• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sluts are no different than studs

Galateasdream

Here's some more proof:

In the entry bucket2, the OED, usually reticent about the origin of such phrases, mentioned what Murray considered might be the most plausible idea. I am writing this essay for two reasons. First, the OED suggested a certain etymology of kick the bucket as a possibility, while numerous books copied the suggestion without any warning signals, added bells and whistles to it, and presented the carefully worded hypothesis as fact. Second, next to the whole nine yards, this is the idiom about which I have been asked most often.

More on idioms: “kick the bucket” | OUPblog

Galateasdream

So, a Wikipedia entry, lexico's own statement, and the Oxford University Press dictionary blog entry for the relevant term ...

Guess nothing will prove it to you, will it? :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Errrr. Actually just did.
But I guess you're just going to deny it. Fair enough.

No, to prove me wrong you need to cite the OED entry that you have been claiming so much about but actually have no clue what you are talking about in this instance.

Fail-Stamp-Transparent_copy.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
So far a wiki entry and a blog

No OED entry. Why is that?

You obviously cannot provide proof for your claim so i am wasting no more time

Galateasdream

So now, as well as wiki, lexico itself, and the OEUP, I've now added the OED guide to its own entry ... Lol :)

I now feel you've lost all claim to integrity. You must realise I'm right on this ridiculous trivial issue ...

ChristineM

Premium Member
So now, as well as wiki, lexico itself, and the OEUP, I've now added the OED guide to its own entry ... Lol :)

You obviously cannot provide proof for your claim but rather think wikis and blogs somehow make you right.

Provide the OED entry that proves me wrong or i waste no more time on silly games

Galateasdream

You've already admitted you got your definition from lexico and not from the full OED ...and I've provided mutliple proofs that they are different ... This is getting very silly ...

Galateasdream

You obviously cannot provide proof for your claim but rather think wikis and blogs somehow make you right.

Provide the OED entry that proves me wrong or i waste no more time on silly games

Are you for real ... I've provided multiple proofs. Tell you what, I'll try and scan an entry when I'm back at work on Monday for you ...

The wiki quoted the OED, the blog was from the OED, and I've also provided the OEDs own video guide to its entries and the lexico online dictionary's own wording on how it differs from the OED ...

If you are just going to front this out regardless of evidence against you I might as well just say anything whatsoever, since you have zero integrity, honesty or credibility ...

ChristineM

Premium Member
Are you for real ... I've provided multiple proofs. Tell you what, I'll try and scan an entry when I'm back at work on Monday for you ...

You have not provided the OED definition, you have provided general comment, comments are not proof of an individual entry

Galateasdream

@ChristineM

The wiki quoted the OED, the blog was from the OED, and I've also provided the OEDs own video guide to its entries and the lexico online dictionary's own wording on how it differs from the OED ...

If you are just going to front this out regardless of evidence against you I might as well just say anything whatsoever, since you have zero integrity, honesty or credibility ...

ChristineM

Premium Member
@ChristineM

What is so difficult for you to understand?

None of those identified the phrase "kick the bucket"
Lexico did.

Galateasdream

What is so difficult for you to understand?

None of those identified the phrase "kick the bucket"
Lexico did.

Let's just be clear:
You claimed your lexico entry was the full OED definition.
I said it wasn't.
You argued with me.
I provided lots of evidence it was different.

Now,
Before waiting until I get to work Monday and access my library's edition of the full OED and scan it in, are you willing to bet your entire online forum reputation on the statement that what you posted was the full OED definition of 'kick the bucket'?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Let's just be clear:
You claimed your lexico entry was the full OED definition.
I said it wasn't.
You argued with me.
I provided lots of evidence it was different.

Now,
Before waiting until I get to work Monday and access my library's edition of the full OED and scan it in, are you willing to bet your entire online forum reputation on the statement that what you posted was the full OED definition of 'kick the bucket'?

Yes, lets be clear, you introduce the kicked the bucket straw man, you claimed it was not the full oed definition. I have been clear from the start that i used lexico.

You misrepresent my statement to drive forward your argument and in the end you could not follow your argument through. So instead tried to flood the argument with irrelevant wiki and blog posts

You proved nothing about the phrase you introduced

Galateasdream

@ChristineM

Stop lying. You said about your definition post, and I quote:

It is actually the full oed definition so what's it like to be wrong?

You said it was the 'full OED definition'.

Let me ask you again, are you willing to hang your entire online reputation on that claim, even the face of the counter-evidence I've provided, while waiting for me to scan in the entry on Monday?

ChristineM

Premium Member
@ChristineM

Stop lying. You said about your definition post, and I quote:

You said it was the 'full OED definition'.

Let me ask you again, are you willing to hang your entire online reputation on that claim, even the face of the counter-evidence I've provided, while waiting for me to scan in the entry on Monday?

First may i suggest you read the forum rules, that is the second time you have accused me of lying

Then i stated " Oh, and "kick the bucket" is defined in the oed"

Lexico is the full online OED

Whats an online reputation? You place a great deal on a forum, especially if you are willing to misuse company property just to massage your ego.

Again, you have not provided counter evidence, not of what you provided is relevant without evidence of the OED entry and i have already provided the oed lexico entry.

All this because definition upsets you. Very ocd

Galateasdream

Lexico is the full online OED

No it isn't by their own admission.

I see you're willing to play this out to the end, even when faced with evidence of your own deciet and incontrovertible evidence of your error.

Very sad.

No point bothering with such as you. I'll post Monday.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No it isn't by their own admission.

I see you're willing to play this out to the end, even when faced with evidence of your own deciet and incontrovertible evidence of your error.

Very sad.

No point bothering with such as you. I'll post Monday.

More personal attacks?i see you still haven't read the rules of this forum.

Very sad

You are so keen on wiki

Hosted under oxforddictionaries.com, Oxford Dictionaries Online was launched in 2010. ... In June 2019, the free-of-charge dictionaries of English and Spanish were moved to Lexico.com, a collaboration between OUP and Dictionary.com, though with the lexicographic content continuing to be written solely by OUP staff