• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Silence"

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Have any of you seen the movie "Silence", which is based on a true account of what happened with several Jesuit missionaries in Japan in the 1600's? My wife and I saw it last night, and we survived-- barely. It's powerful and rather brutal at times, but the "brutal" part is not for sensationalism.

This is a Catholic DIR thread, so Catholics only, please.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Have any of you seen the movie "Silence", which is based on a true account of what happened with several Jesuit missionaries in Japan in the 1600's? My wife and I saw it last night, and we survived-- barely. It's powerful and rather brutal at times, but the "brutal" part is not for sensationalism.

This is a Catholic DIR thread, so Catholics only, please.

I absolutely love that movie. I have seen it a half a dozen times now and have given the dvd as a gift a few times, most recently to my father (who is Catholic). Such a beautifully made movie! And yes very powerful. Parts of it are a bit hard to watch but the events it depicts were brutal. A true masterpiece of a movie and one of Scorsese's best, IMHO.

And I am happy to know that great films are still being made; the vast majority of what comes out of Hollywood is trash.

metis

And I am happy to know that great films are still being made; the vast majority of what comes out of Hollywood is trash.
Absolutely!

By chance, did you ever see "The Mission", which is another classic. There's one scene in that movie whereas even if I just think about it or hear the music they played during that scene that always brings me to tears.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw it when it came out. Afterwards, I both understood and was confused at how it was relegated to a discount theater. I thought it was masterfully executed, and excruciatingly painful(in a meaningful way) to get through. Probably the only time I've been deeply affected by a movie.

Regiomontanus

Absolutely!

By chance, did you ever see "The Mission", which is another classic. There's one scene in that movie whereas even if I just think about it or hear the music they played during that scene that always brings me to tears.

Hello. Yes, in fact right after I watched Silence I read a review of it in which The Mission was mentioned - I had not heard of it before. Netflix to the rescue. The ending was really hard to watch. A great flick!

metis

A few months ago I purchased a movie that I had seen back in 1967 but I'm afraid to watch it again but want to because I was preoccupied during the movie itself. It's "A Man For All Seasons" based on St. Thomas More's experience that led to his inquisition and ultimate execution. My wife won't watch the movie for much the same very emotional reason even though she never saw it. Here's why I haven't yet been able to gather enough muster to watch it.

Back in early 1967, I was in love with two very devout Catholic women at the same time even though I myself wasn't Catholic. One of them was a old girlfriend who simply was the single nicest person I had ever met before. She had dropped me two years previous but fate brought us back together in late 1966 and early 1967, and our renewed relationship got intense very quickly as we both were college seniors getting ready to graduate soon. The other woman I dearly loved, also a very devout Catholic, I had met the year before, and we got "carried away" one night near New Year, if you know what I mean.

In early February, 1967, the latter told me she thought she was pregnant but wasn't sure, and even though I loved her immensely, I didn't know if I could leave the other woman who literally had changed my life. To try and figure this out, I took the former girlfriend to see "A Man For All Seasons", and by the end of the movie I concluded that I had to go with the one I got pregnant. It was a VERY tough decision, and it was very traumatic for all three of us.

I also had to figure out before and during the movie how I would handle letting someone that I loved so very much and who changed my life go, and that really depressed me til no end. The next morning I called her, and it was the single most depressing conversation in all my years. Fortunately, I saw her about two month later and she seemed fine, but it was so strange for me, a married man with a child on the way, talking to one I still loved so very much. It was all too surreal.

Anyhow, my wife and I have been married for 51 years, but the memories of that emotional confusion still brings tears to my eyes, so now maybe you can understand why I'm literally afraid of watching the movie again and why my wife won't watch it.

BTW, there's more to that story involving St. Thomas More but in a different context that's equally nuts, but I'll stop at this point.

Regiomontanus

A few months ago I purchased a movie that I had seen back in 1967 but I'm afraid to watch it again but want to because I was preoccupied during the movie itself.

Hello. Isn't it interesting how movies (and music of course) can be so closely associated with strong memories and their associated emotions? One example for me is the movie Jaws. I watched it with a cousin back in the 70s when it came out. Several years later he died of a drug overdose. Very tragic and senseless, what a wonderful person. Anyway, every time I see that movie advertised/listed I am overwhelmed by my memories of him and I just can't bring myself to watch it - I tried a few times but all I can think about is his laugh, his great cheer, and I just can't finish the movie. I liked it at the time though, a classic.

metis

Hello. Isn't it interesting how movies (and music of course) can be so closely associated with strong memories and their associated emotions? One example for me is the movie Jaws. I watched it with a cousin back in the 70s when it came out. Several years later he died of a drug overdose. Very tragic and senseless, what a wonderful person. Anyway, every time I see that movie advertised/listed I am overwhelmed by my memories of him and I just can't bring myself to watch it - I tried a few times but all I can think about is his laugh, his great cheer, and I just can't finish the movie. I liked it at the time though, a classic.
Sorry to hear this, and you're right. With me, even some songs can bring me to tears because of the memories, and to me, that's a good thing that we recognize that some people have really affected and/or others in such a positive way.

For example, as much as I really like the music from Phantom of the Opera, I can't listen to it because it too much reminds me of my mother dying from cancer and her final trip with us to see the play in Toronto.