• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what's with Wisconsin?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Here are the Top 20 Heaviest Drinking cities in America, and the corresponding percentage of adults that drink excessively in them (see list below, as well as the URL link, from May 2016).

Right off, I see the top four are all in Wisconsin. Then Wisconsin appears again 8 more times.

So what's going on with Wisconsin? I mean, I do know Ted Cruz won the primary there over Trump by 13 points even though Trump set historical numbers across all 50 states.

Do they also drive while drunk in Wisconsin? Well, I checked with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and found Wisconsin is the only state in the nation where a first drunk driving offense is not a crime; rather it's just a traffic ticket. And they have drunks and drunk drivers.

I think it's the cheese. Cheese plus alcohol equals drunker drunks. Look at France. Anyone know what the hell is going on with Wisconsin?

Anyone here from Wisconsin or these cities?

I also see Corvallis, Oregon in there at number 20. Ever been to Corvallis?

Corvallis, where the German-American religious leader who called himself Joshua, founded a movement in Corvallis which became known locally as the "Holy Rollers". Corvallis, Oregon was ranked #48 on the 100 best places in the USA to live according to Fortune Small Business 2008. But it is full of drunks. So #48 "best places" but #20 on the drunk list. Hmmmm...

Appleton, WI – (26.8%)
Oshkosh-Neenah, WI – (26%)
Green Bay, WI – (25.6%)
Madison, WI – (25.5%)
Fargo, ND – (25.2%)
La Crosse – Onalaska, WI – (25.1%)
Fond du Lac, WI – (24.6%)
Ames, IA – (24.4%)
Eau Claire, WI – (24.3%)
Mankato-North Mankato, MN – (24.2%)
Wausau, WI – (24.1%)
Sheboygan, WI – (24%)
Missoula, MT – (23.8%)
Grand Forks, ND – (23.7%)
Racine, WI – (23.5%)
Janesville-Beloit, WI – (23.4%)
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI – (23.3%)
Lincoln, NE – (23.3%)
Iowa City, IA – (23.2%)
Corvallis, OR – (23.2%)

http://vinepair.com/booze-news/7-of-the-10-drunkest-cities-in-america-are-all-in-one-state/

Daemon Sophic

Fxfkm.jpg

'nuff said.

RRex

Premium Member
What else is there to do in Wisconsin besides drink?

We have a number of museums, unique geological features, a world class zoo, world class sport fishing and, up north, beautiful forests.

We aren't as dumb or provincial as Hollywood and the media like to make us out to be.

UW-Madison has cutting edge medical and veterinary schools. A lot of serious medical research comes out of that campus.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sometimes rephrasing the question sheds light on the answer. So let's try that here:

What else is there to do in Wisconsin besides drink?
Hunt, fish, eat cheese, sail, hike, camp, boink, snowboard, bike, & go to the Experimental Aircraft Association show in Osh Kosh.

Scott C.

Just one guy
We have a number of museums, unique geological features, a world class zoo, world class sport fishing and, up north, beautiful forests.

We aren't as dumb or provincial as Hollywood and the media like to make us out to be.

UW-Madison has cutting edge medical and veterinary schools. A lot of serious medical research comes out of that campus.

*EDITED*

I lived in Wisconsin for 13 years. I agree it's a great place and it really grew on me. Two of my kids graduated from high school there. But there is a drinking problem IMO. I thought perhaps I was overly concerned, since I'm a Mormon who doesn't drink at all. But many don't seem to see being a bit drunk on a regular basis as a problem. Several parents of my son's little league baseball team routinely would sneak alcohol into the games and drink as early as 8:30AM. It definitely impacted the way they treated the umpires! I liked the parents and wanted to be part of the "gang" but this really annoyed me. I hinted this to a couple of my best team friends, who didn't seem to get intoxicated at the games. None of them would express any concern that anything was objectionable.

Apparently there are some parents who care. I was at a high school baseball game one day and I laid down on the grass to watch the game somewhere off the third base line in right field. I turned to my back and dozed off. A couple of women walked by and were pointing at me and seemed all disgusted. I thought to myself, "Is it really disgusting to take a nap on the grass at a ball game?" I told a couple of friends and they explained the women must have thought I was drunk and passed out. It cracked me up. I never drink and never would have thought of this reason for their disgust. Then I thought to myself, this is Wisconsin and people do get drunk at games often, so I should not be surprised.

I used to listen to Mark Belling on the radio. He's a very outspoken hard nosed, tough on crime, conservative talk show host famous in southeastern Wisconsin. I remember him once making reference to drunk driving. Even he sounded soft on the crime! That truly speaks to the culture there.

But I loved Wisconsin and the people. UW Madison is a great school. But even the most intelligent and successful students seem to get blasted. I do think that beer is so entrenched in the culture that some of them can't see the problem, which does exist.

Last edited:

RRex

Premium Member
I lived in Wisconsin for 13 years. I agree it's a great place and it really grew on me. Two of my kids graduated from high school there. But there is a drinking problem IMO. I thought perhaps I was overly concerned, since I'm a Mormon who doesn't drink at all. But many don't seem to see being a bit drunk on a regular basis as a problem. Several parents of my son's little league baseball team routinely would sneak alcohol into the games and drink as early as 8:30AM. It definitely impacted the way they treated the umpires! I liked the parents and wanted to be part of the "gang" but this really annoyed me. I hinted this to a couple of my best team friends, who didn't seem to get intoxicated at the games. None of them would express any concern that anything was objectionable.

Apparently there are some parents who care. I was at a high school baseball game one day and I laid down on the grass to watch the game somewhere off the third base line in right field. I turned to my back and dozed off. A couple of women walked by and were pointing at me and seemed all disgusted. I thought to myself, "Is it really disgusting to take a nap on the grass at a ball game?" I told a couple of friends and they explained the women must have thought I was drunk and passed out. It cracked me up. I never drink and never would have thought of this reason for their disgust. Then I thought to myself, this is Wisconsin and people do get drunk at games often, so I should not be surprised.

I loved Wisconsin and the people. I do think though that beer is so entrenched in the culture that some of them can't see the problem, which does exist.

I've lived here all my life, five plus decades.

Alcohol, specifically beer, is a huge part of our culture. Our roots are deepest Germany where beer is consumed like water elsewhere.

I recognize there are problems. My own grandfather was a functioning alcoholic. There are taverns on every corner and two more mid-block, especially in South Milwaukee.

Beer is tradition here, as much as BBQ is down South and wine is in California, coffee in Seattle, delis in New York.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Yep, we enjoy our alcohol here in WI.

I'm not much of a drinker anymore (never really was), but pretty much all my friends are. Brewers are of course my favorite MLB team.

Been in lots of different places, some I consider the most beautiful spots on the planet. Still, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but WI.

I'm surprised Appleton/Neenah (#1 and #2 on the list) are consider as high on the excessive drinking list. Not so surprised that Milwaukee and Green Bay are on the list, I would think Milwaukee would be at the top.

A park I frequent has a German bier garden in it, and is routinely busy. A bit expensive for alcohol, but you can bring your own food, your own cup and kick back and listen to (live) music and enjoy life.

I will admit I'm routinely amazed there isn't more drunk driving sting operations, but kinda glad there isn't as well.

RRex

Premium Member
. . . I used to listen to Mark Belling on the radio. He's a very outspoken hard nosed, tough on crime, conservative talk show host famous in southeastern Wisconsin. I remember him once making reference to drunk driving. Even he sounded soft on the crime! That truly speaks to the culture there . . .

Belling is awesome, and funny. :thumbsup:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Milwaukee is famous for its beer, and as a nationwide customer service rep. Wisconsin has always impressed me with its intelligent people. I think Wisconsin and California have the smartest and most polite customers.

RRex

Premium Member
Milwaukee is famous for its beer, and as a nationwide customer service rep. Wisconsin has always impressed me with its intelligent people. I think Wisconsin and California have the smartest and most polite customers.

That's very nice of you to say. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The get that from Minnesotastanians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bah. Mud ducks.
Most people speed up to merge onto the freeway. In Minnesota they come to a dead stop at the bottom of the ramp, then honk at the thru traffic!
Geeze Louise....that's what my (now dead) mother-in-law would do.
I can picture her now......parked at the freeway entrance, barely able
to see over the dash of her green Chrysler, muttering in Chinese.
She lived near DC.
Anyway, I've driven a lot in MN, & found drivers there better than average.