• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Religious leaders be involved in any form of public school employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
my issue is more related to my son being physically harmed he did not fight back he never does nor does he swear and is known for his extreme good sportsmanship and pleasant attitude infact he simply said he pushed me down again (another student knocked him down hard three times during a shinny soccer game ) well he was reprimanded for saying that whore knocked me down again by a teacher who was clear across the school grounds and told this by two unsportsman like girls who just wanted to make trouble . Evidently the teacher claimed he admitted to saying those words when he really didn't ,and even went as far as telling the girls to tell my son to come to her , which he did , then she continued to talk and yell so fast that he didn't know what he was nodding to when she went as far as performing a spelling quiz about how to spell the word whore . ALL THIS AFTER PHYSICAL VIOLENCE WHICH WAS COMPLETELY LEFT UNCHECKED OR DEALT WITH . I told her I would have much worse words than whore if someone pushed me down 3 TIMES (he never used the word according to many witnesses and infact has never said the word around us or any of its metaphors or infact any swear word NOONE HAS EVER HEARD HIM SWEAR EVEN AT SCHOOL )..well to make a long story short I went to my church members who happen to work for the school in significant positions . Both replied to me that the teacher in question they know to be a responsible member of the school who they have known for numerous decades and pointed out that I should be the one to accept her lack of ability to deal with physical violence from two children... who come from parents who are important business people in the community . In my opinion it shows these girls are able to control teachers and due to personal need to save their own behinds they took whats right and became pathetic little cowards right before my very eyes just as the freinds of Jesus did (known as apostles) . So my question is based on pure integrity or should I say the lack of it It's all related to how they positioned themselves by being important members of both the school and church . i BELIEVE IF YOU ARE LEADERS IN RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES AND ALSO WORK FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS YOU ARE GOING TO DIG AN AWFUL HOLE FOR YOURSELF WHETHER YOU CHOOSE TO OR NOT AND THIS IS ALSO A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE AND REASON WHY RELIGION AND CHURCH SHOULD BE SEGREGATED EVEN AS FAR AS PHYSICALLY .

Will you turn your back on your congregations members ? Of course you will God did many times over . Its Jesus who did not . Beware every congregation has its apostles .
Well, I'm sorry to hear about your son's troubles. However, nothing you posted points to a conflict between the leaders' religion and school duties.

Well, I'm sorry to hear about your son's troubles. However, nothing you posted points to a conflict between the leaders' religion and school duties.

I truly believe you miss the point horribly could you listen to another sermon from your pastor knowing full well the morals of him is AGAINST YOU ? I truly doubt it or maybe you have no trouble with hugging an ******* .

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I truly believe you miss the point horribly could you listen to another sermon from your pastor knowing full well the morals of him is AGAINST YOU ? I truly doubt it or maybe you have no trouble with hugging an ******* .

Most of us agree that preaching has no place at school; and this seems like an exception rather than rule. But if a pastor is working at a school and only preaches in the Church and his home and not at work, I see no problem with him or her working at a school. You can't truly judge a whole group of people by the actions of one. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
They made a decision you didn't like, and you're saying they should be fired because of something completely irrelevant. That's not priniciple; it's not law. It's a lame excuse for a hissy fit.

ETA: I was on your side until you posted the details.

They made a decision you didn't like, and you're saying they should be fired because of something completely irrelevant. That's not priniciple; it's not law. It's a lame excuse for a hissy fit.

ETA: I was on your side until you posted the details.
*edit*anyhow if someone beats your child and your congregations leaders don't see the problem in favor of an adult thats called child abuse WITH SUPPORT for one you don't use tattle tale kids to fetch An innocent child THATS CALLED BULLYING , next you don't use children for conflict resolution THATS CALLED BULLYING , next you don't blame a child when you were not there and YOU CERTAINLY YOU DON'T PERFORM A SPELLING QUIZ WITH 8 YEAR OLDS ON HOW TO SPELL WHORE *** **** OR ANY OTHER INAPPROPRIATE WORD . and when a parent confronts you you don't mouth them off . *edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
And what did their religion have to do with any of that? Nothing.

ummm 5 less members in a congregation plus the fact when they stand there speaking about being responsible human beings in the church through sermons bigotry will flow from their mouths so it certainly doesn't help them to be upper members of both the school and the church . One reflects on the other and they can't hide from that . It simply doesn't do them any good .One belief will always sacrifice and affect the other , so although there may be no law to prevent them from being employed in public schools but how you respond to bullying and abuse when you are a senior member in a school and church certainly reflects the truth about you and infact is a huge part of religion ...all religions .

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Look, I'm not saying they made the right call. I'm not saying you should continue to go to that church. I'm saying that their religion is irrelevant to the problem. If you want to take action against them, fine - I don't blame you. But you've got more than enough grounds for complaint without making it a church & state issue. In fact, trying to drag C&S into it just makes you look hysterical, thereby weakening your case.

Also, it's not fair to judge all religious folk by their example, much less say they should be barred from helping with schools. It's stereotyping.

Look, I'm not saying they made the right call. I'm not saying you should continue to go to that church. I'm saying that their religion is irrelevant to the problem. If you want to take action against them, fine - I don't blame you. But you've got more than enough grounds for complaint without making it a church & state issue. In fact, trying to drag C&S into it just makes you look hysterical, thereby weakening your case.

Also, it's not fair to judge all religious folk by their example, much less say they should be barred from helping with schools. It's stereotyping.

I have no intention of being hysterical my point is very simple . If you choose to be a bigot perhaps just that fact that you are a leader in a school and church automatically makes you one . I don't think it will do you any favors . Its a simple measurment of why perhaps church and state should stay as far away from each other as possible .

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I have no intention of being hysterical my point is very simple .
No one ever does.

If you choose to be a bigot perhaps just that fact that you are a leader in a school and church automatically makes you one .
That's pretty bigoted.

I don't think it will do you any favors . Its a simple measurment of why perhaps church and state should stay as far away from each other as possible .
No, it really isn't. Church and state has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ISSUE.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't think the point of this thread is that the religion of the teacher had any influence on their actions, it's that their actions called into question their morals and their priorities and THEREFORE affects how their "flock" would look at them. It becomes hard to have respect for your pastor when you know that their actions outside of the church are not up to the expectations of their religious leader standing. I really don't think this has, directly, anything to do with working at a school though. It's the person, not the job that makes an impact. If the pastor worked as a security gaurd somewhere and stood back and ignored someone getting beaten up the effect would be the same wouldn't it?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't think the point of this thread is that the religion of the teacher had any influence on their actions, it's that their actions called into question their morals and their priorities and THEREFORE affects how their "flock" would look at them. It becomes hard to have respect for your pastor when you know that their actions outside of the church are not up to the expectations of their religious leader standing. I really don't think this has, directly, anything to do with working at a school though. It's the person, not the job that makes an impact. If the pastor worked as a security gaurd somewhere and stood back and ignored someone getting beaten up the effect would be the same wouldn't it?
ITA. That's why I'm saying it's not a C&S issue as it was presented in the op.

Draka

Wonder Woman
ITA. That's why I'm saying it's not a C&S issue as it was presented in the op.

Yeah. Personally, I'd love to be a teacher and have tutored on several occasions. Should the fact that I am ordained have any bearing on my ability to teach English or math?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have no intention of being hysterical my point is very simple . If you choose to be a bigot perhaps just that fact that you are a leader in a school and church automatically makes you one . I don't think it will do you any favors . Its a simple measurment of why perhaps church and state should stay as far away from each other as possible .
How does being a leader in a school and church automatically make someone a bigot? Do you think this particular person wasn't a bigot before he got his job with the school?

From your accounts, it sounds like the issue was with this one person specifically. I don't see why you've inferred from this one incident that religious leaders shouldn't work for public schools as a general rule.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I hope you are not saying that a Church leader automatically makes someone a bigot. It almost sounds like it in the quoted statement. If you did not mean that, then I apologize.

But my statement is simple, too: The state can't deny someone a job just because of their religion,faith, lack of religion or faith, etc. That is called discrimination. If the pastor made a bad call, then you can make a complaint about that individual. But if you think that all pastors, clergymen, rabbis, etc. should be banned from certain jobs because you had a bad experience with ONE is generalization (aka stereotyping). (Either that or we can ban all red-heads, green eyed people, people with pierced noses, etc. because maybe you had problem with them, too.)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
All I can say after reading through all this is:

"Teachers don't get paid enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.