• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singles,the holidays, and suicide

Riders

Usually around Christmas there are more suicides from single people than any other time of the year.

It's just hard. I am single and no I won't be suicidal. But it's tempting to want to go out and meet singles ,
And maybe even meet someone who's not good for me just so I won't be alone.

It's a temptation to get into sexual activity that I should not be involved with just I won't be alone.

It's just hard. Every commercial shows families being lovey-dovey with each other. I hate it.

It drives me crazy. Have y'all seen the commercials for the jewelry stores or the guy gets on his knee and proposes with the beautiful ring?

I hate those commercials. I'm going to try to stay busy the next 2 months, even if that means going to a lot more over eaters Anonymous meetings whatever it takes.
Is anyone else out there lonely? I just thought I would put it out there and see how many of us are single and lonely.

InChrist

Free4ever
Usually around Christmas there are more suicides from single people than any other time of the year.

It's just hard. I am single and no I won't be suicidal. But it's tempting to want to go out and meet singles ,

It's a temptation to get into sexual activity that I should not be involved with just I won't be alone.

It's just hard. Every commercial shows families being lovey-dovey with each other. I hate it.

It drives me crazy. Have y'all seen the commercials for the jewelry stores or the guy gets on his knee and proposes with the beautiful ring?

I hate those commercials. I'm going to try to stay busy the next 2 months, even if that means going to a lot more over eaters Anonymous meetings whatever it takes.
Is anyone else out there lonely? I just thought I would put it out there and see how many of us are single and lonely.
I am not single and have family nearby for the holidays, but I can understand how lonely and hard it must be for those who are alone. Besides going to more of your meetings you could turn off those commercial you don’t like. One thing that may help alleviate the loneliness is to get involved at a homeless shelter or serving at a food bank or women’s shelter during the holidays because so many of those people in need are lonely, too and need help. Then you are around other people and not alone.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I'm single but not lonely. I live with two cats now. I have my work. At the end of the month a birthday party at a friend's is coming up, Christmas I'll be with the family, New Year will be another party and in between or in January I'll have a workshop weekend here. That's as much social interaction I can handle.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you say alone, do you just mean single, or does that mean you have no one at all, including friends or family, to be with during the holidays?

Nothing wrong with being single. I think there is too much societal pressure to be in a committed relationship. Many humans are simply not wired that way. In fact, science leans toward monogamy being a societal state rather than a natural one.

Are Humans Meant to Be Monogamous?

Also, I think it's important to bear in mind those people you see in commercials are just paid actors. Unless you yearn to be an actor who has to pretend to be in love with someone, I wouldn't weigh much importance to what you see in them. What you're seeing is fake.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

You are not alone in your loneliness. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go out and meet singles, in fact I'd encourage it if you desire a personal connection like that - it speeds up getting to that point than "waiting for it to happen" does :p

Like @SalixIncendium said, there is a difference between loneliness of being single and loneliness of not having "your group". I hope that you can find your group to visit during these holidays times (I agree with you, these are the roughest times of the year for lonely people), even if that group is the Anonymous group or even just RF, if you feel they are friends then they are friends :)

I wish you the best. Keep your head up, stay positive for the future.

JIMMY12345

Misery is other people - famous writer I can't remember you will have to google. I think its more if one has other hobbies books,music,religion etc
and do not forget as divorce lawyers point out. It all happens after Xmas when people are together and find how compatible or not they are.
If all else fails watch Hitchcock presents on YouTube hilarious

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Misery is other people - famous writer I can't remember you will have to google. I think its more if one has other hobbies books,music,religion etc
and do not forget as divorce lawyers point out. It all happens after Xmas when people are together and find how compatible or not they are.
If all else fails watch Hitchcock presents on YouTube hilarious

"Hell is other people." - Jean Paul Sartre

I would say that misery and Hell is more so without other people

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Grab the Bull by the horns girl,you won’t meet anyone sitting on your butt (am I allowed to say that lol),I recommend volunteering for something,joining groups that share your interests.

Riders

Grab the Bull by the horns girl,you won’t meet anyone sitting on your butt (am I allowed to say that lol),I recommend volunteering for something,joining groups that share your interests.

I may join with a gaming group a group that gets together to play board games. Church is another place too.

JIMMY12345

I just went on a course on this subject.The eye opener is people can look cheerful and happy.They can also be key candidates.I will not mention the most common methods.However the great news is we are not in Eastern Europe and Russia (the men here like Vodka) where suicide rates are the highest.They also get picked up and jailed by the FSB if they protest.The results are posted as suicides.Do not emigrate to Russia.
The most common suicides by occupation are decorators .If in India do not be a farmer (lots of droughts and floods and thugs who chase debts)
Farmers used to rank high as being lonely and on the suicide list.

Prevention.Join a Mosque,Temple,Church Good people will look after you.

Riders

I just went on a course on this subject.The eye opener is people can look cheerful and happy.They can also be key candidates.I will not mention the most common methods.However the great news is we are not in Eastern Europe and Russia (the men here like Vodka) where suicide rates are the highest.They also get picked up and jailed by the FSB if they protest.The results are posted as suicides.Do not emigrate to Russia.
The most common suicides by occupation are decorators .If in India do not be a farmer (lots of droughts and floods and thugs who chase debts)
Farmers used to rank high as being lonely and on the suicide list.

Prevention.Join a Mosque, Temple,Church Good people will look after you.

Oh, I completely agree with the religious sentiment. I am not going anywhere now but plan to in the future. I might see if there's a service on Facebook tonight. I just joined a depression bipolar support group a week and a half ago and it is helping
tremendously. Happy New Years.