• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what about hell?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Perhaps we can start at the beginning. With Lazarus. Pretty famous account for those who read the Bible. So how long was Lazarus dead?
That is just a story. There are many stories in the Bible and those things never literally happened.
Nobody come back from the dead after three days.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That is just a story. There are many stories in the Bible and those things never literally happened.
Nobody come back from the dead after three days.
ok, thanks for expressing yourself. You're not alone in that you don't believe the accounts in the Bible. But thank you for letting me know. OK, bye for now.

YoursTrue

No, that is not what Baha'u'llah teaches. I read about that in a book that was written by a Christian.
I suggest that you read it. I don't necessarily believe all the details in the book but I think he has the basics about heaven and hell correct.

Heaven and Hell
I don't need to read that especially since you don't believe that Jesus raised the dead. OK, have a good one.

InChrist

Free4ever
There will be a judgment. But eternal torture while conscious is not part of that judgment.
I don’t believe it will be eternal torture because torture involves pain inflicted upon someone by another. I have stated I do believe it will be eternal torment; self-inflicted torment that those who reject God will bring upon themselves and experience forever in their state of separation from the Creator and Source of love, goodness, joy, beauty, peace, etc.
If you don’t think there’s such a state of conscious eternal suffering then why do the scriptures say there will be and why did Jesus warn so adamantly of such a state and the need to avoid that terrible destiny?

YoursTrue

I don’t believe it will be eternal torture because torture involves pain inflicted upon someone by another. I have stated I do believe it will be eternal torment; self-inflicted torment that those who reject God will bring upon themselves and experience forever in their state of separation from the Creator and Source of love, goodness, joy, beauty, peace, etc.
If you don’t think there’s such a state of conscious eternal suffering then why do the scriptures say there will be and why did Jesus warn so adamantly of such a state and the need to avoid that terrible destiny?
First of all, didn't Jesus say it means everlasting life to know God and his son? Please read John 17:3. Thank you.

YoursTrue

So let me ask you another question about your beliefs. Do you believe the dead are alive? or conscious?

InChrist

Free4ever
First of all, didn't Jesus say it means everlasting life to know God and his son? Please read John 17:3. Thank you.
Yes, in John 17:3 Jesus said … that eternal/everlasting life is to know the only true God, and Jesus Christ.

Eternal life is a life with God forever; a relationship with one’s Creator enjoying His love, joy, beauty, goodness, creativity and so much more throughout eternity.

Spiritual death is the condition of being alienated or separated from God. This is the consistent message of the scriptures, not extinction or annihilation. The second death is an ultimate and eternal separation from God. The expression is found four times in the book of Revelation.
This condition is characterized as the second death because it follows physical death; it is designated as “death” because it is the final and terminal separation from the LORD (Matthew 7:23; 25:41; 2 Thessalonians 1:9). Try substituting the term “annihilation” for “death” in the Revelation passages and see what happens.
For example:
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second “annihilation”. Revelation 2:11
The very expression represents an absurdity. There is absolutely no biblical evidence that the eternal damnation the scriptures refer to will involve the extermination of either Satan, evil angels, or wicked humans
(Matthew 25:41,46; Rev. 14:9-11; 20:10).

YoursTrue

Yes, in John 17:3 Jesus said … that eternal/everlasting life is to know the only true God, and Jesus Christ.

Eternal life is a life with God forever; a relationship with one’s Creator enjoying His love, joy, beauty, goodness, creativity and so much more throughout eternity.

Spiritual death is the condition of being alienated or separated from God. This is the consistent message of the scriptures, not extinction or annihilation. The second death is an ultimate and eternal separation from God. The expression is found four times in the book of Revelation.
This condition is characterized as the second death because it follows physical death; it is designated as “death” because it is the final and terminal separation from the LORD (Matthew 7:23; 25:41; 2 Thessalonians 1:9). Try substituting the term “annihilation” for “death” in the Revelation passages and see what happens.
For example:
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second “annihilation”. Revelation 2:11
The very expression represents an absurdity. There is absolutely no biblical evidence that the eternal damnation the scriptures refer to will involve the extermination of either Satan, evil angels, or wicked humans
(Matthew 25:41,46; Rev. 14:9-11; 20:10).
There certainly is.

YoursTrue

Paul did not consider physical death to equate spiritual death…

We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:9
It all goes back to Adam and Eve. They died.

YoursTrue

My perspective is that after physical death they are spiritually alive and conscious.
OK, thank you for relating that. But let's go back to the first man and woman. God did not tell them they would live forever somewhere if they sinned. He did not tell them they would go to a place where they would be alive somehow after their physical deaths.

InChrist

Free4ever
OK, thank you for relating that. But let's go back to the first man and woman. God did not tell them they would live forever somewhere if they sinned. He did not tell them they would go to a place where they would be alive somehow after their physical deaths.
I don’t think you actually know everything God may have told Adam and Eve about what happens after physical death.
He did tell them they would die if they ate the forbidden fruit. When they did sin and eat the fruit death entered the world…but Adam and Eve did not immediately die, did they? Nevertheless, the scriptures do very clearly show that their relationship with God was broken and they became separated from God at that point.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Recent discussions make me wonder what various persons believe about hell (or hellfire). Do you think a loving person would literally torture anyone forever as some would believe about hell (or hellfire)? (also for @Trailblazer )

I believe Hell is a prison for those who do not wish to be good. I believe it is only fire and nothing else materially but the spirit can conjure up other things if it isn't distracted by the fire. I believe there is a temporal cycle and an eternal cycle. I believe it is possible for spirits to be released into the temporal cycle when it starts again.

Muffled

Jesus in me
How about a short time after death? What does your religion teach you about that?

I believe that God will judge the person. Some people assume that will mean Heaven or Hell but assumptions are rarely correct. I believe the law of reciprocity may be used ie the person gets a new life but gets what he gave in the old life.