• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So why did God allow Christians to be lead astray for so long?

Theodore A. Jones

So I guess if you are Catholic...this question might not apply to you. It applies more to Protestants.

Anyway though....when I read the writtings of the early Church Fathers Clement of Rome (Pope), Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp of Smyrna, it is clear they were not Protestant when you look at their views of Church tradition, Church hierarchy, how to worship, their belief about the Eucharist being the Body and blood of Christ, and the centrality of the Eucharist in worship services, and they were not solascriptura.

Not just that though, but, all of the influential Christian writers that were leading and sheperding the people and that Christians were relying on to preach the faith and guide them from heresy were mislead for so many centuries, if indeed you think the Catholic faith is mislead.

I am no longer Catholic and barely even Christian after about a nine month period of being agnostic. But, when I try to place my trust in God, I have to wonder how trustworthy he is and how to reconcile the fact that if Catholicism is false, God allowed those who seek him and the entire body of Christ to be mislead for more than 1500 years.

So, how am I or you so important that we think he is going to guide us and bring us to the truth but not all those countless other generations of Christians before us? Not to mention, still by far the largest body of Christians is still Catholic.

It's just hard for me to trust God when I look at the history of Christianity. Those who are often leading people astray are the very ones who have dedicated their life to seeking God and pray incessantly and place God first in their lives.

It's a bit discouraging for someone like myself who is just barely holding onto faith and for a while had no faith at all.

Thanks for any help you may be.
Only pseudomorphic christians have fell for the lie introduced in Galatia. Currently there are very few, if any, authenic Christians. Men love untruth rather than truth.

Wharton

Ha ha ha....no you have an infallible Pope. Anyone who goes against his teaching is going to hell. Right? No control there......just fear.
And anyone who disobeys the teaching of your governing body, which has flip flopped on doctrine through the years, is shunned, dies and takes a dirt nap before being poofed out of existence. Nice.

BTW. The pope has made only one infallible statement which wouldn't interest you much.

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
So I guess if you are Catholic...this question might not apply to you. It applies more to Protestants.

Anyway though....when I read the writtings of the early Church Fathers Clement of Rome (Pope), Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp of Smyrna, it is clear they were not Protestant when you look at their views of Church tradition, Church hierarchy, how to worship, their belief about the Eucharist being the Body and blood of Christ, and the centrality of the Eucharist in worship services, and they were not solascriptura.

Not just that though, but, all of the influential Christian writers that were leading and sheperding the people and that Christians were relying on to preach the faith and guide them from heresy were mislead for so many centuries, if indeed you think the Catholic faith is mislead.

I am no longer Catholic and barely even Christian after about a nine month period of being agnostic. But, when I try to place my trust in God, I have to wonder how trustworthy he is and how to reconcile the fact that if Catholicism is false, God allowed those who seek him and the entire body of Christ to be mislead for more than 1500 years.

So, how am I or you so important that we think he is going to guide us and bring us to the truth but not all those countless other generations of Christians before us? Not to mention, still by far the largest body of Christians is still Catholic.

It's just hard for me to trust God when I look at the history of Christianity. Those who are often leading people astray are the very ones who have dedicated their life to seeking God and pray incessantly and place God first in their lives.

It's a bit discouraging for someone like myself who is just barely holding onto faith and for a while had no faith at all.

Thanks for any help you may be.
God allows man to use their will as they are want to do, from kings to paupers, from prophets to apostates. The apostles warned that the church like a bride would be driven into a forest (and lost) to be replaced by the whore of babylon, which would torment and kill the followers of God. (revelations). That atrocities are done in the name of some God or some Church or Religion since the apostles were killed should not be surprising.

I also warn be careful what you lay on the feet of God the fault of man as his fault.

You may have to unlearn what you have learned somewhat but you need to humble yourself before God, and be willing to go whichever direction you are taken. The bible is an incredible treasure my advice is to put off what others say about it for awhile and study it and pray about it and see what impressions, thoughts and conclusions you come to, I've also found the Mormons' book of mormon to be very helpful as well. Do a lot of thinking and work on it, seek his Spirit.. Don't rush and be patient. God has had dealings with many different peoples.

Good luck to you and may you have God's spirit with you on your Journey.
I've also found other religious material that is godly. I've found that native americans have a lot of good advice for getting in tune with God as well.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
The pope's not clergy either.

Not clergy? Was he not a Cardinal before the puff of smoke? o_O

Is the Pope not recognized as the head of the Catholic Church....Christ's representative on earth? Is he not still called "the Pontiff"? (Pontifex Maximus)

Did you never wonder why this nice man was chosen? He seems wonderfully naive and totally oblivious to the malevolent workings of the Vatican. It's hard not to like him. The church has never had a Pope like him before.....haven't you wondered why? Wasn't Benedict's resignation a shock to most Catholics? Did he jump, or was he pushed?
Perhaps with all the bad publicity over recent years, he might be a little damage control?

This little bit of history regarding the Popes who resigned gives an interesting insight about their election....

[url="http://historymedren.about.com/od/thepapacy/tp/Popes-Who-Resigned.htm"]Popes Who Resigned - Pontiffs that Abdicated[/url]

And anyone who disobeys the teaching of your governing body, which has flip flopped on doctrine through the years, is shunned, dies and takes a dirt nap before being poofed out of existence. Nice.

And where did you glean that bit of nonsense? Don't tell me, let me guess....? There is no end of garbage in a garbage dump. Funny, I guess the Jewish religious leaders did that to Jesus too. Bad 'publicity' about him was convincing enough for the whole nation to believe it. Imagine.....the devil made the son of God out to be a religious fraud!

BTW, I think taking a 'dirt nap' might be better than being poked by the devil in the flames of hell forever.....what do you reckon? :rolleyes:

And there were no "flip flops"...just clarifications as we expected. Read Proverbs 4:18 and you might understand why we made adjustments in our thinking as time went on....and why we have a watchtower as our symbol.

When something wasn't right we corrected it....when something wasn't right in the church, she simply justified it and hung on to it...still does to this day.

BTW. The pope has made only one infallible statement which wouldn't interest you much.

Which Pope was that?

And can you tell me, how does addressing him as Holy Father does not contravene Jesus statement at Matt 23:9-12?

"9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among you must be your minister.12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

Wharton

And there were no "flip flops"...just clarifications as we expected. Read Proverbs 4:18 and you might understand why we made adjustments in our thinking as time went on....and why we have a watchtower as our symbol.

I didn't get it from a garbage dump, I got it from your charter of incorporation which stated you were incorporated to worship Jehovah and to WORSHIP Jesus. Now you don't worship Jesus. That's a flip flop. The one thing Christianity demands is a monopoly on the truth, which you don't have. Heck, you old publications stated God lived in the Pleaides star system, how untruthful is that?

Here's someone else that has a watchtower as her symbol. Do you know which pagan goddess this is?

th

Wharton

Not clergy? Was he not a Cardinal before the puff of smoke?
He's no more clergy than the typical Jehovah's Witness. See, he's a Jesuit. He's an order priest not a Diocesan priest. He swears the vow of poverty. He doesn't get paid, just like a Jehovah's Witness minister. If he does get paid for something, it goes to the Jesuit order, not him. So either he's not clergy by your definition or you're clergy. You choose.

Wharton

9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among you must be your minister.12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted

I always like this one that everyone quotes. Where there any Catholic, Orthodox or Coptic priests in the crowd that Jesus was speaking to? Nope...so it must have a different meaning if none of those guys were there. Since they weren't there and people understood what Jesus meant, father must mean something else. I suggest you look up what a Jewish father was, then come back and we'll talk about it. BTW, Jesus was called a father. It's in scripture. Is Jesus telling a fib here? Ursurping the heavenly One's authority? So what's going on in that passage? I know. You tell me.

Last edited:

Kolibri

flip flop when used as verb
  1. To move back and forth between two conditions or circumstances, sometimes repeatedly.

2. To reverse a stand or position.

3. To execute a backward somersault or handspring.
3 is totally non-applicable.
2 is acceptable as understanding improves
1 is also known as 'wishy-washy.' this definition has nothing to do with Jehovah's people. We do not go on limping between two different opinions.

For there to be clergy there has to be laity. If all are ministers then there can be no clergy-laity split.
All baptized members of Jehovah's Witnesses feel that Jehovah has ordained them to preach and teach, following Christ's example.
No one is taught they can rely on someone else to do it for them.

Wharton

flip flop when used as verb
  1. To move back and forth between two conditions or circumstances, sometimes repeatedly.

2. To reverse a stand or position.

3. To execute a backward somersault or handspring.
3 is totally non-applicable.
2 is acceptable as understanding improves
1 is also known as 'wishy-washy.' this definition has nothing to do with Jehovah's people. We do not go on limping between two different opinions.

For there to be clergy there has to be laity. If all are ministers then there can be no clergy-laity split.
All baptized members of Jehovah's Witnesses feel that Jehovah has ordained them to preach and teach, following Christ's example.
No one is taught they can rely on someone else to do it for them.

Full Definition of FLIP-FLOP
: the sound or motion of something flapping loosely
a : a backward handspring
b : a sudden reversal (as of policy or strategy)
: a usually electronic device or a circuit (as in a computer) capable of assuming either of two stable states
: a rubber sandal loosely fastened to the foot by a thong

See 2b. Truth doesn't change ever.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

which statement was that?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
the church like a bride would be driven into a forest (and lost) to be replaced by the whore of babylon, which would torment and kill the followers of God. (revelations). That atrocities are done in the name of some God or some Church or Religion since the apostles were killed should not be surprising.
That doesn't sound like a very trustworthy God. He did a very poor job of guiding his flock.

God wills that his bride be driven into the forest and lost to be replaced by the whore of Babylon?!?

Doesn't just sound silly....sounds disgusting!

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Revelation is the teat from which we suck the knowledge of God. Jesus taught that we can tell true prophets from false prophets by their fruit - or in other words by the taste of the milk, to mix metaphors. God won't force good milk on anyone, but there is a price to pay. He expects us to act on the knowledge that we are given, to make it part of our lives. From the beginning mankind has balked at any attempt to diminish our carnal appetites. God teaches us self control, spirituality, righteousness. Satan teaches carnality, sensuality, devilishness. Each of us gets to choose which teat to suck from. We get to choose our parents, so to speak. Depending upon whose teat we choose, we will be become that parents' son.

The struggle between opposing views can be found in every man. Earth life is the second stage in that struggle. The first stage happened in a premortal world, a spirit world, where we had yet to experience physicality. From the very start, there were people who believed and followed God, as represented by Jesus or Jehovah, and others who believed Satan, and followed him. Those who followed Satan, didn't keep their first estate, and were cast out of heaven, losing their chance to receive physical bodies. The rest of us continued on to this second stage. This second stage is like a blind trial, where we must choose without really knowing the source. We choose what we love. What could be more fair? We taste the fruit and choose from which tree to nourish our souls.

The Jews rejected revelation when they made Rabbis equal in authority to a prophet. The Christians rejected revelation when they turned to committee rule and common vote. It is the nature of man, that when they get a little power, as they perceive it, that they don't want to share the glory. Even Moses suffered this great sin, for which he was prevented from entering the land of Palestine. People tend to be humble only as long as they are forced to be humble by circumstance. They tend to be teachable, only as long as they are forced to be teachable by circumstance. God is far better at allowing us our agency, than we are at giving God his. To give someone agency, to empower that person at the cost of one's own agency, is the greatest sign of respect. Satan would take it. God prefers that we give it willingly, or not at all.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Most people think there are two infallible teachings. The iffy one is the Immaculate Conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus. The definite one is the Assumption of Mary into heaven.
But I thought you were talking about an infallible statement from this Pope. Okay...so this one and the last one and the one before that never made any infallible statements?

Wharton

But I thought you were talking about an infallible statement from this Pope. Okay...so this one and the last one and the one before that never made any infallible statements?
One infallible statement. In the late 1800's. Nothing since then or before.