• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should The State Recognise Gender

Kirran

Premium Member
The attack helicopter statement is a little joke, it references how people say they're genderqueer and so forth, and made by meme lovers and right wing people like louder with crowder and milo.

Also there's a good term for those, they're called hermaphrodites. Also it's not it's own biological sex, is a birth defect. I know cultural and social is not the same as biological, but almost all people who are born don't mind being called by their biological gender. It's also proven that being trangender is a brain dysfunction, one study shown here. Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’

Hermaphrodite doesn't cover all the people covered by the term intersex. And the term intersex is the current medical term for it.

Almost, yes.

Gender dysphoria is a disorder best treated through hormone replacement therapy and in some cases gender reassignment surgery.

EmperorSwordMan

A Fantasy turned Real
Erm, gender reassignment surgery? You can't change your biological gender, you can only go through horrible self genital mutilation, which is what the sugary is. Also intersex people are classed as having both male and female genitals.

Kirran

Premium Member
Erm, gender reassignment surgery? You can't change your biological gender, you can only go through horrible self genital mutilation, which is what the sugary is. Also intersex people are classed as having both male and female genitals.

Yeah, it's not well-named. Horrible is of course subjective, as is mutilation. The fact is many national medical boards approve this surgery in appropriate circumstances.

EmperorSwordMan

A Fantasy turned Real
Yeah, it's not well-named. Horrible is of course subjective, as is mutilation. The fact is many national medical boards approve this surgery in appropriate circumstances.
The only reason why it's accepted is because they put you to sleep during it so you don't feel it. Yes, it is basic mutilation of the natural body. I think it should be banned personally.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, you can change your biological gender on various levels, such as hormonally. Hormones change your hormonal profile to that of a male or a female, and they send you through a male or female puberty. I've been on testosterone therapy for almost 3 years now. It's sent me through a male puberty and you wouldn't know otherwise. Hormones are probably the biggest driver of what constitutes physical "maleness" and "femaleness".

"Mutilation" is a subjective term and it doesn't apply here. A trans person undergoing life-saving gender confirmation surgery is not the equivalent of FGM. That's insulting.

Kirran

Premium Member
The only reason why it's accepted is because they put you to sleep during it so you don't feel it. Yes, it is basic mutilation of the natural body. I think it should be banned personally.

You are aware that you are going against the opinions of the medical boards of the many countries in which it is performed? It's more you find it 'icky' than anything else. I don't particularly like thinking about the process either, but that's no reason to be against it. It helps people.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not sure. It may be useful for statistical purposes but that's about it.
I can see instances when it's important for safeguarding rights... such as deciding which police officer should strip-search a suspect.

I can also see it as important when trying to combat discrimination on the basis of sex or gender.

Kirran

Premium Member
I can see instances when it's important for safeguarding rights... such as deciding which police officer should strip-search a suspect.

I can also see it as important when trying to combat discrimination on the basis of sex or gender.

Would a man rather be strip-searched by a homosexual man or a homosexual woman?

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
That's exactly the same way I think about race.

For the topic at hand, there is only two genders. How you feel emotionally is completely different than getting boobs and/or getting a penis.
That is all.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's exactly the same way I think about race.

For the topic at hand, there is only two genders. How you feel emotionally is completely different than getting boobs and/or getting a penis.
That is all.
What do you mean by that?

I think one new classification is needed for transgenders.
As for me, I fall under "male", so I don't need that. But nonbinary people may need a gender neutral designation.

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
What do you mean by that?

There are two genders. You are either a man or a woman. Just because someone feels like they are a different gender or no gender, doesn't make that feeling justified. You can get a penis or chop it off, but biologically, you are the gender you were born in.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There are two genders. You are either a man or a woman. Just because someone feels like they are a different gender or no gender, doesn't make that feeling justified. You can get a penis or chop it off, but biologically, you are the gender you were born in.
Incorrect. There's intersex people and conditions, there's brain sex, hormonal sex, etc. Sex and gender are very intricate. There's nothing black and white about it.

No one "chops off" their penis, by the way. That's not how male-to-female gender confirmation surgery works at all. :facepalm:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What is a person with XY chromosomes but who lacks the SRY gene, & appears female?

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
Incorrect. There's intersex people and conditions, there's brain sex, hormonal sex, etc. Sex and gender are very intricate. There's nothing black and white about it.

Interesting, I might need to read up more about it.

No one "chops off" their penis, by the way. That's not how male-to-female gender confirmation surgery works at all.

I'm aware XD

What is a person with XY chromosomes but who lacks the SRY gene, & appears female?

I don't know... Bangable?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
How exactly is it useful? And why are you using "SJW" as a snarl word? Are you right-wing now? :eek: Lol.
It's a useful identifier, it's just one more piece of information that can be used if, say, a person needs to be found. Knowing their gender might make finding the person a little easier, just like knowing their hair or eye color, ethnicity, and height.

I'm not right-wing, nor am I left-wing. There are some issues where I side right, and some where I side left, though (I'm a mess, I know, I have no political home!). I'm an avid anti-feminist and anti-SWJ, it's just a way of expressing a distaste for the victim-complex-toting snowflakes. :p Overall I'm pretty socially liberal, I'm down for open immigration, big on LGBT rights, secular politics, egalitarianism, sexual liberation, drug legalization, ect. ect., I just have a line, you know?

Shad

Veteran Member
What I wonder is, why do we need the state to recognise our gender at all? Rather than go through the complexity of changing one's official gender identity as you develop, of recognising more and more genders, however things turn out, wouldn't it be much easier to simply not recognise gender at all in identification and other documentation? Am I missing some reason why this is useful?

We, people in general, have become accustom to the state defining, protecting, correcting, etc, various subjects that it has become the go-to method for legitimization and resolution of any issue. Marriage and gender identification is a power we have given to the state. For many they will go with the system since it is there. Like you I think the state should get out both issues followed by a simple reform to partner and citizen identification. Public issues, except for public schools, can be solved by the free market in time.