• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking Gun, Oh Atheists?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If rape is always wrong, how can this be? Wouldn't that be a moral absolute?
Don't ask me to explain why, but most of the theistic philosophers I trust distinguish between objective moral truths and moral absolutes. So you may want to investigate them, I simply stopped using the word absolute just in case the person I was debating knew the difference (so far none have).

1robin

Christian/Baptist
@1robin, have you ever considered that maybe faithful Christians could be classed into 2 groups, both of which would have God's approval?

If you would, please read Matthew 25: 33-46.

Jesus actually mentions 3 groups of individuals, one of whom is disobedient (although calling Jesus "Lord") and lost God's favor, but the other 2 have it.

Hint, I know you see the sheep and the goats, but there's a third.
If you'd like to continue this privately, that would be fine.
I can't really see whether people have been born again or not (to any certainty) so I try to not judge them in that way. I however see two states of those in reference to Christ because that is the way the bible lays out terms. Righteous and unrighteous, saved and lost, wheats and tares, spiritually alive and spiritually dead, in Christ and not in Christ, and yes sheep and goats, etc... ad infintum. Notice that some of those things look similar but are said to be anything but before God. I will leave it up to you. If you want to continue privately, want to switch topics, or want to hold up here for now its fine with me. Just let me know which.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I can't really see whether people have been born again or not (to any certainty) so I try to not judge them in that way. I however see two states of those in reference to Christ because that is the way the bible lays out terms. Righteous and unrighteous, saved and lost, wheats and tares, spiritually alive and spiritually dead, in Christ and not in Christ, and yes sheep and goats, etc... ad infintum. Notice that some of those things look similar but are said to be anything but before God. I will leave it up to you. If you want to continue privately, want to switch topics, or want to hold up here for now its fine with me. Just let me know which.
You're real easy to talk with!

I'll get to furthering this later. But I'll give you this: Jesus said it was important how everyone -- sheep included -- treated his "brothers"!

Notice, the sheep aren't his brothers, but 'do good things to or for his brothers'!

It ties in with John 10:16 (and other passages.)
More later. Take care, my cousin!

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You're real easy to talk with!

I'll get to furthering this later. But I'll give you this: Jesus said it was important how everyone -- sheep included -- treated his "brothers"!

Notice, the sheep aren't his brothers, but 'do good things to or for his brothers'!

It ties in with John 10:16 (and other passages.)
More later. Take care, my cousin!
Remember that I said that our actions were very important, just not what determines our salvation. Everything else is at stake, but not what Christ did for us. For example if I went and got drunk tonight I may lose my life if I drive home that way, but I won't loose my soul. I need to look into your clarification above, I have never heard it before. Looks interesting.

Sounds good HC, I will await your next post.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
What an utter parcel of bitter gutted ignorant nonsense. You couldn't hit your butt with a hand full of sand. You truly have no idea of what you are trying to talk about. Go back to spray painting bathroom walls
... says he who appears utterly ignorant of church history, or any reality based information in regard to the history of religions and their place in temporal power structures..

why do you assume i am bitter? about what? you, though, clearly sound like an embittered grump who is afraid his little world might collapse should truth invade his mythological cave.

and in regard to your remark to QuestoningMind, why do you not prove your statement? prove I am wrong, before you start on your diatribe.

shmogie

... says he who appears utterly ignorant of church history, or any reality based information in regard to the history of religions and their place in temporal power structures..

why do you assume i am bitter? about what? you, though, clearly sound like an embittered grump who is afraid his little world might collapse should truth invade his mythological cave.

and in regard to your remark to QuestoningMind, why do you not prove your statement? prove I am wrong, before you start on your diatribe.
Quite frankly, I don't remember the issue here clearly, I have been involved in many many discussions here and elsewhere since this. What I do recall is that you seemed totally unreasonable and unable to grasp simple concepts, liking hyperbolic empty rhetoric instead. By the time I wrote this I was very tired of one who like a parrot, repeated over again unsupported opinion as fact. I'll look back at the thread

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
Quite frankly, I don't remember the issue here clearly, I have been involved in many many discussions here and elsewhere since this. What I do recall is that you seemed totally unreasonable and unable to grasp simple concepts, liking hyperbolic empty rhetoric instead. By the time I wrote this I was very tired of one who like a parrot, repeated over again unsupported opinion as fact. I'll look back at the thread

oh, you you're pulling the tired old man card. is that because you really have nothing factual, rational, or relevant to contribute? here is a synopsis, since you cannot go back to the origin of the quote which would have definitely cost you a minute of your created life. nice that you can insult someone ho responds to your rantings and not even know what you are ranting on about. oh, by the way, it's nice that you have russian family, as you mentioned, but that clearly means nothing as it concerns knowledge and/or understanding of russian history and the role of the orthodox church within that framework.
everytime you are called on your ignorance you get abusive and insulting, but you still cannot refute anything that was said because you simply do not have command of facts. so, read some non-fiction history once in a while to help with that problem.

shmogie

Yep, went back and read your post, no evidence, erroneous conclusions, bizarre statements. Loud mouthed ranting. Goodbye, no more pearls before swine, you aren't worthy of my time. Rant, rave, call all the names you want, I won't hear (read) them.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
Yep, went back and read your post, no evidence, erroneous conclusions, bizarre statements. Loud mouthed ranting. Goodbye, no more pearls before swine, you aren't worthy of my time. Rant, rave, call all the names you want, I won't hear (read) them.

• :hugehug:

Underhill

Wording the same thing differently will not make it any better. So far you have reworded the bible and reworded your position. You have yet to provide anything I have requested.

Show me exactly how screwed up the world is on some kind of actual scale, show me exactly why a good God and that world cannot coexist at the same time, and show me how you knew either one of the two.

You are simply being obtuse. I've provided facts, you simply ignore them. The fact that cancer exist being an obvious one. I am not talking about mans misbehavior, you could easily argue that is on us. But it isn't just about his creation. It's about his actions. Again, I have provided plenty of examples of the god of the old testament acting criminal by any modern definition.

I do not know how two tings could have a greater magnitude of difference concerning importance between the false belief that India would be better without the British (or even if it was actually true), and that death its self is conquerable. If you can't see it then I can't make it any simpler and will have to move on.

Have you ever seen a movie called the life of Brian? If so do you remember the what have the Romans ever done for us scene? Not comprehending the inability to do what you are demanding to be allowed to do (especially when it affects millions) was a pretty big flaw in Gandhi's entire position.

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I simply pointed out that Gandhi also had some good ideas. He did. You cannot blame him for everything that follows in India.

But I would point out that a well fed slave still might prefer the life of a hungry freed man.

You did not restrict your claims to natural evil or gratuitous evil but it would not have made your argument right regardless. For your argument to work you must show that an actual world could be created with less suffering and evil that would still actualize as much belief in God while still retaining freewill. The "problem of evil" isn't really supported by the consensus of even atheist philosophers any longer.

2 additional points.
1. Without God you still have the same amount of suffering without any of the hope he provides. Your world view means Hitler and Billy Graham's ultimate fates are identical.

Who is claiming otherwise? The problem is that the hope you speak of is almost always coupled with apathy. And who cares about their fates? Their fate is irrelivent in a discussion about the truth.

And your argument is that an all powerful god couldn't create a better world? Seriously?

2. In my understanding of the bible Hell is eventual non-existence and no innocent child winds up there regardless. God only judges the response to the revelation received and our ability to process it.

So good children and bad children all end up with the same ultimate fate? What a tragedy.

Are you ever going to actually post what is in the actual bible, instead of the false bible you made up? He gave Adam and Eve freewill. If they did not have the capacity to disobey (which is what the analogy of the tree of knowledge) then they did not have freewill, no freewill no actual love. Apparently you prefer to be an automaton created by a tyrant God. Adam and Eve's climactic act of freewill was to disobey God even though he merely gave them 1 thing they were told not to do, God's climactic act of freewill was to pay the entire price to redeem a race of morally insane beings. Yet you blame God for the acts of men and deny him his actual act of redemption. I don't like the God you made up either.

A 2 year old is no automaton. But we don't give them access to a sharp knife or gun. This whole notion that freewill obfuscates any responsibility on gods part is silly. He knew what the outcome was and allowed it to happen. What kind of loving person does that to people he cares about?

Nothing you have said was contained in God's revelation.

Then why are you so obviously misrepresenting the bible? So far you have failed to state any formal argument (I actually know what the formal argument is your trying to make, but I can't get you to actually state it), and interpreted the bible contradictorily from every mainstream commentator in the last 2000 years.

I'm not misrepresenting anything. I am simply taking what the bible says god did in the old testament and applying the same morality most humans hold as important.

When your "mere atheism" sells a copy for every 100 copies of "mere Christianity" has sold I might take you seriously.

Brilliant response. This is called an appeal to tradition. It must be true because so many people believe it. A fallacy in debate.

I believe I already stated that his description as contained in the same texts by which we come to know of Christ at all, so yes the bible is the authoritative work upon which Christ's nature is revealed.

Do you also believe that parents who have children knowing they would break the rules (given for their own benefit) and require correction are evil? If so then we ought to all build little robots without freewill and quit producing them. Or perhaps that is a sin against the God of social Darwinism.

Why do you insist on twisting my words? There is a difference between parents who know their kids will require correction and god creating rules knowing they will be broken and then making the punishment eternal banishment.

The moral equivalent would be something closer to a parent kicking a kid out of their house at the age of 3 for stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. And yes, I would hold the parents responsible in that case, as would most any sane person.

Have you ever read the book your condemning? In the OT we are only taught about Sheol which merely means the grave or realm of the dead, in the NT we are told about a future resurrection where people are either sent to live with God in eternal contentment or Hell for eternal annihilation. No where does it have what you describe.

I give up, you apparently can't be bothered to even feign sincerity at this point. I will leave you to it.

My point was raising people from the dead is one of those miracles with minor consequence. Want a miracle? Change living peoples lives on a grand scale.

Small miracles never impressed me. They are too small for one who claims to be one with the all powerful creator of the universe.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It is simple. Atheists are typically moral realists because they thus avoid "sin", "evil", "conscience" and . . . judgment.

I make the assumption you mean that atheists are typically NOT moral realists. I am not sure it is the case. I know many atheists who believe in objective morality. Maybe you are confusing them with naturalists, who are a strict subset of all atheists.

And what do you mean with "avoiding conscience"?

Suppose you lose your faith tomorrow. Do you think you will not have problems anymore with your conscience if you start killing and raping? Or do you currently restrain from all those things because of expected judgement from your celestial cop?

Well, if that is the case. Keep believing, by all means....

Ciao

- viole

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Regardless, by what objective criteria can you show that a God that exists with a planet as screwed up as this one is unworthy of respect?
Most parents I know would sacrifice almost nearly anything and everything for their child, and do everything they can to help them, and their love is unconditional and unshakeable. God just seems to have given up after Adam and Eve sinned, and decided there would be no more chances and that everyone in the future who was absolutely in no way involved will be punished as well.
That's like saying because your first born is a delinquent you are going to hold your children after the first to the same standards because of the wrongs of the first. You aren't even giving the second or third a chance to prove themselves any different.
And, seriously, if we are "god's children," what sort of sadistic parent would find anything acceptable about childhood cancer? How can it be possible for us to describe your god as loving, merciful, and benevolent when he allows children to suffer so and put their parents through the worst parental anguish possible, burying their own child?
And telling a father to kill his own son? Even if God never meant for Isaac to be killed, it's not a test to have a parent do such a thing but a very cruel and wicked demand, something only a real sadist and psychopath would even think of.

Oh great, now I'm tempted to answer them here, but you are not going to read it. You can send me a thread to go to, right, instead ofhijackin

Oh great, now I'm tempted to answer them here, but you are not going to read it. You can send me a thread to go to, right, instead of hijacking this far more important thread?

When someone says they will happily solve your imagined problem, that no one will answer your questions, with "okay, not what I want to talk about it, but I will, and gladly, on a new thread," what is the best possible response to make, and does it match yours above?

Garbage responses like "be honest for once in your life" convince me only that skeptics are mean, Christians are nice, and my worldview is correct.

I understand....they are just too are for a so-called "Christian" to answer honestly.

I've seen it oh so often.....the fear of the truth scares them so much, they can't accept the answers they afford. You are no different, but I was hoping you would be. Evidently, you would rather believe men over Jesus.

Where does "God" specifically states whom is inspired and whom is not?
Where does "God" specifically states which texts are more holier than others?
Where does "God" specifically states which texts are scripture and which are not?

Just in case you forgotten what those questions are.

FYI - I've noted that you chose to not teach others about your religion. With you refusing to help others better understand, I will consider you "BilliardBalls" a dishonest person and having the inability to help others with facts and truth.

Fraud.

It sounds like you're saying it's okay for atheists to actually be self-righteous, even though they don't believe the word "righteous" is a thing.

I feel obliged to point out your double standard.

I'd also ask you how you so confidently say, "rape is wrong, of course".

To be "righteous" requires one to be truthful in all they do.

You are not showing yoruself to be this type of person, especially when you think so-called "Atheists" are "self-righteous".

Wrong.

You are evil, deceitful and quite unknowledgeable about Christianity.

I'll be sure to let others know you can't help them learn.

Thanks.

Hi. Are you the same NASL I posted with on another discussion board? Either way. welcome aboard here.
I am....*smiles*.....

"Christina" invited me over.....to help spread the good news about religion being a falsehood and leading many astray.

I've already seen how these so-called "Christians" need to be exposed for their deceit and lies against humanity, and another forum helps.

IANS - good to see you as well.....

Be honest, be kind, be generous to those who need the helping hand off the ground.

Be yourSelf.

:eek:)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I didn't say I couldn't BE selfish or occasionally do selfish things, I simply answered that I am not a selfish PERSON. I.E: I am not a person for whom acting selfish is a common, routine or defining characteristic. Most of the time, I do not act selfishly.

Okay, how often would I need to behave selfishly (self above others) before I ruined a utopian existence for others?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Nonsense. Atheists have a conscience and are capable of judgement. I may as well make the argument that theists are moral absolutists because they aren't capable of bearing the burden of determining something for themselves and would rather defer any responsibility for their moral decisions.

I don't know if that follows logically. I take responsibility for my moral decisions and also base them on the scriptures. I look to the scriptures to help define what morality is.

Atheists have consciences and can judge, yes. I'm questioning why atheists never seem to see the conflict between conscience and societal notions of good and evil and what those things should be in a mechanistic, evolved world.