• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Religion Affect Your Choice in a Relationship?

Should Religion Affect Your Choice in a Relationship?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Can't make up my mind...

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Montalban

painted wolf said:
Love is.

IMHO if you fall in love religion shouldn't matter. You do not choose who you love, there is no litmus test for it. No queing up prospectives and handing out tests.

wa:do

I don't think lovers should ignore what goes on with the lives of their other halves. I mean, sure Eva Braun loved Hitler, but she should have mentioned to him to 'calm down' a little.

The same with religion. As well, people who have a common set of values are likely to last longer together.

Tawn

Well put it like this: what makes you decide to love someone and spend the rest of your life with them???

Usually it is their intellect, personality and values that you love about a person.. maybe their looks if you are shallow ;)
Since religion plays a part in shaping those aspects of a person, it can often be very important to be of 'compatible' religions.

AtheistAJ

I do think if people are religious they should marry a member of same cult. On the other hand I don't think there should even be religion. But as I would be most prone to marrying an atheist because of same belief I understand the decision - and approve of it. Otherwise it's likely the whole relationship is based only on looks and/or net-worth.

Fatmop

I don't mind, either. It's too bad most of my girlfriends have.. but then, I did live in the Bible Belt.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halcyon said:
Cult is a correct term for any religion, its just more commonly used to describe dangerous religions e.g. Heaven's Gate.
Let's disagree...

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
Love is.

IMHO if you fall in love religion shouldn't matter. You do not choose who you love, there is no litmus test for it. No queing up prospectives and handing out tests.

wa:do
Sunstone said:
I think if both partners are respectful, tolerant and accepting, then it shouldn't matter what religions they are, even if their religions are very different.
I agree with both of you; one of the main points of love (which often escapes some people's notice) is that love is accepting the partner for who he/she is, not what you would like them to be.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Me being agnostic and my boyfriend being Muslim has caused absolutely no problems and we´ve been together on and off for years now. (Now it´s on, yay!).

... Except when he teases me for my pronounciation of Ramandan. They put a bloody D in it, it should be said like that. >:{

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose some people are more in love with religion than they are with their partners, and that such people should not marry someone they are religiously incompatible with.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There will always be some disagreement on this subject.

The fact is religion usually does affect a relationship, even if it does not affect the choice.
if religion is only of token value to you and your intended it is not likely to be high on your list of traits you are looking for.
If you are serious in your religious beliefs, the chances are you are living a full religious life, and hopefully you will find your match within that circle of friends.

All things being equal, if you do find a partner in your own faith, it is an added strength to your relationship rather than a threat to it.

Terry__________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
There will always be some disagreement on this subject.

The fact is religion usually does affect a relationship, even if it does not affect the choice.
if religion is only of token value to you and your intended it is not likely to be high on your list of traits you are looking for.
If you are serious in your religious beliefs, the chances are you are living a full religious life, and hopefully you will find your match within that circle of friends.

All things being equal, if you do find a partner in your own faith, it is an added strength to your relationship rather than a threat to it.

Terry__________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.
I think that is true. After all, people rarely rush into a solid relationship without knowing each other a while. If one partner is obviously a very Religious person, and the other not, they will either compromise, or go each in their own direction.;)

Yes to a point.

I mean I'm pretty isolated up here in Canada, so I can't really say I will only be in relationships Rastawomen... love doesn't work that way (besides there goes my chances of ever being in a relationship lol).

Where I would draw the line is saying thast one would nevcer be in a relationship with a member of X faith.

One Love
CanuckRasta

DeltaYankee

I was in a relationship with a woman a while back who did not want me to tell her 10 year old daughter that I was an atheist. She (the woman) didn't even want her daughter to know there was such a beast!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It shouldn't, but it depends on how tolerant the two people are. Obviously a person who takes the Bible to be the literal word of God wont date a Wiccan, but a Christian with an open mind might not have any problems with it.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
It would be interesting to actually find someone compatable with my religous outlook on things. Although it is important (because i dont shut up when it comes to religion), it shouldn't be the only thing...

Bishka

Veteran Member
I think it just all depends on the person. Personally it affected my relationship, because I wanted to get married in the temple, so I had to find a LDS guy.