• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhs and Jews- Long Lost Brothers?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
742396407_62858b8a47.jpg

Sikhs and Jewish people together in Jerusalem.
Source

:)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hi Kaal ,
thanks
i enjoyed the photostream , Great to see Sikhs ,Jews ,Christians ,Sufis,Bahai BROTHERHOOD at one place .

zer0

Because of the similarities that exist between the two faiths.

I've actually been looking into many of the similarities between the Western and Eastern practices of Abraham and the Dharma. I've found a lot of fascinating stuff but haven't yet had to chance to look into the Sikh belief. Could you perhaps expound on this idea?

Also, have you considered the fact that they are instead similar because the influence of their religion (god, the universe etc) are the same?
Or perhaps that they all at one time came from the same peoples. Or is this a correct assumption to draw from evolution of is it rather that we evolved from the same species but in different areas? I'm not particular an expert on that.

zer0

I think it is hard to say that they are long lost brothers in that Sikhism is only 500 years old. I've read from one source, practically that the founder combined Hinduist and Islamic teachings.

Sikhism

Also it was founded in Punjab, which is on the border of modern day Pakistan. I think this is just a cause of cultural merging. For instance, the beliefs of Judaism, Christianity and Roman Paganism were all merged together by Constantine and the Roman empire to make a "universal" religion or one which is "regarding the whole" known today as Catholocism (
katholikos). When you have two or more religious beliefs so close to one another you either get one of two things compromise or war.

(What Does Catholic Mean? (This Rock: January 2005))

Regarding these facts, I don't doubt that there are similarities between Sikhism and Judaism for Islam and Judaism have similar roots.

xkatz

I've actually been looking into many of the similarities between the Western and Eastern practices of Abraham and the Dharma. I've found a lot of fascinating stuff but haven't yet had to chance to look into the Sikh belief. Could you perhaps expound on this idea?

Well...

1) Both Sikhs and Jews believe in G-d.
2) Both reject the concept of good vs. evil that is seen in Christianity, Islam, and Zoroastrianism.
3) Both revere their scriptures similarly (Jews have their Torah in an ark, Sikhs have the Guru Granth Sahib on an altar beneath a canopy).
4) Both wear head coverings.
5) Both do not emphasize heavily on the hereafter.

I could probably make several other points but I think you get the idea.

Last edited:

zer0

I've actually been looking into many of the similarities between the Western and Eastern practices of Abraham and the Dharma. I've found a lot of fascinating stuff but haven't yet had to chance to look into the Sikh belief. Could you perhaps expound on this idea?[
quote]

Well...

1) Both Sikhs and Jews believe in G-d.
Well...
2) Both reject the concept of good vs. evil that is seen in Christianity, Islam, and Zoroastrianism.
3) Both revere their scriptures similarly (Jews have their Torah in an ark, Sikhs have the Guru Granth Sahib on an altar beneath a canopy).
Many spiritual doctrines are treated with such respects
4) Both wear head coverings.
This tends to be a universal.

List of headgear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5) Both do not emphasize heavily on the hereafter.

I could probably make several other points but I think you get the idea.

These are all contributable pretty much to coincidence. Here are links to posts where I have mentioned an interesting correlation which I have found between the east and west.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...9-how-does-buddhism-explain-deep-sleep-4.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/dharmic-religions-dir/113581-odd-correlation-any-thoughts.html

xkatz

These are all contributable pretty much to coincidence. Here are links to posts where I have mentioned an interesting correlation which I have found between the east and west.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...9-how-does-buddhism-explain-deep-sleep-4.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/dharmic-religions-dir/113581-odd-correlation-any-thoughts.html

When I mean they are "sibling" faiths, I don't mean they actually are directly related to each other in some historical way. I am just saying they are similar.

zer0

When I mean they are "sibling" faiths, I don't mean they actually are directly related to each other in some historical way. I am just saying they are similar.

Well one could conclude that many faiths are similar in certain aspects. I would conclude that all faiths are similar in certain aspects because they all arise from some similar entity or some similar phenomenon.