• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should people with STIs/STDs be tattooed?

SoyLeche

meh...
Aqualung said:
I never denied that. I just said it was much, much, much more uncommon.
Aqua, I think you accidentally inserted a "not" into a statement a while back, causing this confusion.

Faint

mr.guy said:
Jensa, how's it coming with that "*******" tattoo? Think we have a taker.
See, when someone lacks the intellectual capacity to argue my logic, he/she tends to resort to childish personal attacks. I didn't know we were back in elementary school. Sticks and stones, darling...

mr.guy

crapsack
My failing intellect in no way proves the validity of your stygmatization. Your logic is absent. You've yet to prove how a brand would make somebody less likely to transmit AIDS. As sunstone has very rightly pointed out, the means of hidding such a brand would be simple; the additional stygma is entirely unecessary. Your means of prevention in no way address those catching the disease via needle-sharing. It's quite obvious the amount of thought you've put into this plan of yours accounts for how trite it is. Your lack of concern for humanity is evidenced with the ease with which you call down this demonization of the ill. It's kinda sad, really.

Popeyesays

Faint said:
Things change.
Never said it was.
When we find the cures we can remove the tattoos.

If you're going to start debating the terms that I use, I advise you to first get your definitions right. There is no hot iron or fire involved in tattooing. You would be better to say "marking" or "applying a warning label to..." for instance.
Except that you have conveniently forgotten that the infected are also part of the human race. Again you're trying to twist my argument into some kind of campaign for treating the sick like they aren't human. Meanwhile, the wise will understand that after the tattooing is out of the way, the infected can continue living their lives to the best of their abilities (considering their symptoms). No one here has yet to provide a good arguement as to how tattoos are going to ruin these peoples lives.
Yes, they are morally crippled. We should apply hot irons to them. Brand them as it were.
Cruel and unusual punishemtn protection is part and parcel of the Bill of Rights, did you plan to change that too?

Now, suppose a person infected makes love with someone who is not. Is the person who is NOT infected not responsible for his/her actions? Is it entirely the fault of the infected person. It seems like TWO people are engaging in dangerous behavior, not one.

perhaps we should tatoo BOTH because they are both of lax morals?

Who's the judge of what is moral?

Who makes you the judge of other people's afflictions? We'd best mark everybody with tatoos for ANY infection they do or possibly COULD have. So everyone would now be labeled as potentially harmful - are you ready to roll up your arm?

Regards,

Scott

Regards,
Scott

Faint

mr.guy said:
My failing intellect...proves the validity of your...logic...a brand would make somebody less likely to transmit AIDS... It's quite obvious the amount of thought you've put into this plan of yours.... Your...concern for humanity is evidenced with...ease.
At last we agree.
(I'd make an excellent spin doctor, I think)

Faint

Popeyesays said:
Cruel and unusual punishemtn protection is part and parcel of the Bill of Rights, did you plan to change that too?
If necessary, yes. Our government needs an overhaul anyway. But that's for another thread.
Popeyesays said:
Now, suppose a person infected makes love with someone who is not. Is the person who is NOT infected not responsible for his/her actions? Is it entirely the fault of the infected person. It seems like TWO people are engaging in dangerous behavior, not one.
Well, as other people have mentioned, anyone who has sex is accepting a risk, and you must bear responsibility for what you choose to do (or not do). In your example, no it is not the previously clean person's "fault" (assuming they were lied to or the condom broke, for instance). But would they still have made love if the infected person was tattooed?

Popeyesays said:
perhaps we should tatoo BOTH because they are both of lax morals?
It's not about a "lax morals". Sex isn't immoral, so lets not go there.

Popeyesays said:
Who's the judge of what is moral?
Me.

Popeyesays said:
Who makes you the judge of other people's afflictions? ?
I make me the judge of everything, including the afflictions and safety of others. I refuse to accept any authority as superior to my own.
Popeyesays said:
We'd best mark everybody with tatoos for ANY infection they do or possibly COULD have. So everyone would now be labeled as potentially harmful
Please read my previous posts in this thread. They will explain that I'm not advocating tattooing people for every infection, only those infections that meet a certain criteria.
Popeyesays said:
are you ready to roll up your arm?
??? How exactly does one roll up his arm and what do you mean by this?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Out of curiosity, Faint, are you just playing devil's advocate here or do you seriously believe that we need to mark people like cattle if they have an STD/I? Weren't the last people that did that the Nazis?

Popeyesays

Jensa said:
Out of curiosity, Faint, are you just playing devil's advocate here or do you seriously believe that we need to mark people like cattle if they have an STD/I? Weren't the last people that did that the Nazis?
Remember that only those who were actually registered into the camps got tatoos. Most of those selected for immediate liquidation (read it to be gassing upon arrival) they did not bother tatooing them.

Regards,
Scott

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Think Bright said:
Hey, having tats attracks scanks and man pigs and that's gonna spread Aids. Get real folks
Wow...way to win friends and influence people. Do you realise just how many of us here HAVE tattoos? Why don't you just come right out and tell us what you really think of us.

Ernesto

Yeah, someone gets an S.T.I., so let's make their life that little bit more miserable by stamping them permamently with some label of their 'type' of being.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
yes because extemist reations to issues always fixes them. :rolleyes:
We all know how well the stocks worked in preventing crime back in the day... and the scarlet letter... and cutting people hands off for theft keeps people from stealing.

A tattoo will definatly prevent a communicable disease from spreading. :banghead3

wa:do

Popeyesays

painted wolf said:
yes because extemist reations to issues always fixes them. :rolleyes:
We all know how well the stocks worked in preventing crime back in the day... and the scarlet letter... and cutting people hands off for theft keeps people from stealing.

A tattoo will definatly prevent a communicable disease from spreading. :banghead3

wa:do
Cherokke? Oklahoma? I live in OKC, my wife has a little Cherokee, but my one eighth NA is Blackfoot.

A tatoo MIGHT cause some body to say no thank you, but that's what everyone thinks a condom is for. Condoms malfunction, and most people are not aware that ten per cent of the time there will be some kind of rupture in the latex, so it won't work absolutely.

Nor will it stop transmission through blood exchange in the case of medical emergencies which is how most health care professionals are exposed. So, I see it as advocating "branding", a cruel and unusual punishment when mandated by a court, for poor return in prevention.

Regards,
Scott

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Every time I see the title of this thread, I get a shiver down my spine. Somehow, the idea of having a tatoo for having an std frightens me; will we then start having tatoos for other reasons ?

mr.guy

crapsack
Popeyesays said:
Condoms malfunction, and most people are not aware that ten per cent of the time there will be some kind of rupture in the latex, so it won't work absolutely.
May i ask, where did you get this number? I've only seen it on vatican.ca.