's sister-monument - a giant styrofoam-rubber a$$ with a hole made just for the stuffing-in of documents. You try and get the media on board with calling out these people as the "next official coward of the state." Just rub that crap in until everyone knows exactly where their legacy will stand if they pull this kind of horrific act.
Problem is, I'm willing to bet such a monument would actually have the reverse affect on mass shootings. It would ensure that the shooter's name and manifesto are essentially preserved forever, even if they are notorious. People who commit mass shootings aren't generally terribly concerned with people thinking positively of them - otherwise, they probably wouldn't be mass shooters. They're more often sociopathic narcissists, who only care about being known, even if it's notorious. Furthermore, there will always be people who'd treat that kind of monument as a form of martyrdom (to many, becoming an "enemy of the state" is actually aspirational).

It would be much more effective to completely obliterate any and all records of the shooter's existence, remove their name and intentions from any future reporting of the incident, and to instead erect a monument to people killed in mass shootings that omits any shooter's names. This is actually something recommended by the world health organization, and studies have shown mass shootings in which the shooter's name is widely reported in the media tend to result in a larger number of subsequent and copy-cat killings than when the shooter's name is omitted.

I do like the giant a$$ idea, though. Could we just do that anyway?