• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we be disrespectful towards the Bible?

jimb

Premium Member
That is true. Jesus came to heal. And I believe those people with him were healed and rejected their sinful ways.

I see no difference between the ancient and modern, except that the modern is more greedy.
No, the ancients were more greedy.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, the ancients were more greedy.
Nah, the ancients knew that you can't have faith and reason. Their solution was to disregard reason.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”
― Martin Luther

Today's Christians try to bend logic in a way that their belief seems rational, i.e. they want the impossible, faith and reason. I call that greedy.

jimb

Premium Member
Nah, the ancients knew that you can't have faith and reason. Their solution was to disregard reason.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”
― Martin Luther

Today's Christians try to bend logic in a way that their belief seems rational, i.e. they want the impossible, faith and reason. I call that greedy.

Apparently you don't know much about ancient civilizations. Many of them held reason in high regard. (Think of the Greek philosophers!)

I have both reason and faith. And I am a Christian.

Here are some of the instances of the verb "reason" in the Bible.

Isaiah 1:18a, “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord"

Acts 18:4, "Every Sabbath he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Acts 18:9, "They arrived at Ephesus, where Paul left Priscilla and Aquila. He himself went into the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews."

Hebrews 11:19, "Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death."

Heyo

Veteran Member
Greedy??? Do you even understand what the word means?
"greedy /grē′dē/

adjective​

1. Having or showing a strong or excessive desire to acquire money or possess things, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves." - The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Once you have faith, or reason, you neither need nor deserve the other, but you still want it all. That's greedy.

jimb

Premium Member
"greedy /grē′dē/

adjective​

1. Having or showing a strong or excessive desire to acquire money or possess things, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves." - The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Once you have faith, or reason, you neither need nor deserve the other, but you still want it all. That's greedy.
Obviously you don't know what you're writing about.

Here is a different translation that may help you understand (though I doubt you ever will)...

Isaiah 1:18...

“Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the Lord,
“Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool."

Or in another translation...

“Come now, let us settle the matter,”
says the Lord.
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool."

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
It's My Birthday!

Here is a different translation that may help you understand (though I doubt you ever will)...

Says the Lord,
They will be like wool."

says the Lord.
Very nice scripture, I am so thankful that God forgives sins that are like scarlet and helps us transform our thinking and actions to please him better. :sparklingheart::twohearts:

Heyo

Veteran Member

I think that you are the one who doesn't know what they are writing about.
Do you know what reason is?

jimb

Premium Member
I think that you are the one who doesn't know what they are writing about.
Do you know what reason is?
Of course I do! Do you think I would posts Bible quotes with understanding them?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Any proof for that?

Your perpetual lack of basic English language persists with your misuse of "proof."

Simply observe the different cultures in history all cultures have a moral and ethical system of behavior. There is of course variations, and some behaviors in Western Judeo-Christian cultures may be considered immoral in other cultures and the reverse is true.

There is a growing consensus that the neurobiology underlying our moral sense and the moral norms of any given culture were genetically and culturally selected for the benefits of cooperation they produced1,2,7. That is, behaviors motivated by our moral sense and enforced by cultural moral norms are elements of cooperation strategies, notably reciprocity strategies, that solve social problems arising from unbridled self=interest. Many of the contradictions and bizarreness of cultural moral norms can be explained by differences in who one ought to cooperate with3, who one can ignore or even exploit8, and markers of membership6 in these ingroups and out-groups (markers such as food and sex taboos, circumcision, hair and dress styles, sacred objects and ideas, and sacred authorities).No matter how flawed and contradictory, our morally sanctioned behaviors have been adequate to make us the incredibly successful social species we are. Might recognition and conscious application may vary, but a basically and fundamentally similar.

The first is a moral universal that prescribes what everyone ‘ought’ to do across all cultures, a morality that is universally binding. This is a common understanding of “moral universal” in philosophy.

The second is what all moral systems can be shown to have in common as cooperation strategies (what is common to all cooperation strategies relevant to morality), without these empirical universals being somehow innately binding. A society might advocate for and enforce such a moral universal as best for meeting their shared needs and preferences.

TVOL is pleased to explore the question “Is there a universal morality?” with the help of philosophers and scientists at the forefront of studying morality in light of “this view of life”. We begin with collected short commentaries to sketch a large canvas, which will then be filled in with in-depth articles and interviews.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why do you think so?
Probably the same, because basic human nature has not changed but some moral and ethical standards are changing, For example in the past and in the Bible the immoral practice of slavery was not considered immoral as described in the Bible,

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
greed·y
[ˈɡrēdē]
adjective

having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power:
"greedy thieves who plundered a defense contractor"
  • having an excessive desire or appetite for food
rea·son
[ˈrēz(ə)n]
noun
  1. a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event:
    "the minister resigned for personal reasons" · "it is hard to know for the simple reason that few records survive"
    Similar:
    cause
    grounds
    ground
    basis
    rationale
    motive
  2. the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic:
    "there is a close connection between reason and emotion"

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Says the Lord,
They will be like wool."

says the Lord.
Ancient primitive use of language are not always relevant or the best use today. There is inconsistency as how "greed" is defined in different cultures and even among different churches and religions. For example the Amish believe that desires above the very basic needs of life is greed.

The same problem is with primitive Biblical and other ancient standards of morality, such as slavery is no longer relevant today. The international standard today of slavery and indentured servitude is immoral today.

What is far worse from the perspective of ancient religions is the cynical negative view of many toward science which could help us understand the differences between different cultures and religions in the history of humanity.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Considering the subject ot the thread as far as "respect" for the Bible as well as all ancient and today's religious scriptures. First I do not equate belief or acceptance of an interpretation respect

I respect the Bible and all ancient and today's scriptures, but I put them in the context of the culture and times they were written, and the universal perspecspective of the history of humanity.