• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Similarities of Kemetic/Egyptian beliefs and Sanatana Dharma

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I know this topic comes up often enough, both on RF, and otherwise with fellow Kemetics, so I'd love to discuss it. I think it could be interesting. Anyone have any they'd like to point out and discuss, or shall we just start with the two I'm going to suggest?

1) Monoaltry- The Kemetic belief of all gods as one God, usually called Netjer, but also indentified with the Atum, the Complete One. In this belief God is both one Netjer, and many gods and goddesses as facets of Netjer.

In Hinduism, unless I'm mistaken, this is how Brahman and the devas are viewed. The devas are viewed as being facets, faces, or images of Brahman, which are all in actuality just aspects of the supreme Lord.

2) Avatars- In Sanatana Dharma it's believed that several incarnations of Lord Vishnu have existed, including Krishna and Buddha.

In Kemetic belief, while the concept of avatars isn't really thought on or discussed, there are myths that claim Ra once ruled the world in a human form, and that Geb, Shu, and Wesir (Osiris) also did. Rather you take these myths literally or not, the concept of what Hindus call "avatars" is clearly there.

So feelings/thoughts? Discuss. Point out other interesting points as well. Might be good as an interfaith exercise. :)

Rainbow Mage

Another similarity is in the mythology of Ra and Vishnu. Am I the only one who sees this? Ra and Vishnu are both solar deities. It's said that Vishnu creates the universe anew by walking across it in three steps. In Egyptian mythology Ra has three stages of movement in the solar barque that creates each new day.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I know this topic comes up often enough, both on RF, and otherwise with fellow Kemetics, so I'd love to discuss it. I think it could be interesting. Anyone have any they'd like to point out and discuss, or shall we just start with the two I'm going to suggest?

1) Monoaltry- The Kemetic belief of all gods as one God, usually called Netjer, but also indentified with the Atum, the Complete One. In this belief God is both one Netjer, and many gods and goddesses as facets of Netjer.

In Hinduism, unless I'm mistaken, this is how Brahman and the devas are viewed. The devas are viewed as being facets, faces, or images of Brahman, which are all in actuality just aspects of the supreme Lord.

2) Avatars- In Sanatana Dharma it's believed that several incarnations of Lord Vishnu have existed, including Krishna and Buddha.

In Kemetic belief, while the concept of avatars isn't really thought on or discussed, there are myths that claim Ra once ruled the world in a human form, and that Geb, Shu, and Wesir (Osiris) also did. Rather you take these myths literally or not, the concept of what Hindus call "avatars" is clearly there.

So feelings/thoughts? Discuss. Point out other interesting points as well. Might be good as an interfaith exercise. :)

I think the combination is very pronounced in this group: http://thelivingnuhati.org/

Rainbow Mage

Yes, I know, but they show how easily the similarities blend together ;)

Yep true enough. So what do you think about some of the similarities personally? Do you think they're coencidental, or did Hindus and Kemetics ever meet in the distant past?

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Yep true enough. So what do you think about some of the similarities personally? Do you think they're coencidental, or did Hindus and Kemetics ever meet in the distant past?

I think that there was a lot of exchange of ideas due to trade, as well as a possible commonality of ancestry of the religions in the misty depths of time.

Rainbow Mage

I think that there was a lot of exchange of ideas due to trade, as well as a possible commonality of ancestry of the religions in the misty depths of time.

Yeah I've considered the possibility that at least the two cultures crossed paths at some point in the past.

Rainbow Mage

The only reason I'd hate to make the claim that our religions might share a spiritual ancestor somewhere back in the past is because it then becomes a debate about which religion is older, Kemetic or Hindu? Vaishnavas at least make the claim that the entire world used to be Hindu. While I don't dispute this could be true, can we prove it? I'd like to believe the Egyptians didn't just copy their religion from another one.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
The only reason I'd hate to make the claim that our religions might share a spiritual ancestor somewhere back in the past is because it then becomes a debate about which religion is older, Kemetic or Hindu? Vaishnavas at least make the claim that the entire world used to be Hindu. While I don't dispute this could be true, can we prove it? I'd like to believe the Egyptians didn't just copy their religion from another one.
Evidence points to Shaivism as being older than Vaishnavism. (I am somewhat of a rogue Shaivite as well, so maybe I am biased:)) Other evidence points to Tantra being the oldest. I'll have to look further into this...

Rainbow Mage

It'd be easier for me to say that Indian and Egyptian civilization are both quite old, and that Kemeticism and Hinduism started out as seperate religions of the two and evolved alongside each other, coming into contact from time to time, and perhaps exchanging/borrowing/influencing ideas.

Rainbow Mage

I wonder though is there anything in the histories of Egypt or India to suggest the two cultures may have met?

Evidence points to Shaivism as being older than Vaishnavism. (I am somewhat of a rogue Shaivite as well, so maybe I am biased:)) Other evidence points to Tantra being the oldest. I'll have to look further into this...

You and me both, dude. :149:

Your rogue Shaiva self and my renegade Vaishnava self. Here. Let's duke it out!

:ko: