• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should nuns do it.

Elessar

first of all sorry for making this post i don't think it is the appropriate thread but if it's a wrong place to post it in, then please tell me so that i can delete the message.

can i know why nuns are called mothers if they have never done it,
and why are preists called fathers if they too haven't done it.

it seems rediculos to me to call a a nun and a preist, a mother or a father, it doesn't make sense can you guys help me.

and sorry for the intrussion but i had to ask, this seems like an appropriate place but then again it may not be, so please tell me, and i hope no one gets offended by my questions.

Probably, not the right place, but I'll give the best answer I can from without. As I understand it, a priest is considered the spiritual father of his community, and is thus given the title, Father, in representing that. Nuns, actually, are usually called "Sister", but the administrative nuns, the ones that run monasteries or orders, are called "Mother" because, like a priest, the Mother is the spiritual mother of her monastery or community of nuns.

If I'm not mistaken, "Pope" is simply an English transliteration of the Latin for, "Father", i.e., that he is the spiritual father for the whole Catholic community.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Probably, not the right place, but I'll give the best answer I can from without. As I understand it, a priest is considered the spiritual father of his community, and is thus given the title, Father, in representing that. Nuns, actually, are usually called "Sister", but the administrative nuns, the ones that run monasteries or orders, are called "Mother" because, like a priest, the Mother is the spiritual mother of her monastery or community of nuns.

If I'm not mistaken, "Pope" is simply an English transliteration of the Latin for, "Father", i.e., that he is the spiritual father for the whole Catholic community.

thank you for your explanation,
now should i remove the questions or not are they dissrespectfull?

and since you say spiritually i don't understand, isn't it kind'a strange to call a preist a father, i personally could not do it, and especially if he was to be younger than me, how strange would that be, but anyway thanks for your explanation.

what about mother theresa, she too was a mother, a universal mother and she never even had kids (i'm asking the same question but the spiritual thing doesn't sink in),
do you or anyone else know of her life? where was she born and what would have happened to the christian/catholic community of the world if she was alive, and was she a saint or something or just a simple "mother".

UnityNow101

And that's why one uses the Oxford English Dictionary:

Cult, n. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Well, looking at it in that light, everything which the Christians deem strange or sinister should be seen as a cult, as they have the numbers to be able to call any religious order "relatively small." Every religious group would and could be defined as a cult using that definition, as they have the numbers to "prove" that they are not that!

Elessar

thank you for your explanation,
now should i remove the questions or not are they dissrespectfull?

and since you say spiritually i don't understand, isn't it kind'a strange to call a preist a father, i personally could not do it, and especially if he was to be younger than me, how strange would that be, but anyway thanks for your explanation.

what about mother theresa, she too was a mother, a universal mother and she never even had kids (i'm asking the same question but the spiritual thing doesn't sink in),
do you or anyone else know of her life? where was she born and what would have happened to the christian/catholic community of the world if she was alive, and was she a saint or something or just a simple "mother".

By, "spiritual", what I mean is that, according to Catholic tradition, these people are responsible in G-d's eyes for the salvation of their "children", i.e., their parishoners, to make sure that those people under their "care" as spiritual "parents" are delivered safely to G-d, and that it is their duty to guide their "children" to Heaven and to Christ.

At least, that's how I understand it. I am not, myself, a Roman Catholic, or even very close to most of their doctrines. I derive my knowledge from one previous Catholic girlfriend and my religion studies.

Surya Deva

I agree that Nuns should have equal roles that male priests do. At the same time Nuns are not being forced into being Nuns, if they disagree with the system, then leave the system. I know if was a Nun, I would have long left such an unfair religion. When the Vatican see a mass-exodus of nuns leaving their religion, they will change their rules themselves. But if Nuns are content where they are, then who are we to complain on their behalf?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucian

Theologian
I agree that Nuns should have equal roles that male priests do. At the same time Nuns are not being forced into being Nuns, if they disagree with the system, then leave the system. I know if was a Nun, I would have long left such an unfair religion. When the Vatican see a mass-exodus of nuns leaving their religion, they will change their rules themselves. But if Nuns are content where they are, then who are we to complain on their behalf?

Don't you mean equal roles that male monks do (which they already have)? Why on earth should nuns be the equivalent of priestesses? The question should be whether to have priestesses or not.

As for that "cult", I can safely say all religions that worship something are cults, or have in them cults. That's what the word means, worship (Latin cultus; for further information on the word look HERE). It's commonly used in religious education and does not mean anything beyond that. Using the word in a sense with which they want to hurt others just shows the malicious spirit of the person using it.

Last edited:

Greatest I am

It doesn't, as far as I can tell, treat it's followers like cults do - limiting contact with outsiders etc...

I do not see mainstream christianity as cult-like, whatever the flavour, be it catholic or protestant etc

My way or hell seems limiting to me.

Limiting women to a rear seat is also limiting.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

first of all sorry for making this post i don't think it is the appropriate thread but if it's a wrong place to post it in, then please tell me so that i can delete the message.

can i know why nuns are called mothers if they have never done it,
and why are preists called fathers if they too haven't done it.

it seems rediculos to me to call a a nun and a preist, a mother or a father, it doesn't make sense can you guys help me.

and sorry for the intrussion but i had to ask, this seems like an appropriate place but then again it may not be, so please tell me, and i hope no one gets offended by my questions.

These are Church custom and fashion. Not too important to God.
Discrimination is.

Your religion to my small knowledge of Islam places women even further back than Christians does it not?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

What position is the Hindu god taking on this question. Equality or something else.

Regards
DL

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I myself am a male, I am not a priest. I do not think more highly of a priest than I do myself, nor do I think of men as better than women.

Thats comparing apples and oranges..You your self (as a male) had the CHOICE to become a priest had you so desired..A woman does not..Thats the difference..

Love

Dallas

Troublemane

I am wondering if it may be a bias against women clergy that dates waaaaaaaaayyyy back to the time of the OT, when temple prostitution was commonplace.

Nowadays televangelists have raised prostitution of religion to whole new levels, but thats for a different thread. :D

Surya Deva

What position is the Hindu god taking on this question. Equality or something else.

Regards
DL

There is equality between men and women in Hinduism. Women can take on the highest position in Hinduism, a Guru, and even educate men.

Lucian,

Monks have a chance to assume a higher position like priest, bishop, pope, but nun don't. This is unequal indeed, but if the nuns have no problem with this inequality, there is nothing we can do on their behalf. If they disagree with it, then simple, leave that religion and join one where your rights are respected.

Greatest I am

I am wondering if it may be a bias against women clergy that dates waaaaaaaaayyyy back to the time of the OT, when temple prostitution was commonplace.

Nowadays televangelists have raised prostitution of religion to whole new levels, but thats for a different thread. :D

On women.

Genesis says that woman is to be submissive to man because she was tempted ahead of Adam. Many believe that since Adam was created first then it follows that he should lead. You will recognize as I do the logic of this view for those harsh days when might made right and that men and woman by force of circumstance had to take these roles. Men as the stronger in a world where strength is required would naturally take the lead. I have no problem with this.
Today is, you will agree, a world where this physical strength is no longer required. Unless we want to say that women are mentally inferior to men, then there is no good reason for them not to lead if like men, they have shown their worth. To say then that a daughter is of less value than a son is silly. In many households today, women are of more financial importance than men. In the past this was not so. Men, by our nature, will always be the physical protector of the family. Having said that, there is no reason to deny, if earned, women not be the leaders of families. A sharing of roles will likely be the ideal. Who knows, in 100 yrs, men’s physical prowess may have deteriorated to a point where the differences between men and women, physically, will be the same. Was it Sparta where all citizens were warriors? This may be the future but without the wars I hope.

Make any sense?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

There is equality between men and women in Hinduism. Women can take on the highest position in Hinduism, a Guru, and even educate men.

Lucian,

Monks have a chance to assume a higher position like priest, bishop, pope, but nun don't. This is unequal indeed, but if the nuns have no problem with this inequality, there is nothing we can do on their behalf. If they disagree with it, then simple, leave that religion and join one where your rights are respected.

Your religion has just gainned a good notch in my books.

What about Gays?

Regards
DL