1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snap!

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by Mick in England, Sep 2, 2006.

1. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283

can we settle this once and for all : what, if anything, in the bible suggests its writers did not intend for it to be taken 'absolutely literally'?

EDIT : ...except for the fact that many of its accounts and teachings doesn't match our current worldview?

2. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Mueller Report?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,378
    Um, interesting analogy. I really hate to be the one to point this out, but those 3D pictures are illusions.

I am just saying that analogies can be dangerous things. Never turn your back on an analogy, they always come back to bite you in the butt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. waacman

waacman Restoration of everything

Ratings:
    +10
    but the pictures that represent them are really there, the perception of those pictures is just changed

4. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Mueller Report?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,378
    Any reasonably intelligent person when reading a book (any book) can come to reasonable conclusions about the intent of the author.

If I were to hand you a copy of Aesops fables, what would suggest to you that the author did not intend it to be taken literally (other than the title of course)?

Well you might suggest that in your experience rabbits rarely make boastful claims when talking to turtles. In fact rabbits don’t tend to have conversations with turtles on any topic. And they have never been known to organize inter-species athletic events.

Some people might decide that the author did mean all this to be interpreted literally, and they might then decide to believe on faith that such a race did actually take place. Others might come to the conclusion that science tells us that rabbits do not talk, so therefore the story is absolute rubbish. I think that it is more reasonable to conclude that the story was never intended to be taken literally.

Just like I do not believe that the story about a talking rabbits and turtle having a footrace was intended to be a scientific depiction of animal behaviour, I do not think that a story about snake telling people about magical fruit was intended to be taken literally either.

Others will disagree, and I could be wrong. But given the nature of this story and other stories in the Bible I think it is reasonable to conclude that some of them were never intended to be taken absolutely literally.

5. nutshell

nutshell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672
    My comments were no more or less ad hominem than your own.

You stated the claim. The burden is on you.

6. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283
    i don't know, 200 years ago 'common folk' in scandinavia believed in trolls, wights, witches, giants, nix and god knows what. they believed satan would come around the house and steal eggs. they not only believed this, they also saw these creatures. they were as real as, say, a wolf is to me.

my point is, i think these people would have no problem accepting a story about a talking snake, in fact i don't think any of them, if they read the bible, read it as allegory and metaphor. so i don't think the fantastical nature of the stories themselves is enough to suggest that their authors did not intend for a literal interpretation, since people historically have believed all kinds of fantasy.

7. Mick in England

Ratings:
    +2

God wants real, thinking people, not mindless robots who slavishly take every word in the Bible literally ;)

8. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283
    and where does the bible say this?

9. Real Sorceror

Real Sorceror Pirate Hunter

Ratings:
    +51
    I gotta agree with il divino here. America has a huge Christian population and studies show that around 50% of the country does not accept evolution. Coincidence? Nope.

10. Mick in England

Ratings:
    +2

If people want to literally follow the Bible, can we expect to see them going out to kill witches and stone adulteresses etc?
    Or does God want us to follow the enlightened teachings of Jesus instead?

11. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283