• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should some American products change their Ingredients to accomadate Muslims?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Shouldn't it concern more people then just Muslims and Jews if our snack food is being made out of pig spare parts? I think our food should be made out of healthier stuff, especially since so many like snacks. If we bring up the pig spare parts, this is no longer just a kosher/halal issue.

we use every thing a pig provides except the squeek.
The same can be said for most animals.
In the past most of these things were considered delicacies.
They are certainly not bad food.

Kidneys, livers lights, sweetmeats, hearts, cuts, tripes, intestines,trotters, suet and blood. As well as reclaimed meat, find their way into most western foods. Other countries do the same, but are more choosy about which animal is used. and will also use monkey products including brains and all varieties of snake and lizard.
You can even buy bottled bees, ants and locusts and other insects and grubs.
Skins Bones and cartilage are used in the production of Jellies
You will be regularly eating these products if you eat factory prepared food.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What are we sacrificing exactly by giving up pork enzymes in snack food?

As an American, I just want to say that nobody is gonna take away my God given right to cancer, obesity, heart disease, arteriosclerosis,...

all that stuff is guaranteed by our Constitution.
Pretty sure. :yes:

freethinker44

I was just browsing the internet and came upon a website where Muslims were discussing what chips and snack foods they can and cannot eat, due to some chips and snacks using pork enzymes in the ingredients.

They were saying that in Middle Eastern countries some of our brands use halal ingredients that aren't halal here in the US.

I suppose my question is this- some Muslims want the US to change our snack ingredients to be halal. Should we do this? Should we stop using pork enzymes?

How do you feel on this matter?

No we should not. I have been in the middle east and had their version of american name-brand food and it doesn't taste the same at all. Their traditional food is great but the american brands over there are terrible.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I didn't say that, but you act like removing pork enzymes from snack foods would be so terrible.
What I want to know is, why are you not concerned over other religious dietary restrictions besides Kosher/Halal?
I'm just trying to help a Muslim or a Jew enjoy a bag of Doritos or something without the guilt.
Here are some of the flavors they can currently enjoy... (No Pork Enzymes)

DORITOS® 1ST DEGREE BURN® Blazin' Jalapeno Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® 2ND DEGREE BURN® Fiery Buffalo Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® COOL RANCH® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® FIERY FUSION™ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® FLAMAS® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® LATE NIGHT® ALL NIGHTER CHEESEBURGER® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Pizza Supreme Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat COOL RANCH® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat Spicy Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat Spicy Sweet Chili Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Spicy Sweet Chili Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Stadium Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Taco Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Tailgate BBQ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® TAPATIO® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips

Source

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was just browsing the internet and came upon a website where Muslims were discussing what chips and snack foods they can and cannot eat, due to some chips and snacks using pork enzymes in the ingredients.

They were saying that in Middle Eastern countries some of our brands use halal ingredients that aren't halal here in the US.

I suppose my question is this- some Muslims want the US to change our snack ingredients to be halal. Should we do this? Should we stop using pork enzymes?

I dislike the practice of raising animals for slaughter, especially in a factory/heartless sort of way.

I do not think, however, that removing an ingredient for a religious reason is worthwhile, unless a company specifically wants to address the market of those that have that demand.

Generally speaking, I think the Food and Drug Administration should be kept to fairly simple and streamlined operations. Enforce cleanliness, quality, good documentation, and strong regulatory frameworks for food and medicine producers, and provide a consistent and simple framework for revealing what is in the food.

The FDA already does this for the most part, but I think a useful addition would be to add, on that line under the typical ingredients list that points out some potential allergy-causing ingredients, whether a food product contains animal parts (and perhaps if it contains a specific animal as well). When I was in college, they made this fairly simple by labeling things in the food areas clearly as "meatless" or "vegan" if they qualified, as well as items that meet religious guidelines.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
As an American, I just want to say that nobody is gonna take away my God given right to cancer, obesity, heart disease, arteriosclerosis,...

all that stuff is guaranteed by our Constitution.
Pretty sure. :yes:
I'm pretty sure I have the right to eat like a pig and drink like a fish. I for one do not want a body that out lives my mind so I can wonder an alzheimer wing and be a burden on future generations.

My plan is to fall over dead while doing something I love rather than crapping in a diaper in some nursing home for decades.

croak

Trickster
No we should not. I have been in the middle east and had their version of american name-brand food and it doesn't taste the same at all. Their traditional food is great but the american brands over there are terrible.
If you're talking McDonald's and the like, then I wouldn't know. American food like burgers, though... we've got some good stuff here. :drool:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

DORITOS® 1ST DEGREE BURN® Blazin' Jalapeno Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® 2ND DEGREE BURN® Fiery Buffalo Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® COOL RANCH® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® FIERY FUSION™ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® FLAMAS® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® LATE NIGHT® ALL NIGHTER CHEESEBURGER® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Pizza Supreme Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat COOL RANCH® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat Spicy Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Reduced Fat Spicy Sweet Chili Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Spicy Sweet Chili Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Stadium Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Taco Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Tailgate BBQ Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® TAPATIO® Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips

Source
But what if they really just want the original ones? Heartless, just heartless.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure I have the right to eat like a pig and drink like a fish. I for one do not want a body that out lives my mind so I can wonder an alzheimer wing and be a burden on future generations.

My plan is to fall over dead while doing something I love rather than crapping in a diaper in some nursing home for decades.

Hey, I hear ya. Already made up my mind that the first day I leave the house without my pants (sober) I'm going to cover myself in A1 sauce and head for the nearest game preserve.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, I hear ya. Already made up my mind that the first day I leave the house without my pants (sober) I'm going to cover myself in A1 sauce and head for the nearest game preserve.

I needed that laugh today. Thank you. :)

Otherright

Otherright

Nope. They don't change it for vegetarians like my wife. Why change it for others?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

If food like chips and cheese and candy etc. were produced to accommodate vegetarians, can you imagine how much bigger the target market becomes? So many more people would purchase those products and profits would rise.

And I would get to eat more. End of story.

In the end, whatever generates the most revenue will win out especially with these big companies. There isn't much of a demand for halal products in the U.S., just because theren't many Muslims. I don't think they should HAVE to change their products, but if they did, it might get them business from Muslims as well as Jews.

Of course, one way to make everything easier would be to cater to vegetarian consumers, which would meet the religious-dietary needs of everyone.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

Should that not read with your pants? I thought Heather had suitably corrupted you. :trampo:

Mazdak

Most Muslims I know just by kosher food if it's something pre-packaged and doesn't contain meat. They're fine with it as long as it doesn't contain pork.

Bismillah

Submit
tumbleweed41 said:
Hi tumbleweed41 actually it depends on whether they also contain other animal parts concerning dhabiha for some Muslims.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

It is my opinion that Muslims should ask the companies if they are willing to accommodate the request.
Some companies will, some companies won't.
Simple as that.