• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the US Distance Itself from Israel?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I think the US should run as far away from Israel as possible. This senseless support to Israel is doing a lot of harm to the US image in the Middle-East. America should not support Israel at cost of spoiling relations with a lot of other Arab countries. These two links summarize what I think perfectly. Most Americans are unaware of the facts and are in support of Israel for no other reason than that it is the promised land. This backward sort of religious thinking should not dictate the foreign policy of the US.
[youtube]e7KUOQsS_tc[/youtube]
YouTube - Israel's Netanyahu Slaps Peace & US Across The Face
[youtube]tkdQbhB7Ckk[/youtube]
YouTube - How Much Power Does Israel Have Over the US?

Troublemane

sheesh. the real reason we have been allies with israel is because they have been the only westernized nation in the region. the arab states have been largely anti-western, and thats partly because we have meddled in their politics to help our oil companies exploit their resources.

thats not a political statement i just made, those are facts. we have backed israel out of necessity, to maintain an ally in the region. not because of any religious view. pah-leeze. :D

should we distance ourselves from them? yay! then the whole middle east can hate us! that would be awesome! *sarcasm*

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Countries tend to take sides...
It is a human trait.
However people trust others that are even handed.
The USA has not been even handed over the middle east.
Israel is understood to be the main aggressor by the majority of the world.
when the USA stands up to both sides equally, when they commit aggression, then there will be a chance of progress and peace.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
IMO it would make little difference to the USA's image in the Middle East if it withdrew support,it will still be seen as the big Shaitan.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes.

It would immediately ease any and all tension in the mid-east.

Except for Israels government.
They`d be tense.

I`m good with that.

I dunno.

On the one hand, holding on to Israel is one of the last remaining Cold War methods that we have... the theory that the more democracies there are in the world --- especically in strategic places --- the safer the USA is.

BUT

Israel has a strong enough military to fend for itself against all its enemies, and it's going to remain that way for the forseeable future.

The USA is a good ally for Israel because we keep Israel from attacking her enemeies, and her enemies from attacking her.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Should the US distance itself from Israel? Why or why not?

Would putting some distance between the US and Israel be in the best interests of the US? Why or why not?
What the article fails to mention is that the original cost for the F-35 deal has trippled itself, so once again we are left with the same mantra... which is that 'the US is giving Israel an annual aid, and weapons', while failing to recognize that this is a solid way for the Americans to make sure that Israel keeps buying American military hardware, and that multi billion dollar deals are on the horizon.
the US 'aid' to Israel (and other nations) is in the interest of the American armed forces and American workers. the FMF (Foreign Military Financing program) is a traditional American method to ensure global American interests.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

I think the US and the UK should let Israel become more independent. Israel can take care of itself, it has an advanced military and other than missiles being fired into it's territory by a few Palestinian troublemakers, I'd guess the odds of the country being overun and invaded seems rather little.

Not to mention that 3 Arab countries ganged up on Israel in the 60's and quite frankly, got Chris Brown'd in the process - so I think Israel is strong enough on it's own.

Our seemingly blind support for Israel draws a lot of criticism of us from the Muslim world, however I believe a lot of crucial high-tech industries are dependent on hardware and software developed in Israel, so that's probably another reason why we continue to support them.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Are you folks thinking this one through? How many times has the United States encouraged Israel not to go ballistic in the past when it is involved in a conflict?

If we step back, it will embolden attacks on Israel and we will see another 7 day war.

My guess Israel would have already nuked Iran if not for the United States government being influential.

Aquitaine

Are you folks thinking this one through? How many times has the United States encouraged Israel not to go ballistic in the past when it is involved in a conflict?

If we step back, it will embolden attacks on Israel and we will see another 7 day war.

My guess Israel would have already nuked Iran if not for the United States government being influential.

Why would Israel have any reason to nuke Iran?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Isnt it a bit strange talking about the US restraining Israel, while the death toll of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict looks like a highschool brawl in comparison to Operation Iraqi Freedom? while the Iraq war was going, and the Iraqi death toll increased, Israel has endured 8 long years of rocket barrages on Israeli towns. tell me how long would the US restrain itself if a Mexican terror organization launched rockets at Houston and San Antonio?
Or ignoring that while Israel pursued peace talks with the Syrians, it was the Americans who demanded Israel to cease the negotiations?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Isnt it a bit strange talking about the US restraining Israel, while the death toll of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict looks like a highschool brawl in comparison to Operation Iraqi Freedom? while the Iraq war was going, and the Iraqi death toll increased, Israel has endured 8 long years of rocket barrages on Israeli towns. tell me how long would the US restrain itself if a Mexican terror organization launched rockets at Houston and San Antonio?
Or ignoring that while Israel pursued peace talks with the Syrians, it was the Americans who demanded Israel to cease the negotiations?

Good points Caladan, Myself, I consider Israel an exceptional ally and do not want us to distance ourselves as such.

The ol Reverend supports Israel 100% :yes:

I cannot think of one good reason to do otherwise.

Aquitaine

Pretty much.

America is way more aggressive than Israel.

Aquitaine

Are you serious? Acquiring nukes and threatening to wipe Israel off the map? I'm surprised we have not used mini nuke bunker busters already.

Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map? Where did you hear that?

Also don't they only want Nuclear technology for energy purposes?

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes, that was my point.

A

angellous_evangellous

Are you serious? Acquiring nukes and threatening to wipe Israel off the map? I'm surprised we have not used mini nuke bunker busters already.

Because the USA will then be the only nation in the world to use nukes. Again.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Good points Caladan, Myself, I consider Israel an exceptional ally and do not want us to distance ourselves as such.

The ol Reverend supports Israel 100% :yes:

I cannot think of one good reason to do otherwise.
There's a lot of trendiness in talking about the ill placed American foreign policy with Israel and referring to AIPAC as if it was a mythological Jewish Cabal. but I'd like the people who criticize different elements, like the American military aid for example, to take a moment and ask themselves, would the US be investing in something without guarantees that it is in its interests? Americans are citizens of a Superpower, they need to dwell on what it means, because they can't afford being ill informed on American foreign affairs, being a Superpower means making sure that your economy is a global leader, and that your strategic and defence interests are in a constant race to make sure they are fulfilled. the US has had historical interests to support Israel from the cold war era, where the USSR was intensly investing in the Arab states, Israel was a way to counter communist hold on the region. today Israel mirrors many of the intests of America in a region which hardly meets any of those. for example, the nations around Israel have traditionally been dictatorships, being ruled by the same political figure for decades, and while the Americans debate issues such as same sex marriage, and DADT, Israel has been recognizing same sex marriage and has been applying a policy of openly taking gays into all positions and ranks, so in this regard, it seems that the future course that both nations strive to is on the same page when placed near Sharia or Sharia aspiring nations.
don't get me wrong, the US should pursue its interests with the Arab nations, and hopefully Israel and more Arab nations would allow mutual interests make diplomatic relations possible, but Americans need to ask themselves why have their governments been traditional allies to Israel? is it because they are under a spell of a Jewish cabal, or is it that they might actually be pursuing some of the most basic American interests.

Last edited: