• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small question (Hindus)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do. As @Vinayaka pointed out, prayer is different for different Hindus. Prayer for me is as he mentioned, using standard Sanskrit prayers, especially in my home puja; open, i.e. not requiring initiation mantras; and just talking to God/dess in whatever form I need to at the moment. At temple when making the rounds of the sanctums and shrines I say a few words to the deity I may need help from, or to thank. Sometimes I just stand there silently and take darshan (viewing). I might even get an answer I didn't think I asked for.

Thank you. The last part, when I went to the temple some people started at one part of the temple and went around each deity.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do. As @Vinayaka pointed out, prayer is different for different Hindus. Prayer for me is as he mentioned, using standard Sanskrit prayers, especially in my home puja; open, i.e. not requiring initiation mantras; and just talking to God/dess in whatever form I need to at the moment. At temple when making the rounds of the sanctums and shrines I say a few words to the deity I may need help from, or to thank. Sometimes I just stand there silently and take darshan (viewing). I might even get an answer I didn't think I asked for.

If truth be told, I do better in English. I recite stuff in Sanskrit, but I can't think in Sanskrit. So during the puja at temple, or after it at home, I pry mentally in English. As clearly as possible. In my sampradaya, we also send written prayers through a sanctified homa fire.

Also during penance, it can be a very concentrated focused 'arrangement' for a specific purpose. The pain of the penance elevates consciousness to another 'space' entirely.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If truth be told, I do better in English. I recite stuff in Sanskrit, but I can't think in Sanskrit. So during the puja at temple, or after it at home, I pry mentally in English. As clearly as possible. In my sampradaya, we also send written prayers through a sanctified homa fire.

Also during penance, it can be a very concentrated focused 'arrangement' for a specific purpose. The pain of the penance elevates consciousness to another 'space' entirely.

A former coworker from Gujarat said his wife's Sanskrit was so bad she gave up and does puja in Gujarati. I can't think in Sanskrit either though I'm beginning to see the meanings of the verses and sort of translate them. But there are still some I haven't got the faintest idea what they mean. When I found them I saw the English and said "ok yeah, this is good". Then I forget the translation. But I figured if I approved using it once, it must still be good. :D I've been working on trying to intone them as best I can. It gets easier as I memorize them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. The last part, when I went to the temple some people started at one part of the temple and went around each deity.

Yes, we do that. My temple is huge and has a "cast of thousands" of deities. If I remember correctly the temple I go to is patterned after the Tirumala Venkateswara (Vishnu) Temple in India. So It's pretty big... almost too big, but that's another story.

We go in, facing the presiding deity (Vishnu as Krishna) in the central sanctum, give obeisance, move clockwise around the temple, visiting each shrine or sanctum giving obeisance or praying to that deity. Some people just make a beeline for their chosen deities, but I feel creepy doing that, I go in order and visit them all, even if I don't pray to all of them. It's like working a room full of honored guests or dignitaries. Many people will make multiple circumambulations around a particular deity for whatever reason. So basically what you saw is pretty standard.

GoodbyeDave

A former coworker from Gujarat said his wife's Sanskrit was so bad she gave up and does puja in Gujarati.
Why do you think there's this resistance to using modern languages? Of course, it might be different in the south, where Tamil, say, has not changed as drastically as Hindi &c.

Of course, this is a common thing. Prayers in a Shinto shrine are in Ancient Japanese, Muslims are only supposed to pray in Arabic, and Russian churches use Medieval Bulgarian! I'm just off to celebrate the monthly festival of Asklepios, but I'll be singing the hymn in English.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why do you think there's this resistance to using modern languages?

Some languages aren't easily translated to, and still keeping the meaning. Sanskrit is considered the language of the Gods, and the sound itself. like in Beej mantras, have meaning. So besides tradition, there are reasons. There is also the cadence to it.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know if it's a resistance as much as it is tradition. It is the liturgical language. My native language is English but I use Sanskrit almost exclusively, if not totally exclusively in my home puja. I even say things like "hey mama deva!" (lit. "oh my God!") and "mata devasya!" (lit. "mother of God!") in real life. I have no idea if it's good Sanskrit, but it works for me. :D

And while the gods are beyond human language, there's the belief, which I do subscribe to, that Sanskrit has mystical properties. I honestly don't know what languages my Hindu coworkers use at home for puja. They speak Hindu, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu and probably a host of others. One did say she doesn't know Sanskrit. I didn't press her but she might have meant not conversationally knowing it. There are templates people follow for puja that are in Sanskrit, and/or learn from amma and auntie. It may seem like parroting but the sound is more about the energy than understanding the words (though that helps).

Craig Sedok

I was reading this in The (Buddhas') Dharma and had a thought/comparison. Its rudimentary but, still....

Do Hindus pray?

In The Dharma, it mentions prayer and wishes as such:

"It's not fitting for the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness to pray for it or to delight in doing so. Instead, the disciple of the noble ones who desires happiness should follow the path of practice leading to happiness. In so doing, he will attain happiness, either human or divine." Ittha Sutta: What is Welcome

Many people pray to Buddha for his blessings; but, more so his enlightenment than him as an person/object of worship. The emphasis on prayer is replaced with practice (above).

Does Hindus Prayer mean Practice (lifestyle rather than isolated religious rituals: eating a meal vs going to the temple)?

The prayer I am familiar with isnt practice but conversation with god. Not in a sense of just asking for blessings but in the denomi I know, its a pure conversation and interaction with god. So, prayer may mean action in a broad extent but the emphasis is placed on abstract belief and feeling as a foundation rather than practice.

How do Hindus view it (as in what are your varied views on the meaning of prayer if there is a concept of it in your point of view)?

When it comes to Hindu, which is a twisted fat less man with a loincloth only. The meaning of a prayer is just that. To see the world, unobligated, unfettered, and no answer other than the sunshine upon his forehead and the salty sweat flowing from brow to chin.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no resistance to modern languages. There are prayers and devotional songs in Hindi too and in other languages, very popular, more than any in Sanskrit. But then there are Sanskrit lovers too. So, it all depends on the person. The better educated may know a few verses in Sanskrit, most would not.
When it comes to Hindu, which is a twisted fat less man with a loincloth only. The meaning of a prayer is just that. To see the world, unobligated, unfettered, and no answer other than the sunshine upon his forehead and the salty sweat flowing from brow to chin.
Well, thanks for whatever you were trying to say. People, more often than not, pray for welfare of the family and for material success and gains.

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
To my understanding those with Vaedic initiation will do prayers for worldly or other personal matters and those with Tantric initiation will not do prayers.