• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should religion be taught in science class?

SOGFPP said:
What other ideas? I believe in Christ, so my kids are being raised Christian. To expose them to say, voodoo or ritual killings for the sake of being liberal would be the real disservice.
First of all, are you comparing all non-Catholic religions to voodoo and ritual killings? :confused: Secondly, it would not be a disservice at all! National Geographic exposes people to that kind of thing all the time, and it has great educational value. I kind of agree with mersault....what's the harm in learning about other religions/cultures?

Teachers teach, but parents TEACH..... get me?
Good point. Too many parents have forgotten their role as teacher to their kids.

Ceridwen018

Ronald said:
None of my family are monkeys! I am not pond scum. My ancestors were created in the image of God. Baruch Hashem/Blessed be He/The Name, creator of the universe.

I hear this a lot. People believe in creationism because they feel that as humans, not only are they too good for pond scum now, but they're too good to have ever been pond scum in the past either. Unfortuantely, evidence shows that we probably did come from pond scum.

What's so bad about coming from 'pond scum' anyway? It doesn't change anything about our superiority now. We're still top dog on this planet. Also, you and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals, and thats a proven fact. The knowledge that we are but simple animals kind of does away with the whole 'chosen ones' idea. We may be dominant now, but the day dolphins finally evolve opposable thumbs, we're toast.

Scott1

Mr_Spinkles said:
First of all, are you comparing all non-Catholic religions to voodoo and ritual killings?
Not at all my friend............. my kids get that kind of exposure all the time, but there are limits..... that is what I was trying to say.

National geographic does not profess a certain cult or religion to be the truth, they only offer an exposure, a snap shot of their life per se..... that's the difference with what I was trying to say.... hope you understand.

Peace,
Scott

mersault

SOGFPP-
Okay, I am glad your kids get some exposure to other ways of life, and I can understand your protectiveness. I believe there are several threads in this forum that mention memes, and your actions can be explained by meme theory. I do respect that you are going to extremes to raise your children as you see fit, and your mention of parental influence was great, as Mr Spinkles said. No, I don't have kids, but I am a kid and I was just speaking from personal experience.

Ronald-
Actually, there are several competing theories of gravitation. Newtonian physics says that gravity is a constant force that is generated by large quantities of matter. Einstein's theory of gravity posits that space is curved and celestial bodies create indentations that everything follows, illustrated by the classic balls on a tablecloth demonstration. Then there are newer and much less accepted theories of gravity like the shifting theory of gravity or the inertial theory of gravity. Some people even believe that gravity can be quantified into individual particles known as gravitons, although no one has ever detected a graviton. All I am trying to say is that there is no reason that one theory, though it may be imperfect (such as Einstein's general relativity), cannot be applied to the world, especially if it has been backed up by scientifically gained evidence. The reason few people believe in gravitons is because no one has seen them. The reason lots of people believe in relativity is because there is a body of scientific evidence out there that supports it. Thus it is with evolution versus creation.

I personally believe that they should teach a mandatory World Philisophies class and run the gammut. Teach people a little something about something other than one little slice of americana. And making it philisophy they could incorporate other things into it such as Aethiesm and Agnosticism. Which are actually philosophies, not a spiritual null as many seem to think.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ronald said:
None of my family are monkeys! I am not pond scum. My ancestors were created in the image of God. Baruch Hashem/Blessed be He/The Name, creator of the universe.
Your ancestors were monolatrous polytheists, coalescing around a primitive shasu cult of yhwh, and bombastically boasting of the genocide of the Midianites and the enslavement and distribution of their virgin daughters. Meanwhile your ancestors were telling their own daughters that the pain and frequent death that accompanied chilbirth, and their absolute subservience to male society, were just retribution for acts over which they had neither control nor responsibility. Don't disparage pond scum.

(Q)

I believe in Christ, so my kids are being raised Christian. To expose them to say, voodoo or ritual killings for the sake of being liberal would be the real disservice.

To perpetuate the fear and hypocrisy taught by Christianity to your children is no ones business but your own. But to do so and restrict their exposure to other concepts is not a disservice, it is an atrocity, sir.

Simply put, no it should not be.

The classroom is not a political forum, where both sides of every argument get equal time even if one of them is a loon.

Did you know that theories such as superstring theory or Stephen Hawking's black hole radiation theory are not taught in high school science class because they're still considered fringe theories? Why should creationists get a free pass into the classroom ahead of such theories? They've published a lot of books for the general public, but they've never bothered to submit a single official paper to the scientific community, defining the mechanisms and predictions of their "theory".

Quote from here.

That sums up my opinion.

(Q)

Did you know that theories such as superstring theory or Stephen Hawking's black hole radiation theory are not taught in high school science class because they're still considered fringe theories?

This is rather misleading. Those theories are not taught in high school because the mathematics are far too complex, however you can study them in university if you so desire.

they've never bothered to submit a single official paper to the scientific community, defining the mechanisms and predictions of their "theory".

Quite frankly, they should submit papers. If they did, they could at the very least have their theories scrutinized by peer review and shown collectively any flaws. This is how we learn.

IceFire

Did you know that theories such as superstring theory or Stephen Hawking's black hole radiation theory are not taught in high school science class because they're still considered fringe theories?
Hmmm and now I'm wondering why I was taught these things in high school.

On a simplistic note, the Theory of Evolution starts with the question of how we came into existence and gradually builds and redefines itself as more knowledge from scientific research is gained. It does not in any manner address the subject of God...it neither rejects the existence of God nor substantiates it.

My definition of Creationism is the belief in the literal translation of Genesis in the Bible, not simply the belief that God created the world.

Creationism starts with the 'answer' about how we came to be (created by God in 7 day (24hr./day) approximately 10,000 yrs. ago) and then looks for evidence to support it. Any evidence that does not support or distorts this belief is automatically rejected.

Simply put, Creationism is based upon faith not science. It does not utilize the stringent criteria of methodology used by science to research and develop a scientific theory.

It should be taught in a philosophy or world religions class but not a science class.

Well I am fairly sure that God needs to be brought up in high school science. I know that since I am going into high school i would encourage the topic of religious aspects playing a role in science. Kids today go without answers and become lost as to if God really exsists, I know many atheists and non- believers at my high school and its because none ever taught them anything, and if they at least knew of Him then maybe some kids would go to a church and seek more knowledge and possibly even get active i nthe religious community.

(Q)

I know many atheists and non- believers at my high school and its because none ever taught them anything

So, a lack of education leads to a non-belief in gods. I have many colleagues who would disagree with you.

Yes I am sure that many people would disagree but the fact remains that more and more teens are losing faith and i believe that if it were at the very least introduced to them in school that they may seek out God or at least some kind of faith.

(Q)

School is not the place for religious indoctrination. Faith can't be taught as it precludes the rational.

You also make the assumption that faith in gods is a requirement. It's not.

civilcynic said:
(created by God in 7 day (24hr./day)
That may not be entirely true. In the Bible it says " A thousand years more is just a day to God" i think that its possible that noone may ever know when it specifically happened I mean for all we know he couldve taken a billion years to create the solar system and then tenthousand to create man. How can you be sure it was really 24 hours?

LittleNipper

The problem is that scientific STUDIES and THEORIES are being presented as authoritatively CORRECT and absolute. Oh a science teacher may suggest that there may be ALITTLE "fine tuning" still to be accomplished; however, the FACT is that problem areas are not being discussed with the same fervor that EVOLUTION is being presented in.

This underminds investigative faith of searching youngsters. They hear the EVOLUTION is a done deal. They are told the Universe MUST be BILLIONS & BILLIONS of years old. There is no room given to the simple fact that we still have incomplete data. There is NO room for the FLOOD, which I feel can, would, and did have an influence on ALL the data we inspect.

In public schools, there seems to be very little room for "WHAT IF", unless it helps to substantiate secular reasoning. Unfortunately, IF GOD does in FACT exist----then very little effort is being directed in encouraging the public school "student" to ponder the possibilities or the responsibilities. I am ashamed of our public educational system. It has become tool for secular thought and atheistic manipulation.

Very true. Our schools are taking religious aspects away daily and not just in learning I am taling about all of it pretty much anything to do with God is being dragged out. I am most afraid of what could happen in a few years.