• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Spanking Your Children Be Illegal?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

What do you mean since when? Read a basic statistics book.
People are jumping to conclusions, though the fault is likely that of CNN (or whatever news agency reported it). Here is what this study says
"There appears to be a correlation between spanking and antisocial behavior."
In no way can causation be infered from this.
All an observational study does, and ever will do, is determine the need for further investigation; investigation meaning experimentation.

Yes, the anti-spanking crowd has shown that there appears to be a correlation between spanking and anti-social behavior. They have shown that there is causation. There may be experiments about this, but I have certainly never heard of any.

You have a point, but I think you are extrapolating too far. Just because correlation does not automatically imply causation, does not mean that it *doesn't* lead to the implication. That is, establishing the correlation removes evidence that spankings and antisocial behavior are not connected.

Besides, if it is just a correlation and nothing more, more thorough studies would need to implement statistical blocking to determine whether another factor is causing the antisocial behavior. Such behavior *is* occurring, and the spankings *are* being administered to the children that are more likely to become antisocial; it is simply a matter of whether such an outside factor exists.

In short, neither stance is proven by the study, but the scales clearly lean in favor of the anti-spanking position.

parent_web1.jpg

I need not say any more.

OMFG. :eek: If that shirt is supposed to be a joke, it BADLY misfired.

And let's just say it had damn well better be nothing more than a lame joke, because I won't mince words with the fool who wears it with pride.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
You have a point, but I think you are extrapolating too far. Just because correlation does not automatically imply causation, does not mean that it *doesn't* lead to the implication. That is, establishing the correlation removes evidence that spankings and antisocial behavior are not connected.
Not necessarily. Lots of things can be correlated to each other, it does not mean that they are directly related. It may be common response.
Here is the famous example of this.
The number of televisions owned by Russian families has a strong positive correlation to life expectancy.
Better buy alot of TVs right?...
Or just sheer randomness.
The ranking of UC Berkeley has a strong positive association to the number of people killed in gunfights.
Besides, if it is just a correlation and nothing more, more thorough studies would need to implement statistical blocking to determine whether another factor is causing the antisocial behavior.
That is one way, but there are too many variables to account for. Thats why experiments are vastly preferred.
Such behavior *is* occurring, and the spankings *are* being administered to the children that are more likely to become antisocial; it is simply a matter of whether such an outside factor exists.
Outside factors always exist in a social study. Even in experiments. Thats why I think making a claim for one side or the other is flawed.

In short, neither stance is proven by the study, but the scales clearly lean in favor of the anti-spanking position.
So you agree with me then.
I just keep neutral until one side has better evidence of their position.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
But im closer to the new generation. WOW. Its a fact.

I'm not much older than you penguino and had the opposite reaction to spankings that you did. It is because I got spanked as a child that I myself am OPPOSED to it. So no you don't know how others will react and the fact that you think it benefited you doesn't mean that it benefitted everyone nor does it mean that there aren't/weren't better ways to discipline you that didn't involve spanking.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
If you think about it, my point is worth more. I am a child, i am hte one being spanked, so i know what it feels like and how to react, and how others react. I am of the younger generation
Anecdotal evidence shows nothing.

I am really tired of saying this. There should be a sticky in every debate forum with big bold letters screaming this.

Somkid

If you raise your children well there should never be a reason to do physical harm. However I think basic human rights should extend to children that is to say it is not legal (in most countries) to hit anyone why would it be right to hit a child.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

calm down buddy, it's from The Best Page In The Universe.. It's a completely satirical website

Even if so, I think that's a joke gone too far. Some people, at least in this part of the country, might wear a shirt like that with pride.

I would ignore the law if they made it illegal. If my kid severely disrespects me he's going to be punished.

Very interesting. You would choose not to use the hosts of other methods available for curtailing bad children's behavior?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
MNS said:
Very interesting. You would choose not to use the hosts of other methods available for curtailing bad children's behavior?

What is even more interesting is the idea that a parent who exercises the option to spank would never consider nor use any other form of punishment.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I'm not real big on "time outs". I'm not into beating a child...but I have no problem with spanking. I just don't think it should be outlawed.

Time-out, IMO, is best suited for routine infractions: name-calling, lying about a small matter (such as not cleaning one's room), etc. When that doesn't work, a host of other options exist besides spankings.

And I'm STILL waiting to get an answer to my comments about pedophilia....

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I haven't read the 200 or so replies, so forgive me if I interject on already spoken words.

Raising a child should be to each his own. So long as spanking doesn't evolve into abusive parental behaviors, then the parent is justified in doing so.

I hate to have to resort to sterotypes, but it is believed by many that Asian children often (not always) have good manners and are behaved. Perhaps this is due to the conservative nature of the backgrounds, or maybe perhaps it's because a large percentage of Asian parents raise their kids by spanking as one of the means of punishment.

If we as a society take away a parent's right to individually raise their child, spanking or no spanking, then we're invading some of the most basic rights of free citizens.