• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should religion be tolerated?

I think those terroists took their religion out of its normal belief to an extreme exageration of what they desired and threw in a couple of prayers to make it appear that people of their faith are violent and terroistic. Just like a few from different religions do things that make the whole denomination or faith look bad. Like the instance of a priest or a pastor that molests children. It reflects on the group as a whole or just stereotypes the group.......It is unfair but unfortunately it happens....

It's not the religion that is wrong it is the people within the religion that sometimes should not be tolerated...

It is not just these extremes that do harm, just being born into a religious zealot's family does major harm to children that grow up to have views and opinions of their own, that do not reflect their parents. Not all of them can break away without a lifetime of guilt, feeling they have disappointed their parents, etc. This systematic brainwashing is disgusting. And it should be against the law to expose children to this type of harm. Interesting to note that a lot of these zealots have no problem barking out what is right and wrong when they are not actually affected by any event, and it suits them. But the moment they are personally affected they can change their lifetime morals, philosophy, and views in a split second when it doesn't suit them.
Mary Griffith and the story 'Prayer for Bobby' , highlights this perfectly.
This is what happens and will continue to happen whilst people continue to align themselves with a philosophy that simply condemns you for being human.

Religion is a poison, if you wish to take it..good on you...but force feeding to your children is a crime.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
It is not just these extremes that do harm, just being born into a religious zealot's family does major harm to children that grow up to have views and opinions of their own, that do not reflect their parents. Not all of them can break away without a lifetime of guilt, feeling they have disappointed their parents, etc. This systematic brainwashing is disgusting. And it should be against the law to expose children to this type of harm. Interesting to note that a lot of these zealots have no problem barking out what is right and wrong when they are not actually affected by any event, and it suits them. But the moment they are personally affected they can change their lifetime morals, philosophy, and views in a split second when it doesn't suit them.
Mary Griffith and the story 'Prayer for Bobby' , highlights this perfectly.
This is what happens and will continue to happen whilst people continue to align themselves with a philosophy that simply condemns you for being human.

Religion is a poison, if you wish to take it..good on you...but force feeding to your children is a crime.
Would you object to it being illegal to raising you children as atheists as well?

Absolutely! And while I do not consider myself to be Atheist, the definition is so distorted now, or misunderstood or used out of context, I would never instill my ways on my child. I am an impatient person by nature, I would not like my child to grow up the same, for his sake and everyone elses. But I will not be lecturing him on the subject of being impatient.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, basically, it's your stance that we should leave our children in complete ignorance?

So, basically, it's your stance that we should leave our children in complete ignorance?
No I don't think that will happen. There were many children who were left in ignorance but have grown into adults that have chosen their philosophy...one that resonates with them..rather than having it forced down their throats as the only way..I personally truly like your philosophy, but would also object to it being taught to young impressionable minds before they are mature enough to decide for themselves. If the worry of ignorance became a real problem, then they could be taught for example, that your philosophy exists, as does Christianity, as does Islam, as does many others. Let them know there are many choices, expose them to those choices so that they are aware. It is the ramming of one absolute truth, especially one that trades on fear and damnation that is offensive and should be outlawed.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Is it just me, or do the majority of atheists who rail against the teaching of faith to children, and call for it being outlawed, are also the ones who usually wish for, or would have no problem with, religion being wiped of the globe?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Is it just me, or do the majority of atheists who rail against the teaching of faith to children, and call for it being outlawed, are also the ones who usually wish for, or would have no problem with, religion being wiped of the globe?
Seems to me that most theist would not mind religion being wiped off the globe.
Well, all religions but their own, that is.

Jordan St. Francis

My Opinion

I personally truly like your philosophy, but would also object to it being taught to young impressionable minds before they are mature enough to decide for themselves.
Well this is foolish. There is no necessary opposition between raising children with one's values and teaching them, at the same time, a self critical spirit which will flourish in maturity and preserve their intellectual freedom.

By the the logic of your argument, neither should we be raising children with any values at all, like many of the basic humanistic presumptions which drive our modern day human right's discourse and which nourish much of our current legal hermeneutic. These are not "facts" open to empirical verification, but involve their own philosophies.

You would have us leave children in the dark until they are, what, 18? At which the point they wouldn't be adults but simply persons vulnerable to the winds of whatever ideology comes their way- including radical ones such as fundamentalism.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

If we diverted all money from church organisations to starving people around the globe there would be a lot less starving people. Religion is big business.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It almost seems as though some are saying that religious people are bad by nature and atheists are good by nature. There are bad theists and there are bad atheists and there are good theists and good atheists. Condemning all religious people to not being compassionate is very absurd and not true. Think about it- atheists don't like it when theists (Christians in this case) call them sinners- so how do they counterattack? By saying Christianity is evil and the few nice Christians are a rarity. Am I the only one who sees this as hypocrisy?

Janette

Truth to be told,this one isnt much of a mystery to me, doing away with religion wont help because it is within the individual that the arguement sparks. If you take away religion/beliefs of any kind, the children will simply find a new toy to fuss over.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
If people can be respectful and kind with it, sure but religious people have demonstrated that they can't.
You need to show that every religious person has shown an inability to do so for this statement to be true. Good luck.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
It almost seems as though some are saying that religious people are bad by nature and atheists are good by nature. There are bad theists and there are bad atheists and there are good theists and good atheists. Condemning all religious people to not being compassionate is very absurd and not true. Think about it- atheists don't like it when theists (Christians in this case) call them sinners- so how do they counterattack? By saying Christianity is evil and the few nice Christians are a rarity. Am I the only one who sees this as hypocrisy?
Frubals.