• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snickers offering 1 million free candy bars if date of Halloween is changed

Should the date for Halloween be changed?

• No

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Yes, change it to the last Saturday in October

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, change it to some other date

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Halloween should be celebrated whenever people want to celebrate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halloween is dumb

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Snickers pledges to give away 1 million candy bars if the date of Halloween is changed

If the day of the week Halloween falls on each year has never really mattered to you before, it might this year — especially if you really, really like free candy and can't go trick-or-treating.

A petition to change the date of Halloween has picked up over 100,000 signatures. This week, it also earned the support of some of the country's most popular candy brands, including Snickers, Skittles and Starbursts.

In 2018, The Halloween & Costume Association started a Change.org petition asking the federal government to move Halloween to the last Saturday in October. The reason? Holding the holiday on a weekend would make for a "Safer, Long, Stress-Free celebration!"

This year, October 31 falls on a Thursday.

Well, I never actually thought about it before, but I don't think a million free Snickers bars is enough incentive. But free M&Ms might be different.

Should they change the date of Halloween?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I vote for the 1st Saturday in October.
It's getting rather cold (with a greater likelihood of wet snow) at the end of the month.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Might as well change it to a Saturday. Let the kids and adults be able to enjoy it more.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can't change any dates that are mentioned in Charlie Brown cartoons, so it can't be done. Give it a new name like 'Halloween II' or modify Black Friday to come early. Call the new day Black Friday: Halloween Edition.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Snickers pledges to give away 1 million candy bars if the date of Halloween is changed

Well, I never actually thought about it before, but I don't think a million free Snickers bars is enough incentive. But free M&Ms might be different.

That's discrimination against people with peanut allergies!! Or a well-thought-out strategy by Snickers to minimize cost.

As far as changing the date of Halloween, I suppose it would be prudent to look for the scariest day of the year which is the Darkest Day of the year in the middle of a raging snowstorm. I'm talking Stephen King snow storm here.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You can change "Trick or Treat" day.
But nobody can change Halloween because it's the eve of All Hallows(Saints) Day.

Says the curmudgeonly old conservative Catholic from hell.

Tom

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
What we call Halloween has a long history well prior to today's candy and costumes. It's the celebration between autumn equinox and winter solstice. Traditionally it was the celebration of the harvest gathered and entering into the winter.
No, it shouldn't be changed.
Well, if they were offering a million Snickers ice cream bars.... :p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's discrimination against people with peanut allergies!! Or a well-thought-out strategy by Snickers to minimize cost.

As far as changing the date of Halloween, I suppose it would be prudent to look for the scariest day of the year which is the Darkest Day of the year in the middle of a raging snowstorm. I'm talking Stephen King snow storm here.
How about Almond Snickers:

209-02448-snickers-almond-bar.jpg

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
When we were kids, Halloween was more than just a one-day deal. sort of like Christmas: the decorations would go up a cpl of weeks before, the TV and radio would be playing horror themed movies and songs, we would spend days or weeks deciding on a costume and then putting it together.

For us as kids Halloween was more of a season than single day. I would imagine it's still the same now, and if it is the actual day it falls on wouldn't matter that much.

Wonder if the weekends would be more dangerous for the kids though, considering there would be more traffic and more drunk drivers on a Saturday. Probably less people at home too so the haul might not be as good.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another reason to hate corporations who treat an ancient holiday with long established tradition as nothing more than a money making scam. Samhain will always be on the 31st, no matter what some bunghole crappy candy company says.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No, they shouldn't change it. I already think "Beggars' Night" is stupid. I think holidays should be celebrated on the day they fall. They wouldn't change any other holiday. Corporations should butt out. I don't appreciate them hijacking an important holy day in several religions.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Would be interesting to see snickers Halloween candy sales for years where Halloween falls on weekdays vs. Fridays/Saturdays. My guess is snickers will come out on top if it is changed.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I agree with Rev's idea. In addition to avoiding the possibility of below freezing or icy weather conditions for above 40th parallel north trick o treating, changing Halloween to the first Saturday in October offers more daylight for energy conservation as well as pedestrian safety.

HonestJoe

You’re all being conned by a carefully manufactured marketing campaign by all the companies who stand to extract even more money out of you by promoting the entirely artificial celebrations around Halloween. It’s depressing how easily people are manipulated by this kind of thing.