• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I wear my pentgram to work?

Kcnorwood

We've sort of touched on this before here, I have a friend there who thinks I should wear it after all it is a free country so I should be able to express my belifes just like anyone else she says. There's also a part of me that worried about someone saying something not the people I work with but customers. I'm just about to get past my 90 days there & get promoted to the dept I want to me, I've had nothing bad ever said about me, just that I'm a hard worker. Any advice would be good please! :bow:

So just you newcomers out there I am not doing this for shock value I want to be able to show my faith just like anyone else.

OH, I do live in the biblebelt.

Ori

Angel slayer
Well if it's a free country then go for it, personally it wouldn't bother me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I would do it anyway :)

If they give you dirty looks, smile. If they are polite, you continue to be polite back. If they ask about it, tell them the truth or tell them that you're not in the right place to discuss something so personal. Above all, smile, and continue to do what pleases YOU. No one else can make you happy, and if wearing the pentagram makes you happy, **** everyone else and go for it! :D

RevOxley_501

i would wear it, although i might wear it under the shirt and not all bling blanging everywhere---just because it doesnt look professional (neither does a cross or star of david)

Kcnorwood

RevOxley_501 said:
i would wear it, although i might wear it under the shirt and not all bling blanging everywhere---just because it doesnt look professional (neither does a cross or star of david)

I would never flash it around, besides it's not very big more then likley I'd wear it under my shirt just because of all the heavy lifting that I do.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'd wear it, i used to wear mine at the shop i worked at, i wear it to my lectures and seminars - made for quite a good discussion with one of my religious studies lecturers down the pub one night (he's a christian)

"your beliefs do conflict with my own claim to truth, but speaking as an academic, it's good to have more varied points of views on the discussion table, let me buy you a pint!" :D

he's a great lecturer!

anyway, i'd wear it, but if you are going to wear it, wear it because you are confident in who you are, and for no other reason.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Kcnorwood said:
We've sort of touched on this before here, I have a friend there who thinks I should wear it after all it is a free country so I should be able to express my belifes just like anyone else she says. There's also a part of me that worried about someone saying something not the people I work with but customers. I'm just about to get past my 90 days there & get promoted to the dept I want to me, I've had nothing bad ever said about me, just that I'm a hard worker. Any advice would be good please! :bow:

So just you newcomers out there I am not doing this for shock value I want to be able to show my faith just like anyone else.

I wear mine everywhere, well, almost everywhere. I'd say that if people have a problem then you can put it inside your shirt. I thought that I'd have a problem, but I haven't yet, people may surprise you.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Kcnorwood said:

I say any bling is good for the heart - hee hee - I have worn crosses, pentagrams, St. Christopher medals, a Star of David, and Celtic crosses. Because they are purty.

If ppl want to make an issue out of jewelry, that's just silly.

IMO people who get all worked up and exercised over perceived offenses to their overblown sense of political correctness deserve nothing but a good healthy dose of mockery and ridicule.

(hey, wonder if that will fit on my sig line...) :angel2:

just my 2c.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Kcnorwood said:

I'd wait till you get the promotion -- for your own benefit, not anybody else's. :D You say you live in the Biblebelt. You know how narrow-minded some people can be. Of course you should be able to wear your pentagram whenever you want to, but you might end up not getting your promotion if you do. It's up to you whether you can live with that or not.

Booko

Deviled Hen
What Katz said. Sure, it's a free country, but you shouldn't have much longer to wait for the 90 days to pass. Though if it's under your shirt, then that doesn't matter.

I'm lucky as the Baha'i star has 9 points (usually like 3 triangles) so people usually mistake it for a Star of David.

But you know, if someone says anything about it, honestly just give it your best ditsy act (I know this is much easier for frumpy middle aged blondes, but it works for others too ;)) and just tell them, "Gee, I've always like stars since I was a little kid. Aren't they just NEAT?"

Give 'em your best Barney the Dinosaur voice -- that should scare them off pretty effectively. If not -- they'll die of diabetic shock shortly and still be out of your hair. :D

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
My thoughts are to just go for it. Wear it. It is a part of you and probably is a good reminder for you about what you stand for. I've worn a chain for a wee while. Whenever I feel a little confused about something, the chain is a little reminder to me about what I believe, and although the confusion doeesn't always leave, I can know how to adress it :D

And if the company you work for does not agree, then are those the kinds of people you want to be around? For looking professional, I can agree, and say it wouldn't be a big deal to keep it under your shirt.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
If you want to wear it, then wear it.

However, if you feel at all like part of the reason you want to is for the attention value, then don't do it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From my own personal experience, don't wear it in view unless you are in a position to lose your job. Just because they say they don't discriminate, doesn't mean they won't nit-pick about other things to get you fired over.
I had to threaten to drag into lawyer into the scene to keep my job when the corporation boss wear I use to work saw me wearing mine. I wasn't even on the clock, as I was thier for a volunteer fund raiser day. And believe me, the office watched me very close looking for things to fire me over. It also led to the first time anything was said about my hair length. Company policy is for males it can't be below the colar. Mine was longer when I hired in. All of a sudden, it was too long, and I was wrote up for it.

jacquie4000

If you are comfortable with it then where it. If it relects you and who you are and you don't have a problem (meaning be secure in yourself) If people see you as secure they are less apt to say anything. If you look like a target they might target you. I have no problem with anyone showing off what they believe in their heart as long as it does not harm anyone.

Kcnorwood

Luke Wolf said:
From my own personal experience, don't wear it in view unless you are in a position to lose your job. Just because they say they don't discriminate, doesn't mean they won't nit-pick about other things to get you fired over.
I had to threaten to drag into lawyer into the scene to keep my job when the corporation boss wear I use to work saw me wearing mine. I wasn't even on the clock, as I was thier for a volunteer fund raiser day. And believe me, the office watched me very close looking for things to fire me over. It also led to the first time anything was said about my hair length. Company policy is for males it can't be below the colar. Mine was longer when I hired in. All of a sudden, it was too long, and I was wrote up for it.

I was working over night at this one place things were going great untill someone found out I was Wiccan. Next thing I know I'm getting into trouble for little things that had nothing to do with my work. Next thing I know I was let go, the night mamager said I had tried to run over him with a pallet jack! Just so you know this is IMPOSSIBLE with pallet jacks have wheehs as big has a skateboard.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia

Wear it if you want! Who cares what losers think of you? I'm a pretty hard-core Christian, and I wouldn't mind in the slightest. It IS a free country, people. Some people I know are offended by the stone I wear as a pendant around my neck. It is from the mountains, so I like having them close to my heart. But I have had people think that I'm a pagan, or new ager, of all things! Just because I'm choosing to wear a ROCK. So whatever, people are idiots. If you like it, then go for it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Kcnorwood said:

If you have to ask, I wouldn't, or you probably shouldn't. That is, if you're going to attract negative attention to yourself, it's better not to wear it. However, if you think that the people at work are mature enough to handle it, and the pentagram is tasteful jewelry, go for it.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
angellous_evangellous said:
If you have to ask, I wouldn't, or you probably shouldn't. That is, if you're going to attract negative attention to yourself, it's better not to wear it. However, if you think that the people at work are mature enough to handle it, and the pentagram is tasteful jewelry, go for it.
What he said. Sure you SHOULD be able to wear it... it's a question of, "Is this a good idea..."

If your common sense gland starts screaming at you when you ask that question... there's your answer.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
While I support what your friend says, I would add a qualifier. "You should be able to wear it." Unless you feel a personal call or need to wear it, don't wear it. Being able to do things shouldn't mean you have to. If you want to show your faith, you also have the option of wearing something that represents the Path but that doesn't have the immeadiate negative connotations that some people have to the sign of the pentagram. When I've gone to work with a pentagram on, people scowl at me until I prove that I'm as easy-going and helpful as they are. For my own particular approach to the path, I feel more connected with the triple-moon symbol. When I have worn that to work, people actually ask me about it, and I am able to explain its personal relavance to me and my religion, and they usually seem a lot more tolerant and interested than they might have been if they hadn't asked.

But seriously, if you hear the call to wear that symbol, then nobody should stop you! I'll celebrate your choice, either way!