• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Follow the Majority?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If there is something that I have wrote isn't in the Bible, show me where I'm wrong. But if everything is in the Bible, then follow the Bible not me or my beliefs.
I have seen many many a thread right here on RF where two bible believers were arguing over whose version of what the Bible said is wrong.
The point being, they were merely pointing out the differences between their interpretations of the Bible.
Neither were interested in showing how they were right.
They were merely pointing out the other was different and claiming being different was wrong.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Whenever we challenge the mainstream teaching on some doctrine, we always tend to get a number of people staying ... "Well, this has been the belief of the majority for centuries, so it must be right. I'm not going to go along with just a few who believe differently. It's the majority that have the truth".

So I thought I would take a look in the Bible and see if this statement is correct or not, and what did I find? The Bible shows us the complete opposite! Take a look:

MAJORITY OR FEW? In the days of Noah, who had the truth? The majority or the few?

When Elijah was on the mount with 450 'prophets' of Baal, who had the truth?

When the king of Babylon issued a decree for all to bow to the golden image, and Daniel's three friends refused. Who was in the right?

When the command was given during the reign of king Darius to not pray to God for thirty days, were the majority who went along with that decree in the right, or the few?

During the days of Jeremiah the prophet of God. Did the majority have the truth or the few!

During the time of Jesus Christ, who had the truth? The majority or the few?

During the dark ages, when the Roman Catholic Church reigned the world. Who had the truth? The majority within the 'visible church', or the few scattered around the world, reading and following the scriptures?

Before you answered read Matthew 7:13-14.
Bless.

At the time, my belief, is that all the major religions were the truth for their age but they were mostly shunned and persecuted minorities when they appeared just like Jesus and Noah.

Then gradually they all became majorities in their regions of the world. From only a handful, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and the Zoroastrian Faith came flourishing civilisations and learning. An ebb and flow.

They arose from a minority, then reached their golden age as a majority, then declined and another religion dawned. We’ve witnessed the rise and fall of all these kingdoms, civilisations and religions over time. None remain intact. but all came from minorities and won hearts and minds to become majorities.

I don’t believe that numbers is at all relevant to truth because all the major religions were once only a handful of followers that centuries later budded into great civilisations and centres of learning.

Truth, I believe, is determined instead, by the Word of God, not the clergy or what the minister says. So I accept the Words of Moses, Buddha, Krishna, Christ and Muhammad’s as infallible truth, but not what theologians or preachers say, because I believe they are imperfect and make mistakes.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You mean as opposed to actual revelation from God, you prefer whatever the writers of the New Testament scribbled down for their own reasons and whatever was left of those when your edition was printed?
No, that is actually not what I meant.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At the time, my belief, is that all the major religions were the truth for their age but they were mostly shunned and persecuted minorities when they appeared just like Jesus and Noah.

Then gradually they all became majorities in their regions of the world. From only a handful, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and the Zoroastrian Faith came flourishing civilisations and learning. An ebb and flow.

They arose from a minority, then reached their golden age as a majority, then declined and another religion dawned. We’ve witnessed the rise and fall of all these kingdoms, civilisations and religions over time. None remain intact. but all came from minorities and won hearts and minds to become majorities.

I don’t believe that numbers is at all relevant to truth because all the major religions were once only a handful of followers that centuries later budded into great civilisations and centres of learning.

Truth, I believe, is determined instead, by the Word of God, not the clergy or what the minister says. So I accept the Words of Moses, Buddha, Krishna, Christ and Muhammad’s as infallible truth, but not what theologians or preachers say, because I believe they are imperfect and make mistakes.
There is no need to interpretation or to look in the so-called scriptures.
Helping others is merit and causing pain to others is sin.
"Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam".

Piculet

There is no need to interpretation or to look in the so-called scriptures.
Helping others is merit and causing pain to others is sin.
"Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam".
Then why do you cause pain to us by making dismissive comments that never seem to affirm anything? You come off as bitter and I wish you could let it go.

Piculet

They were merely pointing out the other was different and claiming being different was wrong.
That's just how you'd like to think of it. Religion haters would love that religious people did not have any truth. But just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's just how you'd like to think of it. Religion haters would love that religious people did not have any truth. But just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

A bit like yourself then? Unless you have definitive proof for your beliefs - other than some text from the past.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Occasionally, the majority has been correct, but that is usually by accident and quickly resolved.

It is best, when the majority believes something, to be extra skeptical of that something. Sometimes, there can be a kernel of truth, well hidden. But often there is just ignorance and bigotry.

But, it is to be remembered that the majority accept some sort of religion. The majority think their own ways are best. And the majority are often tribal and ignorant.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Then why do you cause pain to us by making dismissive comments that never seem to affirm anything? You come off as bitter and I wish you could let it go.
The pain is not because of what I write but because of your prejudices. Leave them and you will be happy. That is what I did. :)

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
Don't make me laugh with your clap-trap.
Bahai cooking begins! :D
Nice post, but there should be a God before whom I can stand and say that "I am always right". Unfortunately, there is no God or Allah. All imagination. Only pressure selling.
Do there is magicians?

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.

My friend, here at this statement is about the teaching and living of the God of the Bible. We can not mixed them with other believing. It is what happened from the beginning till today, to know who is God true remnant people.

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
I have seen many many a thread right here on RF where two bible believers were arguing over whose version of what the Bible said is wrong.
The point being, they were merely pointing out the differences between their interpretations of the Bible.
Yes, I also know that, the problem is that if you can proof Biblical what the Bible teaches, and if the opposite of what you are saying they don't like it, because it is against theirs teachings. And they know that you are right. They tried to banner you because you are letting people go against their teachings. An example: Jesus Christ says think not or don't think...... Matthew 5:17-18. But why the majority think that the Law is done with? And when they defend themselves with Jesus dead on the cross...... I ask them does this earth and heaven has past away? Then SILENT. Non of them ask me more questions and also ask me why I am following only the Bible. Bless

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
If only the "Truth" was so easy to determine.

Of course, being in the "few" does not guarantee truth.
And as you are sure to point out sooner or later, those in the few that disagree with you are also "not in the truth", right?
I mean looksie at all the cults, sects, etc. that are even more "in the few" than yours...
Understand this, the Few that I'm talking about is what God Himself says. Read Revelation 12:17 and 14:12.
These people are the Few that was from the beginning till Jesus return. The majority of Christians never have see the Three Angels Messages. Why? Because no one have preached it. (I can, can ...?)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Should We Follow the Majority?

No, unless you truly believe what the majority believes. If you do not, then agreeing, just because they are the majority, is never the way to go

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Religious people would love that they had the truth.
But just because you keep saying you do, does not mean you do.

Your bold empty denial is most entertaining.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do there is magicians?
English is obviously not your native language. Oh yes, there are magicians and tricksters in all countries. In India, they produce watches, rings, necklaces or flowers, ash out of nothing. Is that what you were asking? And how many people would you be able to impress with your 'End of Time' prophecies in this 21st Century? The world has moved beyond that. You cannot turn the clock back by 2000 years.