• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart things your educators have said

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had a teacher ask me if I read poetry. I said no. He asked me "why?" I realized then I had no good or valid reasons, acknowledged it, and have been reading it since.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We had similar - "i before e except after c".

To which some wise one said... "Sir my name is Keith"
The proper way to get English Is and Es straight is to just memorize it. And then learn German, where it all makes sense and is thoroughly consistent, and have that decimate your English and confuse you once you realized you had it memorized but now can't keep them straight because it makes no sense at all.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
"Stupid ain't sexy."

Not true...

I realized at some point that while everyone talks about 'tall, dark, and handsome', I was totally looking for 'young, dumb, and clumsy'.

I married my husband because at our initial meeting(though it was over a phone), he made a complete fool of himself and he was too dumb to realize I was trying to deter him with my very rude jokes at his expense.

So, yeah... stupid can totally be sexy.

But I am a very strange woman.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I had a teacher in high school that I was rather fond of. He would say "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Its something I've quoted many times through the years.

He also told me once that I was his smartest pupil in all his years, and that I'd either grow up and excel in whatever career I chose, and be filthy rich. "Or, you'll see through it all, decide its a bunch of crap, and have nothing."

Sometimes I contemplate writing him and telling him he was absolutely right, in a sense. But, just because one has few material gains doesn't mean one has nothing. You can't put a monetary value on the things I hold dear, and my life is rich with them.

He was wrong on the hair and clothes, though. Totally not a stage. I sit here at 38, colored hair and 'well picked' clothes. I still stick out like a sore thumb.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
History teacher said, "Only fools testify against themselves.".

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
I had a teacher in high school that I was rather fond of. He would say "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Its something I've quoted many times through the years.

He also told me once that I was his smartest pupil in all his years, and that I'd either grow up and excel in whatever career I chose, and be filthy rich. "Or, you'll see through it all, decide its a bunch of crap, and have nothing."

Sometimes I contemplate writing him and telling him he was absolutely right, in a sense. But, just because one has few material gains doesn't mean one has nothing. You can't put a monetary value on the things I hold dear, and my life is rich with them.

He was wrong on the hair and clothes, though. Totally not a stage. I sit here at 38, colored hair and 'well picked' clothes. I still stick out like a sore thumb.

I already saved that quote in my list of favorites. I paraphrased it into: "If one always does what has only been done, one will only have what has always been had."

Your teacher would seem to have been quite wise. Perhaps the semantics of his prediction could be argued, but the wisdom he displayed by being aware of your potentiality for awareness seems apparent from what information you shared. :heart:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
As the title says, post smart things that your educators (teachers/professors) have said that have stuck with you.

I have one that one of my professors said last semester that has been in my head for some time now:
"You know it's a fair compromise if nobody is pleased."

I had a social psychology professor who said, "Humans are not rational animals. They are rationalizing animals."

That has long stuck with me as a profound insight.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I already saved that quote in my list of favorites. I paraphrased it into: "If one always does what has only been done, one will only have what has always been had."

Your teacher would seem to have been quite wise. Perhaps the semantics of his prediction could be argued, but the wisdom he displayed by being aware of your potentiality for awareness seems apparent from what information you shared. :heart:

Sadly, my teacher was a full of wise sayings, but was a very foolish man.

Though he had always behaved admirably and professionally in my time as his student, interacting with him once I wasn't his student nor legally a child proved him to be no better or mature than the boys I dated in high school.

That taught me you don't have to be smart to say wise things, nor decent to try to talk of goodness.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
That taught me you don't have to be smart to say wise things, nor decent to try to talk of goodness.
It's like that story about the immoral philosophy professor who would lecture about ethics and when a student asked why he didn't practice what he preached, he answered: "And to be a mathematician, does one need to be a triangle?"

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think people might have jumped and then went about with the usual interruptions and misbehaving.
In grammar school (K through 8) most of my teachers were drunk most of the time.
And looking back you can't really blame them.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think? :D

Its all in the tone!

I remember taking my middle son into a grocery store. He was pretty good the whole time, but has a habit with his dad(who usually is the one to take him to the store) that he throws cards and magazines while waiting in the checkout line. He started this mess with me, and I simply asked "are you in the store with Day(his name for dad) right now, or are you with Mom-Mom?" His eyes got big as he said "Mom-mom!" All the cards and magazines quickly found their way back into the rack. Nothing more needed to be done.

Though my biggest 'mom threat' is to bake a chocolate cake. The neighbors must think I'm crazy... he'll run out of the house and down the block(he does that to instigate), and I'll just stick my head out the door and yell "Do you want me to bake a chocolate cake? I'll get the cocoa powder!" He'll scream "nooooooo" all the way back, trying to get to me before I get out my ingredients.

He can't have chocolate. It seems to interact poorly with his medication. We usually bake other flavors because of this. But those who don't realize this must think we're all batty(and they might be right).

In grammar school (K through 8) most of my teachers were drunk most of the time.
And looking back you can't really blame them.

So instead of an apple, did they kids bring in airplane bottles for nice teachers? :confused:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Its all in the tone!

I remember taking my middle son into a grocery store. He was pretty good the whole time, but has a habit with his dad(who usually is the one to take him to the store) that he throws cards and magazines while waiting in the checkout line. He started this mess with me, and I simply asked "are you in the store with Day(his name for dad) right now, or are you with Mom-Mom?" His eyes got big as he said "Mom-mom!" All the cards and magazines quickly found their way back into the rack. Nothing more needed to be done.

Though my biggest 'mom threat' is to bake a chocolate cake. The neighbors must think I'm crazy... he'll run out of the house and down the block(he does that to instigate), and I'll just stick my head out the door and yell "Do you want me to bake a chocolate cake? I'll get the cocoa powder!" He'll scream "nooooooo" all the way back, trying to get to me before I get out my ingredients.

He can't have chocolate. It seems to interact poorly with his medication. We usually bake other flavors because of this. But those who don't realize this must think we're all batty(and they might be right).

So instead of an apple, did they kids bring in airplane bottles for nice teachers? :confused:
No, we usually stole those from their desk drawer when they left the room. :D

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As the title says, post smart things that your educators (teachers/professors) have said that have stuck with you.

I have one that one of my professors said last semester that has been in my head for some time now:
"You know it's a fair compromise if nobody is pleased."
I remember a problem that was set by a popular physics teacher. It started with ...
A baby hippopotamus jumps into a swimming pool on a hot summer day. ...
It ended with...
...assume the baby hippopotamus to be a perfect cylinder of radius 2 m and length 10m .

Jedster

I remember a problem that was set by a popular physics teacher. It started with ...
A baby hippopotamus jumps into a swimming pool on a hot summer day. ...
It ended with...
...assume the baby hippopotamus to be a perfect cylinder of radius 2 m and length 10m .

In my high school days we had a physics teacher and every lesson we would make him give us the definition of friction. He never understood why we couldn't remember. This is how defined

fric·tion
[ˈfrɪkʃ(ə)n]
NOUN
  1. the resistance that one surface or object encounters when moving over another:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
In my high school days we had a physics teacher and every lesson we would make him give us the definition of friction. He never understood why we couldn't remember. This is how defined

fric·tion
[ˈfrɪkʃ(ə)n]
NOUN
  1. the resistance that one surface or object encounters when moving over another:
Metaphorically, you guys resisted the definition when you encountered it...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

fric·tion
[ˈfrɪkʃ(ə)n]
NOUN
I remember two things from my physics teacher (whom I didn't like because I never understood his explanations, leading me to ditch physics after a few months):
1. He called newtons nevtons (nevtonim in Hebrew) for some reason.
2. People who asked "can I [fill in request] " were refused; you had to ask "can I try to [fill in request]". Kind of like the can I/may I difference in English.