• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikh Queenslanders allowed to carry ceremonial knives in schools after court ruling

danieldemol

Premium Member
Great news! I don't recall much about Sikhism from the world religious survey I did over a decade ago now, but one of the things I do remember is the practice of keeping sacred ceremonial knives being important to them. Very nice to see this exception granted!
If ceremonial knives are ok, why make an exception, why not allow them to all parents?

Treks

Technically tiny kirpan charms would suffice.

However, the purpose of the kirpan is to defend the defenceless. A Khalsa Sikh (an initiated Sikh) is a soldier-saint. Their initiation is meant to be into an army.

Ideally the kirpan would be long enough and sharp enough to be a useful weapon if required, and the Khalsa Sikh would be trained in its use. [EDIT: This statement is my opinion. While the history and meaning behind the kirpan was as weapon of defense, its modern use is symbolic.]

However in modern days it's all just symbolic. So it might as well just be a charm.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If ceremonial knives are ok, why make an exception, why not allow them to all parents?
No idea - don't live in Australia.

Just thinking about this from the context of my own country, which prohibits knifes in schools. It's proper to grant exception for ceremonial religious regalia, which Sikh knives are.

I suppose if Australia is a knifing culture and wants knives for everyone, maybe they repeal it for everyone?

danieldemol

Premium Member
No idea - don't live in Australia.

Just thinking about this from the context of my own country, which prohibits knifes in schools. It's proper to grant exception for ceremonial religious regalia, which Sikh knives are.

I suppose if Australia is a knifing culture and wants knives for everyone, maybe they repeal it for everyone?
So what about Christian sects that claim guns are part of their culture, ceremonial guns? It will be interesting to see how it all plays out i guess

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We'll need a bit more clarity as the article basically says that schools can still ban students from carrying knives.

If it's just adults visiting the school, that's fine.

@Callisto I think you'll find the Canadian violence is mostly, if not entirely, Khalistani-related. These are a group demanding a Sikh homeland be created, called Khalistan.
That sounds about right. I lived in Vancouver, Canada for 50 years and we had a very large South Asian community that, for the most part, are lovely people. Also in nearby Surrey, BC, there is a large Sikh population. Other than some pretty spectacular drug/murder investigations, most of the violence in the community was likely Khalistani-related. Some of the older firebrands have now died off or are in jail and it sounds like things have more or less settled down into regular drugs/gang violence. The only difference is our gangs are mostly South Asian, Viet Namese, Korean, Chinese, etc due to our enormous ethnic communities. (American based gangs are here but I rarely hear anything about them.)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Can they demonstrate any official religious basis for their claim, that for the purpose of this comparison, they make a vow to carry?

Sikhs have been making this vow for 300 years.
I think all they would need is for a declaration from a religious leader that it is a mandatory aspect of their religion. I don't know of any, but I dont see anything stopping pro-gun religious leaders from retrospectively making such a declaration in light of this new interpretation of the law.

Treks

I guess anyone could make such a declaration about their religion.

If a court would take it seriously is another matter. I hope common sense would prevail, but if you're talking about America, well.........

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Upon re-reading the article I think you are correct.
'Judges said their decision was not about overturning bans on children carrying knives' from the OP article.

Must have missed it, thanks for the catch.

No...it does indeed allow for Sikh children to carry a kirpan. What was meant was that the was a specific exemption for a 'real religious requirement' as opposed to an amendment to the general rule.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait. What?

Where to start?

1) Crocodile Dundee was not really a documentary...ahem...
2) Crocodile Dundee was filmed in '86, whilst the majority of knife laws came in the mid 90's (when knife violence somewhat escalated after gun bans, from memory)
3) People in the far outback could probably give 2 craps for knife laws, and would do whatever they want.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So what about Christian sects that claim guns are part of their culture, ceremonial guns? It will be interesting to see how it all plays out i guess
No, the law is interesting. The knife laws specifically allow for religious excemptions (and always have) where there are 'real religious requirements'. The only reason this case became an issue was that there is also specific bans on carrying knives in schools (which had been ignored in terms of the kirpan), and there was a stabbing in a NSW school, leading to the school ban on knives being given priority over the religious exemption in general knife laws.

I don't believe there is a similar religious provision in gun laws, and nor do I think it would be likely that a Christian religion could successfully argue that there is a 'real' requirement for guns.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

No, we don't have a knife culture. We have very strict anti-knife laws. This is a circumstance where the specific exemption allowed for religions around knives clashed with the more general knife ban in schools.
In general society, there is a knife ban, but Sikhs are effectively exempt in terms of the kirpan.
In schools, it was less clear. Until recently, the kirpan had been allowed, but one was used in a stabbing, leading to schools banning them. This case was to establish whether the existing religious exemption rule, or the existing school ban took precedence.

The religious exemption won out. I'm not a fan of a general exemption, I think it would have made more sense to work with Sikh leaders to find out what could be done in a school setting to satisfy safety rules and the religious requirements. Sometimes that isn't possible, but in this specific case I think it would have been simple, based on my admittedly limited knowledge.

There had been suggestions from Sikh communities on various means of securing kirpans, or similar, so as to render them impotent as a weapon.

Treks

Esteban X

As I understand it, and I am willing to accept correction, the carrying of the Kirpan is meant to represent a Sikh's willingness to defend their faith. As such a small symbolic blade, such as a badge or pendant, would be sufficient.