• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small question (Hindus)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was reading this in The (Buddhas') Dharma and had a thought/comparison. Its rudimentary but, still....

Do Hindus pray?

In The Dharma, it mentions prayer and wishes as such:

"It's not fitting for the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness to pray for it or to delight in doing so. Instead, the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness should follow the path of practice leading to happiness. In so doing, he will attain happiness, either human or divine." Ittha Sutta: What is Welcome

Many people pray to Buddha for his blessings; but, more so his enlightenment than him as an person/object of worship. The emphasis on prayer is replaced with practice (above).

Does Hindus Prayer mean Practice (lifestyle rather than isolated religious rituals: eating a meal vs going to the temple)?

The prayer I am familiar with isnt practice but conversation with god. Not in a sense of just asking for blessings but in the denomi I know, its a pure conversation and interaction with god. So, prayer may mean action in a broad extent but the emphasis is placed on abstract belief and feeling as a foundation rather than practice.

How do Hindus view it (as in what are your varied views on the meaning of prayer if there is a concept of it in your point of view)?

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How do Hindus view it (as in what are your varied views on the meaning of prayer if there is a concept of it in your point of view)?
Hinduism is diverse and prayer is a part of Hinduism that many Hindus practice. Usually the prayers are addressed to the deity they feel most attached to. Prayer can be for worldly boons but the more advanced type of prayer is for increasing their spiritual state.

But not all Hindus pray. There are many paths to the same goal in Hinduism.

GoodbyeDave

Prayer can be for worldly boons but the more advanced type of prayer is for increasing their spiritual state.
That "advanced" sounds a bit holier-than-thou to me! Brede Kristensen put it well when he said
Prayer for "daily bread" is never antiquated … it might be maintained that it is precisely the simple prayer for material goods which shows most clearly the superiority of spirit over matter.

George-ananda

Premium Member
That "advanced" sounds a bit holier-than-thou to me! Brede Kristensen put it well when he said
Prayer for "daily bread" is never antiquated … it might be maintained that it is precisely the simple prayer for material goods which shows most clearly the superiority of spirit over matter.

I am not sure I understand this quote. How does the prayer for material goods show the superiority of spirit over matter?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hinduism is diverse and prayer is a part of Hinduism that many Hindus practice. Usually the prayers are addressed to the deity they feel most attached to. Prayer can be for worldly boons but the more advanced type of prayer is for increasing their spiritual state.

But not all Hindus pray. There are many paths to the same goal in Hinduism.

Thanks.

Is it more of a silent speaking prayer or more leaned towards ritual prayer. For example, a abrahamic prayer could just be lowering ones head, genuflecting, or laying flat on the ground for many people depending. While others dialogue under their breathe or have communion prayer.

Is it a somewhat combination of these things or unique onto itself?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do Hindus pray?

In short, yes.
In reality, it varies a ton by school, by sect, by soul, by how the devotee feels. There is no single answer for this. At a Hindu temple, all simultaneously, you might see someone getting a car blessed, praying for an accident free lifetime of the car, another praying for guidance, another chanting a universal standard Sanskrit prayer for world peace, another asking for a spouse, and yet another wanting money. So it's extremely individualised.

There are different types of prayers like communing, beseeching, praying for others, including ancestors. and more.

There is also a variety of methodology ... inner, outer, through flame, through mediums, etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is it more of a silent speaking prayer or more leaned towards ritual prayer. For example, a abrahamic prayer could just be lowering ones head, genuflecting, or laying flat on the ground for many people depending. While others dialogue under their breathe or have communion prayer.Is it a somewhat combination of these things or unique onto itself?
You might have heard the name of "Gayatri Mantra". It is the most venerated prayer in Hinduism, which I give below with meaning:
"Tat savituh vareniyam, Bhargo devasya dhī mahi, Dhiyo yonah prachodayāt"
(That adorable deity, I meditate on the deity's brilliance, may he make my intellect brilliant)

Nothing more than energizing one's intellect (to be able to know the truth) is requested. There are many prayers like that in Hinduism.

"Saha nāvavatu l Saha nau bhunaktu l Saha vīryam karavāvahai l Tejasvi nāv-adhītamastu l Mā vidvishāvahai l"
1. May we all be protected 2. May we all be nourished 3. May we work together with great energy 4. May our intellect be sharpened (may our study be effective) 5. Let there be no Animosity amongt us.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Premium Member
Thanks.

Is it more of a silent speaking prayer or more leaned towards ritual prayer. For example, a abrahamic prayer could just be lowering ones head, genuflecting, or laying flat on the ground for many people depending. While others dialogue under their breathe or have communion prayer.

Is it a somewhat combination of these things or unique onto itself?
It is all the above. Chanting is another form too.

GoodbyeDave

I am not sure I understand this quote. How does the prayer for material goods show the superiority of spirit over matter?
Because it affirms the belief that the gods are capable of controlling the material world. But since you adhere to the Advaita philosophy, it will obviously make no sense to you!

ajay0

Hindus in the Bhakti Yoga ( yoga of worship) mode pray or offer worship to God or gods.

Hindus in the Karma Yoga( yoga of action) mode perform duties and action without cravings or aversions behind it.

Hindus in the Jnana Yoga ( yoga of intellect )mode strive to realise the truth through philosophical inquiry and meditation.

Hindus in the Raja yoga (yoga of mysticism) mode strive to attain enlightenment through the control or manipulation of prana/ life force. Pranayama, Kriyas, focus on chakras and meditation comes up in this.

Hindus follow one or more or all of these paths as per their individual temperament and interests.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Because it affirms the belief that the gods are capable of controlling the material world. But since you adhere to the Advaita philosophy, it will obviously make no sense to you!
Actually advaita does not mean there can’t be relatively real bodies, ghosts, souls, gods, etc..

And I understand your point.

GoodbyeDave

Here's the first verse of a hymn to Shiva by Shankara (the great Advaita teacher) — I think anyone would take it as a prayer.
O lord of the universe, who has the moon for a crown, slayer of Kamadeva, wielder of the trident, immovable one who residers in Mount Kailash, lord of Parvati, god of gods, auspicious one, lord of creatures, destroyer of fear in the timid, protect me, forlorn in the wilderness of incarnation.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading this in The (Buddhas') Dharma and had a thought/comparison. Its rudimentary but, still....

Do Hindus pray?

In The Dharma, it mentions prayer and wishes as such:

"It's not fitting for the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness to pray for it or to delight in doing so. Instead, the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness should follow the path of practice leading to happiness. In so doing, he will attain happiness, either human or divine." Ittha Sutta: What is Welcome

Many people pray to Buddha for his blessings; but, more so his enlightenment than him as an person/object of worship. The emphasis on prayer is replaced with practice (above).

Does Hindus Prayer mean Practice (lifestyle rather than isolated religious rituals: eating a meal vs going to the temple)?

The prayer I am familiar with isnt practice but conversation with god. Not in a sense of just asking for blessings but in the denomi I know, its a pure conversation and interaction with god. So, prayer may mean action in a broad extent but the emphasis is placed on abstract belief and feeling as a foundation rather than practice.

All kinds of prayers are kosher in Hinduism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do Hindus pray?

I do. As @Vinayaka pointed out, prayer is different for different Hindus. Prayer for me is as he mentioned, using standard Sanskrit prayers, especially in my home puja; open, i.e. not requiring initiation mantras; and just talking to God/dess in whatever form I need to at the moment. At temple when making the rounds of the sanctums and shrines I say a few words to the deity I may need help from, or to thank. Sometimes I just stand there silently and take darshan (viewing). I might even get an answer I didn't think I asked for.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
All kinds of prayers are kosher in Hinduism.

But I don't think I'd ask for an obnoxious coworker to lose their job, or anything like that.

Side note: I have a soft spot for animals (I cry during ASPCA commercials) and pray to Shiva as Pashupati for them. As much as I'd like to see him smite and burn animal abusers to a crisp, I think that's adharmic, and won't pray for that. He might not take kindly to that.