• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sitting down to pray and meditate at altar?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if I am supposed to be sitting on a low seat in front of my altar when I pray or do japa. I have been standing, but the altar table is just below waist level. I am wondering if that is disrespectful. I have a small four-legged step stool that can be used as a seat, even being able to cross my legs. What say ye?

magalaan

What problems do you foresee except falling of your chair? The wrath of the Gods? Why not buy a low table and sit on the floor, that is much more relaxed and you can spend more time. Besides sitting on the ground is better than sitting on legs. Legs were invited where floors were cold and drafty.

for inspiration

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I don't believe the Gods will strike me down :no: but I thought that the altar table being at crotch-level was a mite disrespectful. It's hard for me to sit on the floor because of a back injury, but I can sit on a low stool with my legs crossed at the ankles. I've seen some lovely altars that are very low to the floor, but my cat would have a field day.

magalaan

No, I don't believe the Gods will strike me down :no: but I thought that the altar table being at crotch-level was a mite disrespectful. It's hard for me to sit on the floor because of a back injury, but I can sit on a low stool with my legs crossed at the ankles. I've seen some lovely altars that are very low to the floor, but my cat would have a field day.
Whatever is comfortable should be fine. Puja is about Love, all else is secondary to that. Whatever distracts you in your worship, you will want to eliminate.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Great, thanks. :) Yes, that's what I think. Sometimes I forget that.

Wannabe Yogi

I wonder if I am supposed to be sitting on a low seat in front of my altar when I pray or do japa. I have been standing, but the altar table is just below waist level. I am wondering if that is disrespectful. I have a small four-legged step stool that can be used as a seat, even being able to cross my legs. What say ye?

It's all good. Still I know somebody with a bad back. They use a zen bench.

ZenBench: An Adjustable Meditation Bench for All Seasons

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although it is very traditional to sit cross-legged on the floor (some are able to do the full worship sadhana session in full lotus) if there is an injury, a chair of any kind is fine. Most temples, especially here in the west, have a few chairs for the elderly, handicapped,and injured.

chinu

chinu
Mind is the temple of god, in which your sitting should be on a low seat -- only this is important. Otherwise do this or that or anything, it's useless for the one who is sitting in reality -- within you. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's all good. Still I know somebody with a bad back. They use a zen bench.

ZenBench: An Adjustable Meditation Bench for All Seasons

I love it! :) Must look for. Oops, I see there is more info.

Although it is very traditional to sit cross-legged on the floor (some are able to do the full worship sadhana session in full lotus) if there is an injury, a chair of any kind is fine. Most temples, especially here in the west, have a few chairs for the elderly, handicapped,and injured.

My problem is also one of flexibility (or the lack thereof :rolleyes:). I'm working on that. I would love to be able to sit cross-legged.

Mind is the temple of god, in which your sitting should be on a low seat -- only this is important. Otherwise do this or that or anything, it's useless for the one who is sitting in reality -- within you. :)

True, true.

Thanks to all. :namaste

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Whatever is comfortable should be fine. Puja is about Love, all else is secondary to that. Whatever distracts you in your worship, you will want to eliminate.

jai jai ,

very nice advice :yes:

of corse , yes we should sit lower if we can but only if we can , and of course we should bow down infront of the deitys upon entering the room , but some with bad backs canot easily do this either , in this case one can touch the ground with the right hand then touch that hand to the forhead as a mark of respect ,

the most important thing is the state of mind , if we canot physicaly show humility then mentaly is just as good .

one important thing in a puja room or temple it is not respectfull to sit with ones feet pointing towards the deitys so to sit on a stool one simply tucks ones feet under or as you say crossed at the ankles .
nor should we sit with our backs to the deitys , all just simply marks of respect :)

namaskars :namaste ratikala

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a separate room for my altar, I wish I did. When I pass by I make a little bow of my head towards the deities. When I am actually doing prayers and offering light and incense, etc. I make the anjali mudra. At the end I raise my hands above my head and bow.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I used my low seat for my prayers and japa last night. It was actually quite nice, if you discount my foot falling asleep. :rolleyes: Until I get some flexibility I may need to either put up with it or get a soft pad for my feet and for the seat. I was able to concentrate much better than I usually do, which isn't much to speak of anyway. I need practice. The foam earplugs help, though I know that may be cheating. I no sooner mentioned the Zen Bench and my partner said "Ooh, I'll save up and get it for you for our anniversary (February)".

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't have a separate room for my altar,

Once upon a time in a small apartment, I built a curtain thingy, some simple stands, just a reminder of a boundary between sacred space, and mundane space ... I've always felt they were watching ... kinda like not hanging a picture of your parents right above your bed..

Wannabe Yogi

Well, I used my low seat for my prayers and japa last night. It was actually quite nice, if you discount my foot falling asleep. :rolleyes: Until I get some flexibility I may need to either put up with it or get a soft pad for my feet and for the seat. I was able to concentrate much better than I usually do, which isn't much to speak of anyway.

I do know a little about back problems. I don't have a major problem like a slipped disk or something like that. So I am not giving medical advice. I just have a little arthritis in my back and neck. I do the sun salutation every day to help my back be more flexible. And the Bhadrasana to open up my hips. So I can sit with comfort for longer period of time. I think I might start a thread on asana that are good for meditation.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Backs are weird. (I mean that everyone has what seems a different issue with them) Mine used to go out a lot. One time I was bedridden for longer than the three days on my job for when you needed a doctor's note. Sneezing, laughing, any movement at all. but for this particular body, custom orthotics did the trick.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've always felt they were watching ... kinda like not hanging a picture of your parents right above your bed..

Yes... yes... That's exactly how I feel! :yes: Especially because the house is not vegetarian and the altar is in a section of the dining room (which we rarely use anyway). I could put a Japanese-style screen in front of it and move it for prayers and worship.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do know a little about back problems. I don't have a major problem like a slipped disk or something like that. So I am not giving medical advice. I just have a little arthritis in my back and neck. I do the sun salutation every day to help my back be more flexible. And the Bhadrasana to open up my hips. So I can sit with comfort for longer period of time. I think I might start a thread on asana that are good for meditation.

Backs are weird. (I mean that everyone has what seems a different issue with them) Mine used to go out a lot. One time I was bedridden for longer than the three days on my job for when you needed a doctor's note. Sneezing, laughing, any movement at all. but for this particular body, custom orthotics did the trick.

A thread on asana would be a great idea, especially for those of us who are new to it and are somewhat compromised.

Back problems are the price we pay for walking upright. The human spine was meant to be a suspension bridge, not a tent pole.

I had 3 lumbar microdiscectomies in Dec. 2010. I was out of work on disability for 8 weeks because my commute is 30+ miles one way. Surgeon said no way in you-know-where was he going to release me. I stopped working out and got fat; now on Weight Watchers and back to the gym going easy.

I am extremely inflexible, which is something I am attempting to work on. I stretch after my workouts; don't stretch before, you can injure a "cold" muscle or tendon or ligament. Anyway, my hips, glutes and hams are very tight, and what I focus on most. I think sitting higher in a cross-legged position is a start to getting the ability to sit on the floor cross-legged.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes... yes... That's exactly how I feel! :yes: Especially because the house is not vegetarian and the altar is in a section of the dining room (which we rarely use anyway). I could put a Japanese-style screen in front of it and move it for prayers and worship.

room dividers, cheap, easy to use ... I did use some of those bamboo things ... just in a kid's room as she wanted them that way

ratikala

Istha gosthi

yes this is perfect it allows your deietys respectfull privacy .

many hindu families use this system where the shrine has to occupy a common space :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
room dividers, cheap, easy to use ... I did use some of those bamboo things ... just in a kid's room as she wanted them that way

yes this is perfect it allows your deietys respectfull privacy .

many hindu families use this system where the shrine has to occupy a common space :)

Outstanding! I came up with a good idea! :D