• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart things your educators have said

Erebus

A history teacher taught me that a photograph doesn't necessarily tell the truth. That came as a surprise when I was in school as it seemed intuitive that photographic evidence should be reliable.

I also had a maths teacher who introduced her lesson on surds with, "You'll probably never actually need to know this."

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Semirelated but not quite... I had a teacher when I was in high school ask for my help to complete their homework(they apparently were going to their bachelors degree.). They interviewed me on autism and on being a disabled student and asked questions on what ways help me when teaching me as an autistic person. This stuck with me and seemed smart that a teacher would ask their students on how best to teach them and pay attention to their students views on things related to learning in order to teach them. It also stuck with me as I didnt expect the teacher to have homework.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As the title says, post smart things that your educators (teachers/professors) have said that have stuck with you.

I have one that one of my professors said last semester that has been in my head for some time now:
"You know it's a fair compromise if nobody is pleased."

I remember in a high school math class, somehow the class discussion shifted and digressed to politics. I don't recall the details, but there was a point made about public policies and laws which, on their face, didn't make any sense to logical, rational young minds.

The teacher said, "They don't want to make sense. They want to make money!"

Words of wisdom.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One I remember....
Don't knock your drafting tools off your table.
You don't see adults doing that.
So don't look like a clumsy kid.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I took history as a first year option, first class the tutor said "my PhD is in comics, if you don't like it the door is there."

No one left.

He was a fantastic tutor, i think if i wasn't so keen on art I'd have gone for history as a major because of him.

PureX

Veteran Member
"It's not about what she looks like. I can see that for myself. It's about what she IS ... to you." - from a professor in a figure drawing class.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Write down your ten best ideas, then throw them away and write down ten more. Keep doing this until you run out of ideas, or you finally realize that you're just wasting your time.

Then DO something!" - from a beloved old sculpture professor.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We had similar - "i before e except after c".

To which some wise one said... "Sir my name is Keith"

I remember that rule:

I-before-E-except-after.jpg