• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Religious leaders be involved in any form of public school employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yea you may be right, maybe no religious people at all would be better then.
Like I said before, nobody should be allowed within 100 yards of a child, including the child himself/herself.

You never know who's going to be a bad influence, so best to just play it safe... right? ;)

Of course. No one's arguing that. We're arguing the assumption that religious people automatically abuse people.

well you go right ahead and feel that way but I'm going stick to religious leaders who fail to make moral distinctions by carrying teacher union principals (they all do )and think they can seperate their religious beliefs after choosing the bad practices of teachers who have done wrong its alot like doing wrong to a child without being the perpetrator but then I guess if your hockey teammate starts a fight you should back them up all the way ...of course depending on which team you're playing for that day because obviously you like playing for one team more than the other and the players are more important than that other team .

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
I completely abide by the law. AND I'm a good teacher. and I'm really starting to feel very attacked here when no one here who's doing the attacking knows me or how I teach or how I am religiously at all. This IS personal to me. Don't you people realize you are attacking random innocent people who have done nothing to warrant your venom???

Take it up with those who are ruining it for all clergy.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
No, but a spade is a spade. You want to deny people employment based on a stereotype, that's bigotry.

Let's allow carpenders to be brain surgeons.
Plumbers can be bankers.
Archeaologists can engineer bridges and skyscrapers too.

When one chooses a career path, one makes certain sacrifises in other areas of life.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Take it up with those who are ruining it for all clergy.

I shouldn't have to. I should expect fair treatment regardless of what some others may do. You don't prohibit all Muslims or Arabs from living in the US because of the actions of terrorists. You don't treat people as if they are white supremacists just because they have their head shaved. You don't treat all members of clergy as if they are abusive proselytizing douchewaffles just because a few might be.

Still waiting for a reply BTW.

Pat Robertson for POTUS?

He has every right to run for President if he so desired, just like the Reverend Jesse Jackson has. Though, I highly doubt he'd ever get enough backing to even make it on a ballot.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Let's allow carpenders to be brain surgeons.
Plumbers can be bankers.
Archeaologists can engineer bridges and skyscrapers too.

When one chooses a career path, one makes certain sacrifises in other areas of life.

And if one chooses the career path of a teacher? And if being ordained is a secondary aspect in their lives?

I shouldn't have to. I should expect fair treatment regardless of what some others may do. You don't prohibit all Muslims or Arabs from living in the US because of the actions of terrorists. You don't treat people as if they are white supremacists just because they have their head shaved. You don't treat all members of clergy as if they are abusive proselytizing douchewaffles just because a few might be.

perhaps religious leaders who are employed in public schools should not be allowed to vote , or ride on public transit systems , and have a curfew .

IndieVisible

Official Party Crasher

He has every right to run for President if he so desired, just like the Reverend Jesse Jackson has. Though, I highly doubt he'd ever get enough backing to even make it on a ballot.

Because of all the bigots that stereotype right? :)

IndieVisible

Official Party Crasher

perhaps religious leaders who are employed in public schools should not be allowed to vote , or ride on public transit systems , and have a curfew .

Perhaps, but I would be happy if they stay out of public schools and government

IndieVisible

Official Party Crasher
regardless the reason your vote in favor of abolishing religion and their leaders in schools makes me want to cry with joy .

We need a safe haven (not heaven) for our children in public schools free from any bias towards religion. I also would like our government to be that way to.

This idea is actually the most fair for every one regardless of which religion or lack of religion! We must remain secular in order to be able to pursue what ever religion or no religion we want with out any interference or prejudice, or meddling.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Still waiting for a reply BTW.
Needlessly, because I already gave you one.

Pat Robertson for POTUS?
I wouldn't vote for him myself (assuming I could vote in American elections), but I still wouldn't prohibit him from running.

Edit: there's a difference between "I'd rather have someone else be President" and "I won't allow you to be President". Also, I realize that Pat Robertson's a dangerous religious nutbar. My reasons for not voting for him are in the "dangerous nutbar" part, not the "religious" part.

We need a safe haven (not heaven) for our children in public schools free from any bias towards religion. I also would like our government to be that way to.

This idea is actually the most fair for every one regardless of which religion or lack of religion! We must remain secular in order to be able to pursue what ever religion or no religion we want with out any interference or prejudice, or meddling.

Therefore , In my opinion , any person with relgious leadership or strong influencial affiliation with religion , doesn't belong in public schools.

Draka

Wonder Woman

It's not the most fair for those who love to teach and just happen to be ordained. There are plenty of us who are ordained who also believe that schools should be secular and religion shouldn't be taught and know boundaries. To think we don't is really insulting our intelligence. The thing is, there are plenty of people who are not ordained who get their religious ideas across in a classroom. Hell, I had a college instructor (who was not clergy) who actually wrote a book about how Christian myth doesn't qualify as myth and that all other myths out there were just preparing us for the "truth" of Christianity AND he had it as a required book purchase and reading for his class on Myth and Literature. Now, tell me why such a person is legally able to work as a teacher and I shouldn't be?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hell, I had a college instructor (who was not clergy) who actually wrote a book about how Christian myth doesn't qualify as myth and that all other myths out there were just preparing us for the "truth" of Christianity AND he had it as a required book purchase and reading for his class on Myth and Literature. Now, tell me why such a person is legally able to work as a teacher and I shouldn't be?
What?! And violate the long-held academic tradition of professors writing second-rate textbooks and then forcing their students to buy them?! :D

IndieVisible

Official Party Crasher
It's not the most fair for those who love to teach and just happen to be ordained. There are plenty of us who are ordained who also believe that schools should be secular and religion shouldn't be taught and know boundaries. To think we don't is really insulting our intelligence. The thing is, there are plenty of people who are not ordained who get their religious ideas across in a classroom. Hell, I had a college instructor (who was not clergy) who actually wrote a book about how Christian myth doesn't qualify as myth and that all other myths out there were just preparing us for the "truth" of Christianity AND he had it as a required book purchase and reading for his class on Myth and Literature. Now, tell me why such a person is legally able to work as a teacher and I shouldn't be?

I would have a problem with non-ordained teachers influencing children too. And we have rules already in place for that. Sadly rarely are they executed or investigated even.

I understand how you feel it is unfair. You might be one of those that would never cross the line! My opinion is such that if we can filter out ordained misiters from any religion during the application process it's a step in the right direction. But as I understand it the way it stands now, your free to teach so what is the problem? It's unlikely that this will become law seeing that over 50% consider themselves religious and a significant percentage of those who do not would still vote for your right to teach. I am just one voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.