• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snap!

As a Christian I have no problem in accepting evolution.
God wrote the "Creation/Evolution Program" then snapped his fingers to start it, THAT was the Big Bang ;)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Mick in England said:
God wrote the "Creation/Evolution Program" then snapped his fingers to start it, THAT was the Big Bang ;)
That's a good view to have.

This way, the natural history museams you visit won't have saddles on the triceratops.

Random

Mick in England said:

Cute, I pretty much agree. Since it is a programmed reality, though, it is necessarily also a Simulation...I feel a thread coming on.

BTW, you just started this thread to annoy the Atheists, didn't you? Go on, admit it...

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Halcyon said:
That's a good view to have.

This way, the natural history museams you visit won't have saddles on the triceratops.
What kind of museums do you visit? :areyoucra
Are you stuck in the Bible Belt or are you lost in Dinotopia? ;)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Real Sorceror said:
What kind of museums do you visit? :areyoucra
Are you stuck in the Bible Belt or are you lost in Dinotopia? ;)
I don't think England has a bible belt.

I saw a documentary where some guy visited a Creationist Museam somewhere in the US, i forget where. Scary stuff. People riding triceratops stuck in my mind.

Jayhawker said:
Did your God create fowl (the day) before He created land-based insects?
I'm think this guy subscribes to a Deist sort of creation Jay - set it all up and let it run itself kind of thing, rather than the Genesis step-by-step Creation. At least i hope he does.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Halcyon said:
I'm think this guy subscribes to a Deist sort of creation Jay - set it all up and let it run itself kind of thing, rather than the Genesis step-by-step Creation.
Would this not render our self-proclaimed Christian a believer in the Son of an impersonal God?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Jayhawker Soule said:
Would this not render our self-proclaimed Christian a believer in the Son of an impersonal God?
We'll have to see what he says.

Although i don't see why a non-literal belief in the biblical creation story would necessarily render God impersonal.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Halcyon said:
Although i don't see why a non-literal belief in the biblical creation story would necessarily render God impersonal.
It wouldn't. Suggesting "a Deist sort of creation Jay - set it all up and let it run itself kind of thing, rather than the Genesis step-by-step Creation" suggests a Diest God.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Halcyon said:
I don't think England has a bible belt.

I saw a documentary where some guy visited a Creationist Museam somewhere in the US, i forget where. Scary stuff. People riding triceratops stuck in my mind.
Yup, those Young-Earth Creationist scare me.

On a related note, I spent several hours last night debating with my Catholic friends. Using pure logic and reason, I was able to convince them that God created evolution, and that the world is much older than 6,000 years. Hooray! 3 points for Science! (1 point per friend) :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Real Sorceror said:
On a related note, I spent several hours last night debating with my Catholic friends. Using pure logic and reason, I was able to convince them that God created evolution, and that the world is much older than 6,000 years. Hooray! 3 points for Science! (1 point per friend) :D
  1. Why would one need to convince a Catholic that "God created evolution"?
  2. Why would convincing someone of such a thing constitute "3 points for Science"?
  3. What possible "pure logic and reason" could one offer to validate such an unprovable assertion?

nutshell

I am not a literalist, but I see no reason why god can't create fowl before bugs. What's the big deal? We can do more and more as we discover the mysteries of science.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
nutshell said:
I am not a literalist, but I see no reason why god can't create fowl before bugs. What's the big deal? We can do more and more as we discover the mysteries of science.
What you see is not particularly relevant, nor, perhaps, even interesting. At issue is a clear conflict between the scientific and the biblical narrative. Someone who envisions fowl preceeding insects may accept evolution, but s/he certainly does not understand evolution.

nutshell

Jayhawker Soule said:
What you see is not particularly relevant, nor, perhaps, even interesting. At issue is a clear conflict between the scientific and the biblical narrative. Someone who envisions fowl preceeding insects may accept evolution, but s/he certainly does not understand evolution.

And there is nothing particularly interesting about your opinion. In fact, you've demonstrated your ignorance of the varying interpretations of the Bible. The biblical narrative may be interpreted many different ways - there is no absolute interpretation. You describe a "clear conflict between the scientific and the biblical narrative," however, that conflict is based on your interpretation of the biblical narrative. Other interpretations do not have this conflict.

Only blinkered hardcore fundie christians take the Bible (and the Creation story) literally..
Much of the Bible's not really supposed be taken absolutely literally,as its a mix of metaphor,analogy,parables and eyewitness accounts all bundled in one package,and we have to sift it and compare and juggle things like a jigsaw to try to see a pattern or BIG PICTURE as best we can.
You know those "magic pictures" that look like jumbled wallpaper patterns that are supposed to spring into glorious 3D if we stare at them long enough? Some people can see the 3D image straight away,while others need time ,whereas some can never see the pic no matter how long they stare at it.
I've heard that the trick is NOT TO STARE TOO HARD,but to relax your eyes,which is a neat analogy for trying to "see" Christianity!
Likewise DON'T try to study and analyse every word and verse in the Bible,but try to take a more relaxed,DISTANCED overall view with child-like eyes.
YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE IF YOU VIEW IT THROUGH WORLDLY EYES!
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children.." (Matt 11:25)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
nutshell said:
And there is nothing particularly interesting about your opinion. In fact, you've demonstrated your ignorance of the varying interpretations of the Bible.
Really? Where? Or was the comment intended as nothing other than petty and baseless ad hominem?
nutshell said:
You describe a "clear conflict between the scientific and the biblical narrative," however, that conflict is based on your interpretation of the biblical narrative. Other interpretations do not have this conflict.
Then you should have no difficulty showing that my interpretation is nonstandard. Nor should you have difficulty referencing the congruent interpretation(s).

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Jayhawker Soule said:
It wouldn't. Suggesting "a Deist sort of creation Jay - set it all up and let it run itself kind of thing, rather than the Genesis step-by-step Creation" suggests a Diest God.
I disagree.
Notice i said "a Deist sort of creation", by which i meant the form of creation that Deist's believe, obviously.
I don't think that accepting the Deist creation over the literal creation means we also must accept the entire Deist belief structure. We can apply the Deist creation to the Christian God, and take the beginning of Genesis for what it may well be - an early attempt at understanding nature.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Jayhawker Soule said:
  1. Why would one need to convince a Catholic that "God created evolution"?
  2. Why would convincing someone of such a thing constitute "3 points for Science"?
  3. What possible "pure logic and reason" could one offer to validate such an unprovable assertion?
1. Becuase they where taking the Bible literally and believing everything was created in six days. Also, since I'm not an athiest, I believe God created evolution. Is this a problem?
2. Becuase I was able to convince them that the world is not 6,000 years old, among other things. I got them to look critically at Biblical teachings.
3. Is there a problem with people believing in evolution? Or do you have a problem with people believing in God?

waacman

Restoration of everything
Mick in England said:

Being a literalist, I have trouble accepting evolution particularly in making it mesh with the Biblical story and how things got started. I'm interested in how you would intrepret the Bible as to the Creation story and how it would relate to us today? What kind interpretation do you hold to of the Biblical narrative?