• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we be disrespectful towards the Bible?

Then I would categorically say you are incorrect and that you can’t find a Christian, that I know of, that advocates the stoning of people

Christians aren’t under the Mosaic law but rather under the Covenant of Abraham. In Christian terms, we are not under the Old Testament but under the New Last Will and Testament.

Was that a simple mistake on your part for lack of knowledge or understanding?
Maybe there is some misunderstanding, I don't say Christians, or Christianity advocates stoning of people.

However, I have understood, if for example adultery, murder, lies, theft... was wrong in old covenant, it is also wrong in the new covenant.

Still we must apply what Jesus says to love to one another and treat one another like you want to be treated.

Then the Apostle Paul says "anyone who claims to be a brother or a sister". Something drastically changes, Apostle Paul says don't even eat with that person or associate with him. --1 Corinthians 5:11

Jesus showed love, ate & associated with sinners! ...
I think it is good to love each other and treat everyone well. However, I don't think it means people must be in company of those that do bad things.

People say that Jesus was with sinners. I think it is not accurately said. I think it should be said, he was with former sinners. By what i see, Jesus healed people and led them to better way of life. And certainly that is the goal, that people become righteous and reject wrong ways.

I think it is very bad that often Christians teach that everything is fine, people can do what ever they want, because sins are forgiven and because of love. Yet, Jesus said people should reform.

No--I say to you, but, if ye may not reform, all ye even so shall perish.
Luke 13:3

If nothing is wrong, as many would like to think, there would be no need for reform and forgiveness.

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
I think it is good to love each other and treat everyone well. However, I don't think it means people must be in company of those that do bad things.

People say that Jesus was with sinners. I think it is not accurately said. I think it should be said, he was with former sinners. By what i see, Jesus healed people and led them to better way of life. And certainly that is the goal, that people become righteous and reject wrong ways.

I think it is very bad that often Christians teach that everything is fine, people can do what ever they want, because sins are forgiven and because of love. Yet, Jesus said people should reform.

If nothing is wrong, as many would like to think, there would be no need for reform and forgiveness.
I agree with you. :sparklingheart: These Scriptures express the importance of Repentance, Obeying the Gospel and doing Good!

* I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. --Luke 13:3 (Red Letter Edition) King James Version

* and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent ye and believe the Gospel.” --Mark 1:15 KJ21

* And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.” --John 3:36 New Living Translation

* And after he had been made perfect, he became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him, --Hebrews 5:9

* in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
--2 Thessalonians 1:8 NKJV

* however, for those who are contentious and who disobey the truth but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and anger --Romans 2:8

* Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. --John 5:28-29 KJV

* Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
--Matthew 28:20 NLT

Last edited:

walt

If nothing is wrong, as many would like to think, there would be no need for reform and forgiveness
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
--Matthew 7:21 The New International Version (NIV)

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. --1 John 2:3-4 King James Version

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” --John 8:31

Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” --1 Corinthians 15:33 New American Standard Bible

Still we can be kind and loving to everyone, because the Bible says that too. :sparklingheart::)

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member

Actually, Jesus was with sinners (not former sinners). For example, He had dinner at a tax collector's house. That was one of the most despised professions of NT times.

Matthew 9:9-11, "As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax booth. “Follow me,” he said to him. So he got up and followed him. As Jesus was having a meal in Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Jesus and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

I agree with the rest of your post.

walt

Actually, Jesus was with sinners (not former sinners). For example, He had dinner at a tax collector's house. That was one of the most despised professions of NT times.

Matthew 9:9-11, "As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax booth. “Follow me,” he said to him. So he got up and followed him. As Jesus was having a meal in Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Jesus and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

You are really good at finding scriptural evidence!
Is there any more scriptures in the New Testament, that explain not to associate or even eat with a person that is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler etc. That is a brother or sister in the faith?

But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. --1 Corinthians 5:11 NIV

The Apostle Paul is writing this letter to the Corinthian Congregation, why is he talking so harshly about anyone who claims to be a brother or sister, involved in serious sinful conduct? And do you know of any other scriptures like this one? Thank You if you can help.

Ok, maybe there were people who still were sinners. I think that scripture doesn't necessary mean that, because it can be understood that they were commonly seen as sinners, but not necessary actually sinners anymore. In any case, they goal is to become righteous and reject sin.

It is interesting that tax collectors were considered sinners.

jimb

Premium Member
You are really good at finding scriptural evidence!
Is there any more scriptures in the New Testament, that explain not to associate or even eat with a person that is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler etc. That is a brother or sister in the faith?

But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. --1 Corinthians 5:11 NIV

The Apostle Paul is writing this letter to the Corinthian Congregation, why is he talking so harshly about anyone who claims to be a brother or sister, involved in serious sinful conduct? And do you know of any other scriptures like this one? Thank You if you can help.
Thanks for the compliment. I read the Bible every day, so certain principles come to mind and then I use an online Bible source to find the words.

I am on my phone right now, so I'm not referencing a Bible source, but Paul often has harsh things to say about things to say about associating with sinners. The beginning of Romans, for example, very harshly criticizes non-believers, who should know God, because His existence is clearly shown to them, yet they persist in all kinds of sin. The implication is clearly to avoid being with them.

On the other hand, he also says that what he writes doesn't apply to non-believers. Otherwise, with whom would believers associate? He clearly wishes that everyone would learn the truth and become Christians, but he is also realistic.

I will try to elaborate further later in the day.

jimb

Premium Member
Ok, maybe there were people who still were sinners. I think that scripture doesn't necessary mean that, because it can be understood that they were commonly seen as sinners, but not necessary actually sinners anymore. In any case, they goal is to become righteous and reject sin.

It is interesting that tax collectors were considered sinners.
I disagree. The people with whom Jesus associated were definitely sinners. I am not at my PC right now so I can't find the exact verse, but Jesus clearly states that it is not the healthy people (believers) but the sick who need a physician.

Regarding tax collectors... they were not like today's tax collectors. They were corrupt people who overcharged people and kept a share of the revenue. They were clearly despised.

walt

Thanks for the compliment. I read the Bible every day, so certain principles come to mind and then I use an online Bible source to find the words.

I am on my phone right now, so I'm not referencing a Bible source, but Paul often has harsh things to say about things to say about associating with sinners. The beginning of Romans, for example, very harshly criticizes non-believers, who should know God, because His existence is clearly shown to them, yet they persist in all kinds of sin. The implication is clearly to avoid being with them.

On the other hand, he also says that what he writes doesn't apply to non-believers. Otherwise, with whom would believers associate? He clearly wishes that everyone would learn the truth and become Christians, but he is also realistic.

I will try to elaborate further later in the day.
It seems like Jesus and Paul don't find a problem with eating and associating with serious sinners but once they become part of the congregation as brothers and sisters, It seems they are held to a higher standard of conduct.

1 Corinthians 5:11 expresses to stop mixing companies with brothers and sisters that are involved in, or go back to serious sin.

Thanks for anything you could find.

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member

The Bible clearly states that Christians should not do whatever they want, i.e., behave according to their previous nature, ruled by sin. Once Christians are filled with the Holy Spirit, they are motivated to behave as the Holy Spirit prompts, which is the opposite of sin.

BTW, it is important to understand to whom the Bible "books" were written. The Gospels were written for unbelievers, as they deliver the "good news" (what "gospel means) to unsaved people.

...it is not the healthy people (believers) but the sick who need a physician.
That is true. Jesus came to heal. And I believe those people with him were healed and rejected their sinful ways.
Regarding tax collectors... they were not like today's tax collectors. They were corrupt people who overcharged people and kept a share of the revenue.
I see no difference between the ancient and modern, except that the modern is more greedy.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That is true. Jesus came to heal. And I believe those people with him were healed and rejected their sinful ways.

I see no difference between the ancient and modern, except that the modern is more greedy.
Greed is pretty much universal with humanity even in churches.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion. This guy caught me off guard by getting a bit offended and defensive. This chap is the most disrespectful *Staff Edit* I have ever met, a real sore to work with because he is so negative. But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.

That was just a habitual, taught, reaction. You are taught to "respect" someone's religion. And I was a Christian for the longest time, I expected that people don't clown on me for my Christianity.

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. *Staff Edit* And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

I am a gay man with a boyfriend. I have to keep the most important part of my life a secret from my family and the public in general because of the BIBLE. *Staff Edit* Leviticus 20:13 literally says I should be STONED to DEATH!

That's just one teensy eensy aspect of the Bible that is messed up. And people think we should "respect" it?

I have become determined to be unabashed in my distaste for Christianity and the Bible in my conversations. Screw that respect crap. Your book says I should be killed. At the very least, you think I'm wrong for being gay because of your holy book. *Staff Edit*

Next time Mr. *Staff Edit* is annoying me with his negativity I am going to bring him to town and disrespect the Bible hella. He hasn't read it. He respects it because his mama and pastor told him to? What a baby. Give me a break... I'm gonna clown on him so hard for being a Bible believer. Trust me, this chap has it coming, I hate working with him. Now I know how I can get to him hee hee.

What do you guys think about "respecting" other people's beliefs when their beliefs say you should be stoned to death? Isn't that asking a lot of me?
If you want to start a fight ─ and you give the impression you do ─ that seems as good a way as any.