• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should women be Priests?

maggie2

Maybe a better question is: Why shouldn't women be priests? As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea that women shouldn't be priests is archaic.

Master Vigil

SoyLeche said:
For what it's worth, according to LDS theology, they are different.
How?

I view the subject as this...

If a woman can know god, understand it's nature, and is able to teach others about it. Then she can be a priest. And that same premise is applied to men as well.

Personally, I see animals as better teachers of Tao. Why shouldn't there be animal priests? :rolleyes:

SoyLeche

meh...
Master Vigil said:
How?

If a woman can know god, understand it's nature, and is able to teach others about it. Then she can be a priest. And that same premise is applied to men as well.

Personally, I see animals as better teachers of Tao. Why shouldn't there be animal priests? :rolleyes:
The question was whether or not male souls were different than female souls. The LDS church teaches that they are. One isn't better than another, but they are different. Check out the Proclamation to the World on the Family. I added the bolding.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World
spacer.gif

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

ch'ang

artist in training
Over my dead body, it isn't their role.
And who exactly decided these roles? Did all the men and women sit down and say "Ok women get cooking, men get hunting. Women get cleaning inside the house and men get yard work ect ect."

No each gender fell into these roles by chance over hundreds of years of cultural evolution, but that doesn't mean that if any person deviates from these norms that they have done grevious harm. You can either choose to follow the cultural norms or not its your choice and neither decision is better or worse than the other.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Master Vigil said:
How?

Very well put. :clap

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jeffrey said:
What is wrong with a woman being a Priest, Pastor, or any other 'head' of a church? I know the Catholics and the LDS both do not allow this. Why? Tradition? Should these laws not change?
From the LDS perspective, it has to do with the roles God gave to men and women. We see men and women as equal in God's sight, but having different roles from one another. Both the LDS and the Catholics (unless I'm mistaken) believe that God established the "rules," and it simply isn't up to human beings to decide that the rules God established aren't "modern" enough. I know that a great many women find this to be discriminatory, but I never have. My self-worth is not based on whether I can hold the Priesthood. After all, look at the calling God gave women. Could any role in life be more divine than motherhood? Not to me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
Having said that, I don't think that it is a big deal to most of the female LDS population. You'd have to ask them, of course, but I don't think they're missing out on anything by not having the Priesthood.
As I told my husband a long time ago, it's just one more meeting I'd have to go to. :D

Aqualung

Tasty
maggie2 said:
Maybe a better question is: Why shouldn't women be priests? As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea that women shouldn't be priests is archaic.
Arcahic? But if you believe in a God that is the same yesterday, today, and forever (like the abrahamic god), you would essentially want to stay archaic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jeffrey said:
Very well put. :clap
Jeff, have you and Rebecca ever given any serious thought to looking into Unitarian Universalism? It just strikes me as being such a perfect fit for you.

(Gee, how's that for reverse-proselytizing? ;) )

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
The thing about being Catholic is I don't have to agree with everything. I have a voice, and I will voice how I feel to the Father or brothers of the church without fear of being 'shunned'.

opensoul7

Yes women should. They are human beings and Gods children just like the rest of us . So the gender is different , is not the soul the same ? the same gift given by God "the divine spark" that connects us to God? Tolerance....understanding...compassion...Love.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
opensoul7 said:
Yes women should. They are human beings and Gods children just like the rest of us . So the gender is different , is not the soul the same ? the same gift given by God "the divine spark" that connects us to God? Tolerance....understanding...compassion...Love.
Well said! Frubals to you. :D

hero

i personally do am not femenist in any way. i believe from nature that many things are more suitable for men than women, but do not think women incapable. suitablility would only in my opinion be in question if it came to physical labor. as far as intelect goes not only do i believe women capable but suitable as well. when god created eve, it is common for people to say that god created her for adam. in a sense he did, but not as though a slave, but a companion. in companionship the is neither superior, nor inferior, only love. love is all that matters.

maggie2

Aqualung said:
Arcahic? But if you believe in a God that is the same yesterday, today, and forever (like the abrahamic god), you would essentially want to stay archaic.
I think you are making assumptions here. I never said that I believe that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I am not part of an Abrahamic religion. I believe God is evolving and ever-creating. So, no, I wouldn't want to "stay archaic" because I am not archaic to start with.:D I know I'm getting up there, but I don't think I'm ancient yet!:biglaugh:

Master Vigil

The only constant in this universe is change. Thus, god (or even our concept of god) cannot be the same yesterday, today, and forever. Unless you view the constant change as a constant, and thus god stays the same. Which is how I see it. However, if you don't change with the times, you are in effect, "not staying the same". Woah, not sure if that makes any sense. :D