• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleep

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The CDC recommends that you get 7 or more hours (unless you're a newborn, infant, toddler, school age kid, or teen, which I doubt you are) sleep per night.

Are you getting the recommended amount of sleep? More? Less?

If you are not, do you find this affects your daily life? If so, do you have any intention of correcting your sleep patterns? Why or why not?

1699089469805.png

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I average 6.5 hours sleep per night as indicated by my watch. I lie down sometime between 8pm and 8:30pm and awaken at 3:40am each day, however, I awaken several times per night due to arm numbness and tingling or bathroom breaks. I do fine in this amount of sleep.

Though it appears I have a 30 minutes sleep deficit, I meditate at least 1 hour each day over two 30 minute sessions. There are studies that show meditation can actually replace sleep.

I'm not convinced that meditation can replace sleep on a minute for minute basis, but I do think that a practiced meditator may not need as much sleep as a non-meditator.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
From being very young i was awake at 5:30 to 6:00. Though i was usually in bed by 20:30.

When i left home to go to uni the bedtimes jumped to 23:00/24:00 or later if i was doing an assignment or out having fun. But the wake up times remained the same.

And now I'm in bed by 22:00 but reading, playing puzzles on my phone and/or RFing until 23:30 to 00:30.

I stlll wake at 5:30, when i do occasionally oversleep the cats ensure I'm awake before 6:00 to feed them.

3eee0928f2d43d635a34b91fd0c94248_w200.gif

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
From being very young i was awake at 5:30 to 6:00. Though i was usually in bed by 20:30.

When i left home to go to uni the bedtimes jumped to 23:00/24:00 or later if i was doing an assignment or out having fun. But the wake up times remained the same.

And now I'm in bed by 22:00 but reading, playing puzzles on my phone and/or RFing until 23:30 to 00:30.

I stlll wake at 5:30, when i do occasionally oversleep the cats ensure I'm awake before 6:00 to feed them.

View attachment 84281
So it would appear by this that you get 5.5 to 6 hours on a typical night. Do you feel that's enough for you? Or do you feel you have a degree of sleep deprivation and that more sleep would be healthier for you and help you to function?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Clocked an impressive 13 a couple of days ago. That teddy bear fleece bedding is like a sedative!
That's two full nights for me. I doubt I could force anywhere near that amount of sleep in a single night if I tried. If I tried to stay in bed and sleep, I would just bounce between REM and being awake, which isn't all that productive where sleep is concerned.

ChristineM

Premium Member
So it would appear by this that you get 5.5 to 6 hours on a typical night. Do you feel that's enough for you? Or do you feel you have a degree of sleep deprivation and that more sleep would be healthier for you and help you to function?

To me it's natural and i'm happy with it. If i manage to get much more than that it seems my brain in working in fog and/or i have a low grade headache for the day

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's two full nights for me. I doubt I could force anywhere near that amount of sleep in a single night if I tried. If I tried to stay in bed and sleep, I would just bounce between REM and being awake, which isn't all that productive where sleep is concerned.
There's no force involved. :)
I reckon I'm morphing into a cat. :blush:

Weird thing... apparently everyone dreams every night, especially during REM sleep. However, I hardly ever remember any dreams - as in maybe once every few months.
(My wife can recount dreams every day, in quite some detail).

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no force involved. :)
I reckon I'm morphing into a cat. :blush:

Weird thing... apparently everyone dreams every night, especially during REM sleep. However, I hardly ever remember any dreams - as in maybe once every few months.
That means you're a sound sleeper. One typically only recalls a dream one awakens from directly, IOW going directly from REM to waking.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I don't remember my dreams at all. Except a recurring nightmare and i really wish i didn't remember that.

Bthoth

*banned*

View attachment 84281
The love of pets and children.

That made me smile,
thank you.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless something has gone wrong, I'm in bed for about 9 hours.

I don't sleep deeply, though. I tend to remember a lot of dreams, and tend to have a 'worry spike' around 6am, where I'll wake and worry about something(sometimes something very small, and I'll fall back asleep, others something major, and I'll be awake for awhile).

I find if I get less than 7, I don't function well. I forget what I'm doing and am more prone to emotional outbursts.

I have a few family members that get less than 7 and run fine. I had a roommate once that genuinely seemed to need 12, or she didn't function(she may have been on meds, if I remember right).

With one of the kids, I can tell how his day will go. If I have to get an excavator to get him out of bed(usually sometime after 10am), it'll be a good day. If he wakes naturally between 9-10am, it'll be so-so(better if he's sleepy, not so good if he's hyped). If he wakes up before that, might as well flush the day, because it'll all be ****.

David1967

Premium Member
The CDC recommends that you get 7 or more hours (unless you're a newborn, infant, toddler, school age kid, or teen, which I doubt you are) sleep per night.

Are you getting the recommended amount of sleep? More? Less?

If you are not, do you find this affects your daily life? If so, do you have any intention of correcting your sleep patterns? Why or why not?

View attachment 84280

Normally, I do get at least 7 hours a night. Unless I drink something with caffeine in it later in the day, which I try to avoid.