• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Single Sex classrooms growing trend in public school.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
standing_on_one_foot said:
I'd like to see some statistics on how schools like this perform compared to other schools, and whether there is a direct cause and effect relationship or some more subtle shared factor.

Agreed. I'd need to see some statistics before forming an opinion because I don't feel that hormonal distraction is sufficient enough (what about homosexuals and bisexuals?). I know though that I was greatful for an all-girls phys-ed class in high school--some of the girls were rough, but to add the boys on top of that was just too much for me, personally.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
What do you think? Is this good or bad or does it matter?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THEY CAN'T DO THAT! HOW DARE THEY?!?!?!?! This is very, very bad. Why should I go to school at all if there are no guys there?:D

But seriously, this is not cool. Girls have guy friends and vice-versa, and it's not fair to split friends up like that. Plenty of students excel in co-ed schools. I would probably kill myself in an all-girl school, simply because I don't trust girls. We're sneaky, gossipping back-biters, and I could not handle being in that kind of environment constantly. I'm boycotting school if this happens...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, I for one, am firmly against single sex classrooms. It's all too hard to get sex out of the classroom and education into the classroom these days without actually encouraging the kids to have sex when they're there. Whether it's swinging single's sex, couple's sex, married sex, or an outright orgy, I oppose it in the classroom. Sex should remain in the hallway during breaks where it's always been!

Ðanisty

Anade said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THEY CAN'T DO THAT! HOW DARE THEY?!?!?!?! This is very, very bad. Why should I go to school at all if there are no guys there?:D

But seriously, this is not cool. Girls have guy friends and vice-versa, and it's not fair to split friends up like that. Plenty of students excel in co-ed schools. I would probably kill myself in an all-girl school, simply because I don't trust girls. We're sneaky, gossipping back-biters, and I could not handle being in that kind of environment constantly. I'm boycotting school if this happens...
I agree 100%. I certainly wouldn't have bothered graduating if boys and girls had been separated for the exact same reasons you list here. All of my friends are guys...always have been.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Anade said:

I completely agree--I couldn't have handled an all-girls environment either. One of the best things about school was ogling cute boys. I wouldn't have bothered to attend my period one class in high school if a certain young man hadn't been there, and I'm dead serious about that.

lilithu said:
It's not just a matter of hormonal distraction. It's because teachers often treat girls and boys differently (often without being aware of it) and that affects their performance.

http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/papers/genderbias.html

Fair enough, but it seems to me that the solution then is to educate the teachers, and not separate the students.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I used to be a proponent of single sex education because it leads to higher academic performance, but now I'm not too sure. It seems to me now that learning social skills and how to interact with the other sex is very important at those ages.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Anade said:
I would probably kill myself in an all-girl school, simply because I don't trust girls. We're sneaky, gossipping back-biters, and I could not handle being in that kind of environment constantly.
Anade, I say this with sincere compassion: Girl, you need to work on your self-loathing.

Honestly, I used to be like you. Most all of my friends were male. I didn't get along with females. Not only was I not into the gossiping, and the primping, and the acting dumb to attract boys, and the convoluted social dynamics...I just would really rather talk about science and philosophy and religion and politics. And I prefered the way that men are usually more direct.

Yes it's true, women can be sneaky, gossipping back-biters. We often treat each other very poorly and I hate that. But what I finally I realized was that by disliking women and thinking less of women, well I was pretty much doing the same thing - treating women poorly - just in a different way. And I also realized that a lot of the things that girls/women do are the result of social pressures that basically encourage us to be "sneaky, gossipping back-biters." And these social pressure will not change unless women can stop undermining each other.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
comprehend said:

i guess you could say it's purely a personal reason, but i would hate being stuck in single sex education.

Booko said:
Well, let me put it this way, I am NOT happy that my kids' gym classes are coed. Once the kids hit puberty, they should be separate.

i agree that gym class should be single sex - but i also think gym class should be optional :shrug:
Aside from that, there is some educational value in separation at some ages, as boys and girls do not mature at the same rate.

For example, girls *tend* to have greater language skills earlier on, but boys will move faster in areas requiring spatial skills.

It's also been shown that in mixed gender classes, women speak less. (Same for cultural minorities, incidentally)

I don't think that it should be done across the board, but same gender classes are something worth looking at and should be an option.

these are some general educational benefits, yes, but i see a lot of serious social drawbacks for those who are not "your average guy or girl"

sorry, i'm finding it quite hard to state my view on this, only because of the bullying i went through in school. had it been an only boys school, i would in all likelyhood killed, or attempted to kill myself. any splitting of "girl" and "boy" limits that minority of kids who are not heterosexual or secure in their gender, such people are already a target for bullying, single sex education systems would only make that worse.

Ðanisty

lilithu said:
Anade, I say this with sincere compassion: Girl, you need to work on your self-loathing.
It's not self-loathing. It's loathing other people. And since when was not liking someone's company equivelent to treating them poorly? If women would act nicer, I'd spend time around them. They do it to themselves. And societal pressures? I won't argue that they're there, but I find it a major character flaw to succumb to that, so just knowing the pressures are there doesn't really make a difference to me. If someone can't stand up against such things, than they're not the type of person I'd want to spend time with anyway. These pressures won't change until girls refuse to bow down to them. It has nothing to do with whether I make friends with them or not. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be made responsible for someone else's inability to make good decisions.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ðanisty said:
It's not self-loathing. It's loathing other people. And since when was not liking someone's company equivelent to treating them poorly? If women would act nicer, I'd spend time around them. They do it to themselves. And societal pressures? I won't argue that they're there, but I find it a major character flaw to succumb to that, so just knowing the pressures are there doesn't really make a difference to me. If someone can't stand up against such things, than they're not the type of person I'd want to spend time with anyway. These pressures won't change until girls refuse to bow down to them. It has nothing to do with whether I make friends with them or not. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be made responsible for someone else's inability to make good decisions.
There is a reason why I addressed the post to Anade and not to you.

Luciferian/Satanism emphasizes the self-determination of the individual above all else.

I didn't expect that a Luciferian would accept the idea that how one feels about others is also a reflection of how one feels about part of oneself. (Particularly if those others constitutes one half of the human race and the same gender with which one identifies.)

I also didn't expect that a Luciferian would accept the idea we are partly responsible for our sisters and brothers.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Has anyone else been in a football program full of 150 students? All that testosterone is enough to drive me up a wall.

Then you cut the size, and it gets worse. :areyoucra

The difference is segregation in grade schools has always been designed to *prevent* blacks from getting an education -- not to give them an opportunity, as places like Spelman do.

The same was true about women schools to a certain point. If we're interested in productivity, then why not separate races as well as genders? We have just as many laws in place that would prevent racial discrimination as would prevent gender discrimination.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Why does the idea of separating students by gender cause such a reactionary, negative response? Odd.

There would still be plenty of opportunity for interaction and socialization between the genders. We're talking about single sex classrooms here, not schools.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ðanisty said:
And this somehow means am not allowed to address what you posted?
Of course you're allowed to address what I posted. But I am not going to bother arguing with you about it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
lilithu said:
Why does the idea of separating students by gender cause such a reactionary, negative response? Odd.

i just had a really negative experience of people in my school. the people i had problems from where mostly boys, because young teenage boys can be very harsh towards people they see as different or weak. i don't want to force anyone into a position where they have no chance of escaping, and i think gender assigned classes would do that.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Mike182 said:
i just had a really negative experience of people in my school. the people i had problems from where mostly boys, because young teenage boys can be very harsh towards people they see as different or weak. i don't want to force anyone into a position where they have no chance of escaping, and i think gender assigned classes would do that.
Yeah, I can see that. And there's also the problem that standing_on_one_foot brought up. I don't know what the solution is to bullying; it needs to be addressed.

It may be that separating by gender is not the best solution. But it is the case that teachers treat boys and girls differently and that students tend to live up to (or down to) the expectations of the teachers. And this needs to be addressed some way too.

<sigh>

Mike182

Flaming Queer
lilithu said:
Yeah, I can see that. And there's also the problem that standing_on_one_foot brought up. I don't know what the solution is to bullying; it needs to be addressed.

It may be that separating by gender is not the best solution. But it is the case that teachers treat boys and girls differently and that students tend to live up to (or down to) the expectations of the teachers. And this needs to be addressed some way too.

<sigh>

it is tough, but i don't think seperating boys and girls to accomodate the flaw in teachers that you bring up is the right way to go. and i do think you're right, everyone makes judgements that they may not be aware of, and it does have an affect...

i can see the UK proposals going towards a solution to the second problem, and hopefully a more individual focus on teaching kids, although it will take up more resources and money, may go towards limiting the chances to bully.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44760

Arabis

see me run
lilithu said:

<sigh>

I agree, teachers do treat boys and girls differently. I had a math teacher that was so incredibly nice to all the male students and would get angry and frustrated with all the girls. It was a woman too, so you would think that she would be more understanding to how girls learn. I think that separating by gender would cure that problem, at least you would know it was the teacher that had a problem instead of just some kid complaining.